Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where would this Forum be without???

Wikiposts

Where would this Forum be without???

Old Jun 1st 2003, 3:17 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ceri
Well Mr/Ms Pom - thou do protest too much.
You know what you can do if you don't like your Anglo blood don't you?
Perhaps you should meet Mr Philip Nitschke and do yourself a favour
Cheers
Well Ms Maddie - you protest too much about about the trivial.
You know what you can do don't you.
Nitschke is a humanitarian, what are you?
Old Jun 1st 2003, 3:26 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Megalania
Well Ms Maddie - you protest too much about about the trivial.
You know what you can do don't you.
Nitschke is a humanitarian, what are you?
Quite agree he would be quite the worlds humanitarian - if he would only give you some little help.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 3:31 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Quite agree he would be quite the worlds humanitarian - if he would only give you some little help.
Remember, I have Anglo blood, just a drop in the wrong ocean. He should start at the font.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bryank
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Rosy returning after 8 weeks is beyond belief.

& despite her concerns about OZ education, all the (objective) studies show the standards are comparable.

Firstly Bryank, I would like to say that i did not return after 8 weeks. My initial post on the "Diary of an Immigrant" thread was probably misleading. I meant we`d only been in our new house for 8 weeks. We had, in fact, been here some considerable time before that staying with relatives, travelling around places etc.
So I can understand why you got the impression I`d only been in Australia for 8 weeks - sorry!

Secondly, you may have seen my other posts, where I speak fairly favourably of Australia (e.g. 13th May - "it`s a great place") etc. etc.

I still think it is. We WILL be returning to the UK in the not too distant future, for reasons which I have again stated in previous posts, and those reasons will still be very valid whether we stay for another 8 weeks, 8 months or 8 years.

You are probably right about the standards of education surveys showing "comparable" results, but from my personal experiences (and I can only speak of those), I find the situation far from "comparable".

Education is only one reason why we are returning. I will miss lots about Australia, and we`re still glad we came, but we believe we have made an objective decision based on our own personal experiences.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 8:01 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

The problem here folks is that unless you have ever felt like this you have absolutely no idea what it is like. I have not once seen Rosy say don't come here, it is awful, just that it is not for them as it was not for us.

It is the same old story if someone should dare to say the don't want to live in Australia they must need a brain transplant or something because no one absolutely no one should ever not like Australia or not be able to live there.

From my point of view Australia is a lovely country, for a holiday but to live no thank you give me the UK anyday for others it is there dream home and they never look back.

Come on everybody instead of pulling people down support them and try and understand it from their point of view, yes this is a forum where everyone can have their opinions but sometimes the answers are a bit below the belt.

I don't agree with a lot of the things that PB says, but I do find him quite amusing sometimes, Dotty on the whole talks a lot of sense but their input is as important as that from those who love the life downunder or think they will.

Be happy everybody life is to short

Old Jun 1st 2003, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
The problem here folks is that unless you have ever felt like this you have absolutely no idea what it is like. I have not once seen Rosy say don't come here, it is awful, just that it is not for them as it was not for us.

It is the same old story if someone should dare to say the don't want to live in Australia they must need a brain transplant or something because no one absolutely no one should ever not like Australia or not be able to live there.

From my point of view Australia is a lovely country, for a holiday but to live no thank you give me the UK anyday for others it is there dream home and they never look back.

Come on everybody instead of pulling people down support them and try and understand it from their point of view, yes this is a forum where everyone can have their opinions but sometimes the answers are a bit below the belt.

I don't agree with a lot of the things that PB says, but I do find him quite amusing sometimes, Dotty on the whole talks a lot of sense but their input is as important as that from those who love the life downunder or think they will.

Be happy everybody life is to short

thanks for that... It`s nice to know at least someone else knows what I mean!!!

As you say, I have never tried to put people off coming here - in fact I actively encourage it! - better to try and say "not for me" than spend your life thinking "what if..." BUT, I hate it when people label me as a "failure" or whatever, just because I have decided it`s not for me... I certainly don`t see myself as a failure. I had the guts to uproot myself from my family and large circle of close friends and try something different. I also believe it takes at least as much guts to admit things aren`t as you had hoped and have the courage to put that right.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
I meant we`d only been in our new house for 8 weeks. We had, in fact, been here some considerable time before that staying with relatives, travelling around places etc.
Ahh.... .....that explains it then...think we all mis-understood that bit, apologies granted!
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:04 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rosy'ism

Rosy???...not THIS Rosy..."I have never tried to put people off coming here - in fact I actively encourage it..." here are just a couple of ringing endorsements...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Quality"? sorry to disappoint you here, but the quality of houses over here is abysmal compared to the UK. Yes, we can all say we`ve got a huge house, pool, fantastically large garden here, but the QUALITY of the workmanship is appaulling.

Size isn`t everything, as I`ve learnt just recently!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are right to be concerned about primary education here - it it pretty dire, to say the least. Everyone in the UK moans about the state of education, but at least the pupils who want to learn do so over there - here, they learn NOTHING.
The people there [in Sydney] were REALLY friendly - and this refers to a reply I received to my first "Diary" entry - Yes, I have to agree having been here for a bit longer now, that the Queenslanders are a bit "false" and a bit full of the old "bull". This was not the case with the Sydneysiders though. They were genuinely friendly. BIG DIFFERENCE.
I just hope you don`t end up in Queensland then mate. My hubbie is also the "kind of bloke that can turn his hand to many things". He started up in business when we arrived here, but soon found out how restrictive the licencing laws here are - that`s why there are so many cowboys out there.

He says it`s like being back in the 70`s/80`s in the UK, where if he wanted to get a bolt put onto a steel structure (he`s a coded welder by trade) he had to get someone else to do it, because it "wasn`t his job".

Here, you HAVE to have a licence for EVERY skill you might use in your job - he is also a qualified spray painter, but if he sprays a 2 pac kitchen, he is unlicenced to remove a cupboard door - if anything goes wrong, the owners could (and knowing their "sue them" mentality over here, probably would) sue him.
I am glad you feel you "fit in" here - and sincerely hope you will enjoy your life, but it`s not as easy as you portray.
Noticed quite a bit about house sales (or rather hoped-for sales) in the UK, and how the sales seem to go through when the price is reduced by, say, 10%.

Just like to say that where we are (Brisbane) most Real Estate Agents (aka Parasites of the highest order) like to give prospective "clients" a very high price that they say the house will sell at (thus getting the business of selling the house), and then 6-8 weeks down the line, when no-one has shown the slightest serious interest, suggest to the sellers that they should reduce their price by at least 10% - hey presto, the sale is then achieved pretty quickly.

We know at least 3 couples who have had this scenario our area in the last few weeks.

Seems to me like they`re the same the world over - all bull and commission rates...

So...all houses in Australia are crap....all primary education in Australia is crap...all Queenslanders are false and full of "bull"...most Brisbane real estate agents are parasites...all tradesmen are cowboys...and so it goes...all very helpful...and how long have you been here...oh a couple of months...and your defence is..."I tell it like it is"...crap...and your lie is..."I have never tried to put people off..."

As for the rest of the cRAP out Australia Cru, the rap sheet is too long...but the backbeat is the same.

Last edited by Florida_03; Jun 1st 2003 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:16 pm
Banned

At least she has the gumption to rack off home so we don't have to put up with years of whinging. Pity Immigration doesn't test for whinging quotient.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 10:29 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

For a start I've never muck raked intentionally. If you do not like the fact that I dislike Aus that's your problem "mate". ANYONE who says "this is the best country ever" about ANY country in the world are lying through their teeth, or they need a reality check. (P.S dislike is maybe a too harsh a word - dislike some things, like others)

No 2, unless you're an Aborigine Florida (and all other Meg cronies and rejects) - you are more of a "Pom" than I could ever be.(Ever looked at your flag? your white history, or the language you speak)

One more thing, thank god not all Aussies are like you, or we would not employ them if they had your type of attitude.

I wish you all the best in the USA because with your one sided , derogatory attitude you're going to need all the luck which one can throw your way.
Don't call me "mate"...I'm not your "mate"...and this IS my country by Birth and Happenstance...and I'm proud of it...go home and be proud of your OWN country...as for never muck racking...you're kidding right...???
Old Jun 1st 2003, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rosy
Originally posted by bryank
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Rosy returning after 8 weeks is beyond belief.

& despite her concerns about OZ education, all the (objective) studies show the standards are comparable.

Firstly Bryank, I would like to say that i did not return after 8 weeks. My initial post on the "Diary of an Immigrant" thread was probably misleading. I meant we`d only been in our new house for 8 weeks. We had, in fact, been here some considerable time before that staying with relatives, travelling around places etc.
So I can understand why you got the impression I`d only been in Australia for 8 weeks - sorry!

Secondly, you may have seen my other posts, where I speak fairly favourably of Australia (e.g. 13th May - "it`s a great place") etc. etc.

I still think it is. We WILL be returning to the UK in the not too distant future, for reasons which I have again stated in previous posts, and those reasons will still be very valid whether we stay for another 8 weeks, 8 months or 8 years.

You are probably right about the standards of education surveys showing "comparable" results, but from my personal experiences (and I can only speak of those), I find the situation far from "comparable".

Education is only one reason why we are returning. I will miss lots about Australia, and we`re still glad we came, but we believe we have made an objective decision based on our own personal experiences.
Firstly I respect your view of returning, however is the only reason simply Education?

If it is then what Education do you want for your kids?
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 3:47 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Florida_03
Don't call me "mate"...I'm not your "mate"...and this IS my country by Birth and Happenstance...and I'm proud of it...go home and be proud of your OWN country...as for never muck racking...you're kidding right...???

Esgusodwch fi! Firstly Florida "Deary" I responded to attack you made on me, so quit the self-righteousness why don't you. Your original post " Happy trip home Rosy, PB, Dotty, Ceri and you other know-all, self-righteous, arrogant poms. Be gone"

Secondly, "proud of your own country" I'm not the one with an American username, a Jack on my flag, or holding up Saesneg. So don't even go there Uf**r gwi**on

Thirdly, I am here for a reason, I did not search for job here in Aus, I actually did not seek to come to Aus. We (hubby and I) were offered to come here (to open up a branch here by an Australian Company who was linked to the company in Sing, we then asked for a transfer - long story, not with the same company any more - we now run our own branch, funded by an Australian businessman (the competition to my previous company). We employ Australians besides other nationalities - and for you to say "go back home" shows you do understand the concept that all people here did not come to escape anything, but came here with business.

I have never muck raked intentionally. If I do not like something, I will say so, if I like something I will also say so. This is a forum; different people have different experiences and views. If you do not like someone else's view, that is your problem. Not everybody can share the same views - boring old world if they did.

So before you attack a person (me in this case), remember you have given that person a right to respond in exactly the same manner to your original attack

Good luck (or is graciousness/politeness not one of your strong points either)
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Rosy'ism

Florida - I bet you`re a really cute, sweet guy underneath it all, aren`t you???

In my defence, I stand by what I said - I have NEVER said "don`t come" to anyone. I still maintain people should try it. Everyones circumstances are different.

I speak based on my own experiences. If that means saying that I`m disappointed with the education system, or find the quality of homes here poor, then I`ll say it.

I stand by my comments on self-employment in trades - it is a FACT. However, my comments on this issue should not be, and were not meant to be, taken as trying to put people off. I was merely pointing out that if you wish to work legally, there are a lot of regulations to be complied with.

So label me a "Whinger" if you wish. I can take it.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
Florida - I bet you`re a really cute, sweet guy underneath it all, aren`t you???

In my defence, I stand by what I said - I have NEVER said "don`t come" to anyone. I still maintain people should try it. Everyones circumstances are different.

I speak based on my own experiences. If that means saying that I`m disappointed with the education system, or find the quality of homes here poor, then I`ll say it.

I stand by my comments on self-employment in trades - it is a FACT. However, my comments on this issue should not be, and were not meant to be, taken as trying to put people off. I was merely pointing out that if you wish to work legally, there are a lot of regulations to be complied with.

So label me a "Whinger" if you wish. I can take it.
Rosy,
Hope you can ignore these idiots. Know that you come across to at least one person as a reasonable being who has seen the place for themselves and decided to go home. You are making the right decision. They will find out for themselves and, when they do, they will either have the guts to state it publicly like you and return or, more likely, console themselves with bragging to their old friends and family and lying to themselves.
Good luck and God bless from an old man who knows what you mean. I am trapped here now. You are not. I envy you.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 10:34 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
Rosy,
Hope you can ignore these idiots. Know that you come across to at least one person as a reasonable being who has seen the place for themselves and decided to go home. You are making the right decision. They will find out for themselves and, when they do, they will either have the guts to state it publicly like you and return or, more likely, console themselves with bragging to their old friends and family and lying to themselves.
Good luck and God bless from an old man who knows what you mean. I am trapped here now. You are not. I envy you.
Gawd...where's my violin...?

Oh well guys, looks like all of us who are planning on going to Australia are going to end up back in the UK. Or we are going to end up bitter and twisted living in Australia. Why are we doing it? Maybe we should all just sit here on our butts for the rest of our lives and not try anything different or new.

Is there a link somewhere on t'internet that someone can find that shows how many Poms go to Oz and then return again to the UK? I'm sure somebody can find one.

Right that's it. I'm gonna stop the whole process right now of this immigration stuff. I'm obviously wasting my time and my money coz I'm just gonna end up back here anyways....

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.