Reload this Page >

Where would you go??

Where would you go??

Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

yodanic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where would you go??

Hi Everyone

My husband and I are considering a short term visit (12 months?)to australia with our 3 children, all aged 9 and under, to dip our toes and see if we like the culture, climate etc.
I am a secondary trained humanities teacher but have an interest in special needs - Ive read a lot of threads on here that suggest that although teachers are in short supply there aren't actually many jobs.

Im also struggling to find out exactly what the requirements are to teach special needs - i have done a bit in the UK without anything particular to qualify me other than my secondary training.

we won't have the funds to be self sufficient for long and wondered if ayone had any recommendations? I have heard whispers about a WA sponsorship scheme where work and accommodation is sourced for you.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help
x
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you go??

When you say you won't have enough funds to be self sufficient for long, do you mean after that first year? It is a long time for children to be out of school isn't it? even if ypu are happy to pay, the tourist visa will not permit them to go to school for a year.

I have never heard of a state scheme that provides work or accommodation, plenty of migrants happy to find their own so no need for schemes.

I can understand why someone would want to try before they buy so to speak, but the system does not really offer that unless you can get employer sponsorship which is unlikely for a teacher. I would bite the bullet and.go skilled migrant route, probably cheaper than living on a tourist visa gor a year.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

gilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by yodanic
Hi Everyone

My husband and I are considering a short term visit (12 months?)to australia with our 3 children, all aged 9 and under, to dip our toes and see if we like the culture, climate etc.
I am a secondary trained humanities teacher but have an interest in special needs - Ive read a lot of threads on here that suggest that although teachers are in short supply there aren't actually many jobs.

Im also struggling to find out exactly what the requirements are to teach special needs - i have done a bit in the UK without anything particular to qualify me other than my secondary training.

we won't have the funds to be self sufficient for long and wondered if ayone had any recommendations? I have heard whispers about a WA sponsorship scheme where work and accommodation is sourced for you.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help
x
Hi, WA did have a scheme like that a few years back but they have scrapped it i am afraid.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

shussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really nice

Hi,
Because it's such a long way and so expensive to get here and get yourselves set up I would recommend trying to get a permanent visa before you come. I understand the need to test the water but the costs really stack up, you could spend a lot on your tester year that may be better spent getting permanence residency sorted.
All the best with your plans.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

There are teacher exchange schemes which might suit you guys - you basically swap lives with an Aus teacher and stay for a year (eg http://www.cyec.org.uk/exchanges/com...acher-exchange but there are others). Otherwise you will need a permanent visa in order to be able to work in Aus - and you are right, there arent many teaching vacancies in the places that people actually want to live.

If you can afford to nomad about the place, homeschool the kids and not need to work, then, by all means come on a tourist visa and be self sufficient on your savings.