Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where is the worst place to live in Ozz

Wikiposts

Where is the worst place to live in Ozz

Old Aug 9th 2004, 1:27 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the worst place to live in Ozz

Originally Posted by Thrud
Thanks for the info, Perth Looks nice, what are the insects like?
I wouldn't base your choice on insects....

It's now winter, and there's not that many. In summer there's lots of flys and mosquito's, how many depends on area, and what is many, anyway?
Cockroaches I hate the most, only seen one, but there'll probably be more in summer etc.

I don't think Perth is that much worse for insects than any other Oz city....
Old Aug 9th 2004, 2:07 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Darwin

Originally Posted by wombat42
l agree, the NT is Full of alot of wanted criminals from the eastern states who
see it as the perfect place to dissapear, many people turn mad because of the heat or too much to drink and become killers, which is why it has the highest murder rate in OZ. It is full of the worlds most deadly snakes and man eating crocodiles. It has Cyclones, one of which destroyed the entire city of Darwin. It is a fantastic place for a holiday because of the outback scenery but l would'nt want to live there.
Ah ya big jessies!!

Maybe you guys should move to that nice little retirement home in deepest safest leafyshire and sit in a nice aircon room with security guards on the gates.

You make Darwin sound like Dodge City, with 30 foot man eating crocadiles roaming the streets!

All tosh and nonsense, so far I've only seen 2 shootouts at Shannanighans and 1 at Rourkes Drift Pub, there's only been 1 person eaten by a croc, and they were German so fair dinkum, and at most there's only been 4 deaths attributed to heat exhaustion. Granted I've only been here a week or 2.

True story, apparently when the Aussies started to keep official entries of deaths, the first entry was a bloke in the NT who got dragged from his boat by a croc!
Old Aug 9th 2004, 2:14 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
If NT was so great, why are there so few people living there (apart from Darwin,Katherine and Alice Springs)? And some of the people there are seriously weird -
Whats wrong with being a bit weird?

Let me guess, you prefer normal (boring). Come on Mike, we know you hate Oz, but you've got to admit that bits of it are a little bit interesting. Just an ickle iddy biddy bit interesting.

Cue stinging rebuke and lots of smart generic put downs.

Peace bro.

Thrud, just my two pence worth, but I think Perth is lovely. Some people say they get bored there but they must lack a bit of imagination. There's lots to do, as cities go its one of the prettiest, and the people are friendly when you make a bit of effort. Dont worry too much about the insects. Stick to the basic rules and you'll hardly ever come across anything that will hurt.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 2:18 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thrud
How about York in western Australia, it looks nice but who can say, has any one been there??
Only ever visited on day drips so cant fully comment about what it would be like to live there, BUT .........

York felt a bit "one horse town" to me and thats not cos its small. We are thinking about buying land in Jarrahdale next year and thats much smaller than York, but somehow feels more vibrant

There are lots of other villages in the York area that IMHO are much nicer, but that is only my opinion. York is actually going through a big increase at the moment re building with lots of Perth people moving out there either to live & commute or as weekend homes, so it must have something going for it. Just not the place for me or Hubs.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 2:26 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
If NT was so great, why are there so few people living there (apart from Darwin,Katherine and Alice Springs)?
The usual reasons; distance from anywhere, lack of ample supplies of fresh water, lack of arable land.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I'm still going to say that Darwin has the edge over most of Lancashire. Specifically Runcorn, but thats a personal thing.

I quite liked Darwin, but it does really have a wild west feel to it.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: not thinking like an Australian

Originally Posted by bob and ginnie
John Howard represents the Sydney seat of Benelong.
What is the bloke supposed to do after a day's sitting in the Houses of Parliament? Hop in his car and drive back to Sydney for a sleep?
Do you guys realise how far that is? We're talking about Australia and Australian lifestyle here . . . . not the UK!
When Parliament's not sitting the MP's all go back to their electorates to get themselves known in the area and catch up with local situations . . . . or get voted out.
280km....... Come on thats just a wee stretch of the legs
Old Aug 9th 2004, 5:50 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Northern Territory:
Area: 1,346,200 km^2.
Population: 198,700 (2003 December).
Population density: 0.1476 people / km^2.
Land per capita: 6.775 km^2 / person.

TOTAL POPULATION: OBSERVED AND PROJECTED - NORTHERN TERRITORY

NT: If you never never go, you'll never never know.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=RichS]I'm still going to say that Darwin has the edge over most of Lancashire. Specifically Runcorn, but thats a personal thing.

QUOTE]
Runcorn's in Cheshire!! ...and a very ugly town built on chemical industry. Darwin would be streets ahead of Runcorn. It may be a bit of a hippy outpost, but it's cosmopolitan nonetheless.

Have to agree tho Rich, Tennant Creek is one place where I didn't feel too safe walking out at night.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 6:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Runcorn's in Cheshire!! ...and a very ugly town built on chemical industry. Darwin would be streets ahead of Runcorn. It may be a bit of a hippy outpost, but it's cosmopolitan nonetheless.
In 1891 Runcorn was in Lancashire, according to some Birth Certificates

The only reason I had to check that, was that I was born in Cheshire, but the town I was born in is no longer in Cheshire !! Its now part of Manchester, so was I born in Cheshire or Manchester ?
"my funny 5 minutes now over "

Old Aug 9th 2004, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond] In 1891 Runcorn was in Lancashire, according to some Birth Certificates
/QUOTE]
serves me right for trying to be a smart ass! I wonder what year it offically ceased to be part of Lancs?
Old Aug 9th 2004, 7:13 pm
ABCDiamond

[QUOTE=HiddenPaw]
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In 1891 Runcorn was in Lancashire, according to some Birth Certificates
/QUOTE]
serves me right for trying to be a smart ass! I wonder what year it offically ceased to be part of Lancs?
I'm not sure, but it got me thinking, and i'm trying to find out when the boundaries changed. But there may have been a few changes. I know there was one after 1962.

Old Aug 9th 2004, 7:17 pm
o_0

Quinkana, that rainfall chart is highly misleading. Most of the NT's rain falls between Nov-Apr. So while Darwin may get 1600mm a year, 1450mm of that falls in a 6 month period.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 9:07 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ulujain
Quinkana, that rainfall chart is highly misleading. Most of the NT's rain falls between Nov-Apr. So while Darwin may get 1600mm a year, 1450mm of that falls in a 6 month period.
Actually, the map title reads: "Average Rainfall - Annual" - so it is fair-dinkum.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 9:51 pm
o_0

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Actually, the map title reads: "Average Rainfall - Annual" - so it is fair-dinkum.
Did I disagree with that? I'm saying most of it falls within a 6 month period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.