Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where tolive in Brisbane

Where tolive in Brisbane

Old Aug 20th 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Where tolive in Brisbane

I will shortly be starting a new job in Brisbane. I am looking for advice on where to look at renting a property. I am looking for somewhere within easy commuting distance to the CBD with good schools as I have a 9 year old and a 5 year old.

Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

bettyandbertie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where tolive in Brisbane

We live in Sherwood in the western suburbs which is a 20 commute by train into the CBD. The area is very much a family area. So too is Graceville, Chelmer and Corinda - which is also on the train line.

There are very good local schools both state and private. Our 3 children actually go to private schools in Indooroopilly.

We like the fact that you can still walk to your local supermarket, bank, post office. etc as well.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

jatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nicejatman is just really nice
Default Re: Where tolive in Brisbane

Redlands bay seems to have it all. Would welcome any views from people living in this area. Certainly seems a place where houses are reasonably priced - if u r eventually thinking of buying.

Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jatman
Redlands bay seems to have it all. Would welcome any views from people living in this area. Certainly seems a place where houses are reasonably priced - if u r eventually thinking of buying.

Commuting, by car, into Brisbane centre can be a real pain.

That is one reason why house prices tend to be more expensive nearer to the city.

G
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:17 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

As usual this thread will turn into a Bayside v WNW Brisbane thread. Although as ABCDiamond pointed out the level of official British migration to the areas are similar it seems on this website Bayside is more heavily represented in the numbers.

Both are good areas, both are great for families both have very low crime rates but (and I am biased):

WNW has better state schools according to the published statistics: The Gap Kenmore, Indooroopilly, Ferny Grove - all regularly in 'top 5' state schools in Brisbane.

Commute times from The Gap (20 minutes bus) or Indooroopilly (20 minutes train) are great, but Ferny Grove (40 minutes train) or Kenmore (50 minutes bus) probably more on a par with Bayside.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jatman

My wife drives in every day and it takes her about 40 minutes normally, but this week she has been starting later, and it is taking her about 75 minutes.

There are some older style houses that are reasonably priced, for houses near the water, but a lot of the new houses in the area seem larger and higher priced.

This one for example went for $505,000 http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007881339

and this one for $430,000
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007778222

and this for $299,000
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007281713

Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
As usual this thread will turn into a Bayside v WNW Brisbane thread. Although as ABCDiamond pointed out the level of official British migration to the areas are similar it seems on this website Bayside is more heavily represented in the numbers.
We got a lot of people moving here between 2003 and 2007

Interesting to note when we both joined the site

Old Aug 21st 2009, 2:00 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
...Interesting to note when we both joined the site
I may have joined the site in 2007 - but I moved to Brisbane in '98 an The Gap in 2000...
Old Aug 21st 2009, 2:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I may have joined the site in 2007 - but I moved to Brisbane in '98 an The Gap in 2000...
You are more of a Queenslander than me then, I moved up here in 2002.

Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

dhama is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Is train line near to indoorpillay ? How many public schools are in indoorpillay.?What is the fee strcuture in private schools. My daughter would be going to 6th grade.Any bus facility from inoorpillay to CBD. Your answer to above will solve many issues. Thanks. Dhama

Originally Posted by bettyandbertie
We live in Sherwood in the western suburbs which is a 20 commute by train into the CBD. The area is very much a family area. So too is Graceville, Chelmer and Corinda - which is also on the train line.

There are very good local schools both state and private. Our 3 children actually go to private schools in Indooroopilly.

We like the fact that you can still walk to your local supermarket, bank, post office. etc as well.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:03 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dhama
Hi, is train line near to indoorpillay ? How many public schools are in indoorpillay.?What is the fee strcuture in private schools. My daughter would be going to 6th grade.Any bus facility from inoorpillay to CBD. Your answer to above will solve many issues. Thanks. Dhama
There is a train station in Indro and decent bus links to the CBD and I would choose either over driving at the minute. The doctor we use is in Indro and we went from the CBD (after work) recently and it took us over 1 hour to get there which is ridiculous (journey of about 7kms at most).
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

dhama is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for info.Dhama

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
There is a train station in Indro and decent bus links to the CBD and I would choose either over driving at the minute. The doctor we use is in Indro and we went from the CBD (after work) recently and it took us over 1 hour to get there which is ridiculous (journey of about 7kms at most).
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Travelling in Brisbane can be fairly easy if you are able to pick your time to travel.

the main problem is that the roads are a mess and inadequate for the amount of traffic.

Couple that with traffic lights on every junction and the seemingly endless breakdowns and accidents then at peak times it can be a nightmare.

Last week a simple two car shunt in Toowong stopped virtually all the traffic coming in from the west due to the backlog on the alternative routes....this seems to be a regular occurence. not helped by the stupid right turn filters on most traffic lights which reduce many two lane roads to one lane for long periods of time.

Choose carefully depending on your circumstances

G
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
Travelling in Brisbane can be fairly easy if you are able to pick your time to travel.

the main problem is that the roads are a mess and inadequate for the amount of traffic.

Couple that with traffic lights on every junction and the seemingly endless breakdowns and accidents then at peak times it can be a nightmare.

Last week a simple two car shunt in Toowong stopped virtually all the traffic coming in from the west due to the backlog on the alternative routes....this seems to be a regular occurence. not helped by the stupid right turn filters on most traffic lights which reduce many two lane roads to one lane for long periods of time.

Choose carefully depending on your circumstances

G
I drove through Toowong the other week, not often I go that side, and I agree. I would hate to be involved in traffic like that on a regular basis.

Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I drove through Toowong the other week, not often I go that side, and I agree. I would hate to be involved in traffic like that on a regular basis.
Nice try

....I also have to travel along the Old Cleveland road going back into the city in the afternoons and that can be pretty bad as well.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.