Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Victoria?

Where in Victoria?

Old Sep 10th 2003, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Question Where in Victoria?

Hi, After listening to some very good advice it looks as though my family and I will think about migrating to Victoria, can anyone give us some advice as to the best area's for schools, social life, sports , cost of living , housing etc. I know Melbourne is a massive place so any of the suburbs would interest us or if anyone can give us a better palce to find our home to bring up our 3 children
Please let me know.
Cheers
Old Sep 10th 2003, 10:20 am
Just Joined

dogged is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I am from Melbourne and the "best" area's for what you are asking is probably Kew, Glenferrie, Hawthorn, Balwyn, Canterbury, Surrey Hills, Mont Albert, Malvern.. eastern/inner eastern Melbourne.
I live in Kew and it has 3 or 4 top schools (all private), close to flicks (both american popular stuff and more 'arthouse' cinemas), great shopping (food, clothes(from a male POV anyway ) 3 or so golf courses (2 public ones), gym, library, 100's of restaurants, 25mins to the city on public transport, close to large parks on the yarra river..
However you have to pay out the arse for it.. the median house price is 660,000 I think ( I rent a 2 bedroom flat with a mate, 250$/week expect to pay minimum 350-400/week for a 3bdr house in the above areas )

I spent most of my childhood growning up in the dandenong ranges which i reckon is a great place for kids. Surrounded by temperate rain forest (it will really remind you of home in winter!! even snows!) with big blocks (no sub-division allowed).. a great family area.. However it is quite isolated (1h-1h20mins from city) with not much in the way of planned activities and a lot of driving(no public transport)

It really depends on how much you can/want to spend. My sister is currently looking to buy her first house in the Seaford area and is looking in hte mid-low 200's.. there is hardly anything around for that price and what is avalible needs a lot of TLC (ie restumping/new kitchen, bathroom kind of TLC!

Hope I was able to help