Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where would this Forum be without???

Wikiposts

Where would this Forum be without???

Old May 29th 2003, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where would this Forum be without???

Originally posted by Gra.B
I reckon you could have enough of your own material without using anyone elses!
I think you are mistaking Sociology for Psychology!!! A Sociological thesis based on one person - think that research would be seriously flawed!!!
Old May 29th 2003, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
We sold our house in April 2002 - the prices in our area (near Winchester) were climbing steadily upwards at that point, but since then they have soared even further - just take a look at the Land Registry figures if you don`t believe me.

Secondly, we converted at a rate of around 2.6 to the £. Hardly "one of the best exchange rates you could hope to get" was it? I recall at some point last year they were nearly 3 to the £.

The dollar HAS strengthened in recent months, but is still around 2.52/2.54 if we wanted to convert back. We are not "quids in" as you put it, taking into account all the expense in coming over here.

Hope that explains my reasoning a bit better.
You were unlucky with the exchange rates then . You must have converted your money round about May 2002 because that's the only time the rate dipped as low as 2.6 the whole year. By July it had shot up to 2.95 and stayed at around 2.8 for the rest of the year.

You still caught the end of the housing boom by selling in April though. I put my house on the market in July (also in the S of England) and sold it at the end of October. I doubt that I would have sold for more if I'd left it any longer because the market had flattened out by then where I was.

Unless you are seriously unhappy then I don't see why you don't give Australia a bit more time. In a few more months I'm convinced that you could buy back the equivalent of your old UK property for significantly less than you sold for. You may even make a small profit on your Brisbane home.

I arrived in Brisbane in January this year. It took me about 3-4 months to settle. During that time I could probably have returned to the UK if I'd been given half an excuse. Now I am loving it. The only thing that is going to make me leave here is job situation (I can't get one !). Even then I would probably not move back to the UK because I am level-headed enough to remember the reasons I left there in the first place.
Old May 30th 2003, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
I think you are mistaking Sociology for Psychology!!! A Sociological thesis based on one person - think that research would be seriously flawed!!!
..errr....no.......I was referring to your material (posts)....about such things as the state of ozzie education, employment, building, etc...
Just had a glance through today`s topics and posts, and got to wondering - if we all stopped posting about how awful the place we live in is, how much less time I would spend trawling through this site!!!

So far, we`ve had

"My weather`s better/worse than yours"
"My property`s worth more/less than yours"
"My children`s school is worse/better than yours"
"My crime rate`s higher/lower than yours"
"My TV`s better/worse than yours"

etc. etc.
....so if you don't like trawling through it all, then just delete all your posts related to the above...you'll get through it in no time after that! Sorted!!

Glad to help!

..have to just add that I kind of agree with the other two, after 8 weeks there everything was wonderful, then a few weeks later it was terrible! I'm sure you can see why people question it. I'm not picking holes or anything, or with my other comments, (hence the smileys!) so don't get cross...

Cheers, Gra..
Old May 30th 2003, 5:30 am
Just Joined

jtipping is an unknown quantity at this point

Nick
Just interested in if you were seeking a job in your skill area or if you were looking for anything that comes around.
Interested to know what the employment situation is really like in Brisbane area as this is the only thing worrying me at the moment.
Jan

Originally posted by etlniwd
You were unlucky with the exchange rates then . You must have converted your money round about May 2002 because that's the only time the rate dipped as low as 2.6 the whole year. By July it had shot up to 2.95 and stayed at around 2.8 for the rest of the year.

You still caught the end of the housing boom by selling in April though. I put my house on the market in July (also in the S of England) and sold it at the end of October. I doubt that I would have sold for more if I'd left it any longer because the market had flattened out by then where I was.

Unless you are seriously unhappy then I don't see why you don't give Australia a bit more time. In a few more months I'm convinced that you could buy back the equivalent of your old UK property for significantly less than you sold for. You may even make a small profit on your Brisbane home.

I arrived in Brisbane in January this year. It took me about 3-4 months to settle. During that time I could probably have returned to the UK if I'd been given half an excuse. Now I am loving it. The only thing that is going to make me leave here is job situation (I can't get one !). Even then I would probably not move back to the UK because I am level-headed enough to remember the reasons I left there in the first place.
Old May 30th 2003, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jtipping
Nick
Just interested in if you were seeking a job in your skill area or if you were looking for anything that comes around.
Interested to know what the employment situation is really like in Brisbane area as this is the only thing worrying me at the moment.
Jan
I'm in IT. People keep telling me to get any job I can and take it from there. Well, I am not prepared to do that. If I was going into semi retirement then I may take that option but I'm not ready for that yet. My industry moves so fast that I cannot afford to be out of it for too long - I will become unemployable. I can earn good money in Europe and I can get a job there almost straight away. If I do get a job here in Brisbane (in my field) then it is almost certain that the pay will be less that half of what I'd get in Europe, maybe even as low as 30%. The taxes in Australia are much higher also. I have to weigh up the two sides and make a decision. If I leave Australia I can always come back here once I've got all I can out of my career.

Brisbane is bad for IT (and I mean very bad). It doesn't seem so bad for other professions. If you are into Health or Local Government then you are laughing. Those two areas seem to be the biggest employers.
Old May 30th 2003, 6:34 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

My TV really is better than yours.
Old May 30th 2003, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

bryank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kath
We've been here (Perth) nearly 1 year (end of June). We wanted to give it 2 years. I think our 2nd year will be better than the first, we've sorted out our son's school (gone private) and there is a chance my husband might move jobs with better pay and conditions. I suppose you can't expect to get everything right straight away, it takes time to establish yourself, every family has different expectations.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Rosy returning after 8 weeks is beyond belief. Being an expat requires building a foundation for your family which takes 6-12 months. Not only that but it takes a while to adjust to the culture/lifestyle of your new country.

& despite her concerns about OZ education, all the (objective) studies show the standards are comparable.

:lecture:
Old May 30th 2003, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Emigrating is a major upheaval and it would be odd if we didn't experience stress, frustration, anxiety etc.
I'm due to go to Oz in the next few months and veer between exhiliration, euphoria and terror!

Thing is, I don't reckon it's helpful to compare with UK the whole time. I love living in Brighton, love my little house (hate the job), love friends and family but want a big old exciting adventure. I am expecting to get there and love some things and not others and find friendly people and unfriendly people, good weather and bad weather etc. It's gonna be different to UK in loads of ways and that will be good and bad. If I go expecting life to be better in every way I'm gonna be disappointed. So I hope I have an open mind and take it as it comes.

Also, I agree that you probably need to give it a couple of years before you work out if it's right. You can then apply for citizenship which makes sense.
Old May 30th 2003, 8:37 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bella
Emigrating is a major upheaval and it would be odd if we didn't experience stress, frustration, anxiety etc.
I'm due to go to Oz in the next few months and veer between exhiliration, euphoria and terror!

Thing is, I don't reckon it's helpful to compare with UK the whole time. I love living in Brighton, love my little house (hate the job), love friends and family but want a big old exciting adventure. I am expecting to get there and love some things and not others and find friendly people and unfriendly people, good weather and bad weather etc. It's gonna be different to UK in loads of ways and that will be good and bad. If I go expecting life to be better in every way I'm gonna be disappointed. So I hope I have an open mind and take it as it comes.

Also, I agree that you probably need to give it a couple of years before you work out if it's right. You can then apply for citizenship which makes sense.
Keeping away from poisonous forums like this one would help. Listening to PB and his groupies would make anyone want to get away. His stuff is crap but you can't stand toe-to-toe with the wacker to have a true debate. If Rosy wants to believe that Australia is crap after barely getting over jetlag who cares (and how would she know).

Don't get me wrong, I think my country will be a much better place without these muckrackers and can't wait to see the end of them. Happy trip home Rosy, PB, Dotty, Ceri and you other know-all, self-righteous, arrogant poms. Be gone.
Old May 31st 2003, 6:57 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Don't get me wrong, I think my country will be a much better place without these muckrackers and can't wait to see the end of them. Happy trip home Rosy, PB, Dotty, Ceri and you other know-all, self-righteous, arrogant poms. Be gone.
Who made you god, dumbass
Old May 31st 2003, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

It really does take a while to get setteld in...I have been here in Toronto for almost two years now and I am still trying. The hardest part was definately the first year. So many times I was ready to pack it all in, but then one day it dawned on me that it was beginning to feel like home !!

Now when i go back to the UK, i can't wait to get back 'home' to Canada hehehe.

However I don't see myself living here forever......I want to try some other places out and eventually move back to England, well thats the plan at the moment.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

penzer is an unknown quantity at this point

go florida_03....... one of the few along with mr mover and pleasance that posts are worth reading.

what makes people call other people dumbass for posting what they think?
done alot of research through this site and found out through rellies and posters that you need 2 years atleast to make your mind up.

don't need to be god to work that out.
jeeeeeeeeez
Old Jun 1st 2003, 2:47 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Florida_03
Keeping away from poisonous forums like this one would help. Listening to PB and his groupies would make anyone want to get away. His stuff is crap but you can't stand toe-to-toe with the wacker to have a true debate. If Rosy wants to believe that Australia is crap after barely getting over jetlag who cares (and how would she know).

For a start I've never muck raked intentionally. If you do not like the fact that I dislike Aus that's your problem "mate". ANYONE who says "this is the best country ever" about ANY country in the world are lying through their teeth, or they need a reality check. (P.S dislike is maybe a too harsh a word - dislike some things, like others)

No 2, unless you're an Aborigine Florida (and all other Meg cronies and rejects) - you are more of a "Pom" than I could ever be.(Ever looked at your flag? your white history, or the language you speak)

One more thing, thank god not all Aussies are like you, or we would not employ them if they had your type of attitude.

I wish you all the best in the USA because with your one sided , derogatory attitude you're going to need all the luck which one can throw your way.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 2:58 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ceri
For a start I've never muck raked intentionally. If you do not like the fact that I dislike Aus that's your problem "mate". ANYONE who says "this is the best country ever" about ANY country in the world are lying through their teeth, or they need a reality check. (P.S dislike is maybe a too harsh a word - dislike some things, like others)

No 2, unless you're an Aborigine Florida (and all other Meg cronies and rejects) - you are more of a "Pom" than I could ever be.(Ever looked at your flag? your white history, or the language you speak)

One more thing, thank god not all Aussies are like you, or we would not employ them if they had your type of attitude.

I wish you all the best in the USA because with your one sided , derogatory attitude you're going to need all the luck which one can throw your way.
Did I ask to be born carrying Anglo blood? No. Am I a Pom? No.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 3:11 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Megalania
Did I ask to be born carrying Anglo blood? No. Am I a Pom? No.
Well Mr/Ms Pom - thou do protest too much.
You know what you can do if you don't like your Anglo blood don't you?
Perhaps you should meet Mr Philip Nitschke and do yourself a favour
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.