Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where would I find Aus teaching vacancies to apply from UK

Where would I find Aus teaching vacancies to apply from UK

Old Jun 25th 2007, 3:08 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Question Where would I find Aus teaching vacancies to apply from UK

Hi guys, just a quick one, a friend who is currently in the UK, is looking for teaching vacancies in WA (pref Perth metro/northern suburbs) is there a website which anyone could direct them to, to browse any current vacancies. They already have a visa, and are validating it in a couple of months.

Cheers if you know.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default Re: Where would I find Aus teaching vacancies to apply from UK

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Hi guys, just a quick one, a friend who is currently in the UK, is looking for teaching vacancies in WA (pref Perth metro/northern suburbs) is there a website which anyone could direct them to, to browse any current vacancies. They already have a visa, and are validating it in a couple of months.

Cheers if you know.
not sure i can help, but word of warning!a lot of migrant teachers have to do a 3yr stint in country{the bush/aboriginal schools---not desirable} before they get a job in the city,they are desperate for teachers, but i have heard a few horror stories,i'm sure agents don't tell you about the 3yr stint in the bush when applying for your visa,maybe some areas of australia are different from perth,but seen a government official on tv last night pleading for migrant teachers to do their 3yrs in country after which they will be assured of permanancy{i assume most teachers have a pr visa when they arrive?}

i'm sure there will be a few people on here who will know exactly what the case is with teacher employment and vacancies.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers if you know.
Tell them not to apply to government schools if they can possibly avoid it.

I wrote a lengthy reply on the subject a few weeks - I'll see if I can find the thread.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers if you know.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=teaching
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

The other thing they could try is Saturdays' The West (online) and AISWA's (independent school's) website. You can register your availability on the latter.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Cheers if you know.
Could also be worth posting in the teaching section of the BE site -- lots of good info there. As I understand it in NSW you are "assigned" by the dept of Ed.... Still not got my "approval to teach in NSW" yet so still at the pre-application stage...
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Is she registered to teach there? You have to register with the state teaching authority, same as in every state. Not sure if you can apply for jobs before registering, I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to teach.
Not sure if that applies to independent schools though?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by esperanza
Is she registered to teach there? You have to register with the state teaching authority, same as in every state. Not sure if you can apply for jobs before registering, I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed to teach.
Not sure if that applies to independent schools though?
You can apply for jobs but will need to register before taking up the appointment. I applied for registration before arriving in Australia.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:08 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to everyone who has responded, any more info would be greatly received.

Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:17 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone who has responded, any more info would be greatly received.

Thanks
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/

try here and perhaps registering for relief work rather than permanent work!
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/

try here and perhaps registering for relief work rather than permanent work!
in VIC the way in the doro for primary certainly seems to be through CRT (supply) which then makes you permanent. It seems as though unless they know you first they are not interested so get your CV round to as many places as possible
Lisa.x
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:10 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Hi

My sisiter in law is in Queensland and as a teacher had to complete 40 days supply teaching before she was able to apply for permanent positions. Although 40 days does not seem like alot it took her quite a long time 6 mths plus before she was getting regular work and therefore able to get the 40 days.
She finds that supply teaching pays well but she found it very demoralising at first. She still temps as she gets regular work and can afford to work only 3 days or so supply and earn the same money as if she were working full time in a permanent position. She has been a relable supply teacher so is more or less guaranteed the supply work.

I do't know if this rule applies in all states but worth checking out as it could mean that you maybe stuck not earning for a while until you get your self established.

Good Luck
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:34 am
Karma earned, not whored

Thanks for the replies, and experiences in other states, but its WA we are really interested in. Any more input from people with experience of the situation in WA, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the replies, and experiences in other states, but its WA we are really interested in. Any more input from people with experience of the situation in WA, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
I teach in WA and there isn't a lot else to say!

AISWA website - register details with them for independent schools

Contact DET for state jobs.

WACOT for registration.

The West on a Saturday for independent school jobs.