Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to stop over.... Any ideas?

Where to stop over.... Any ideas?

Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:12 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Where to stop over.... Any ideas?

We are looking to fly from Sydney/Brisbane back to the UK in June. We want to stop over somewhere nice for a few days on the way back, anyone been anywhere they could recommend?

We have been given choices with various airlines (still haven't booked yet) with various stop overs

Vietnam Airlines (not sure about a stop over there, anyone been! )

KLM with a stop over in Kuala Lumpar

Swiss Airlines, stopping in KL then Zurich

Cathay Pacific, stop over in Hong Kong

Can't remember which airline but a stop over in Bankok

Emirates with a stop over in Dubia (bit expensive, flights from here)

So come on all you travellers, where should we visit? We visited Singapore on the way here.

Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:18 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to stop over.... Any ideas?

Originally posted by janeyray
We are looking to fly from Sydney/Brisbane back to the UK in June. We want to stop over somewhere nice for a few days on the way back, anyone been anywhere they could recommend?

We have been given choices with various airlines (still haven't booked yet) with various stop overs

So come on all you travellers, where should we visit? We visited Singapore on the way here.

On the 16th of may we are travelling Via malaysian airlines and stopping off in Langkawi. Supposed to be gorgeous.
Staying at the Sheraton beach resort.
Duty free shopping and very cheap.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to pick your airline by where you would prefer to stopover and not on price etc? If so you are asking where do we think is the best place to stopover other than Singapore out of all the above. Personally, if I had a free choice on a stopover coming back to the UK, I would opt for Vienna and fly Austrian Airlines (formerly Lauda). You might however consider this too close to 'home' and want something Asian/Middle East, so my second and third choices would be Hong Kong and Dubai.

OzTennis
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

thailand and Malaysia is probably the easiest and has some beautiful areas that you can get to easily, transport is very good.
Vietnam is a wonderful country, really friendly people beautiful scenery, it really depends how adventorous your feeling!
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Avoid Dubai like the plague, horrible place. A bit like Slough but without the nightlife...

I'd go for Hong Kong or KL
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:36 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Innyjim
Avoid Dubai like the plague, horrible place. A bit like Slough but without the nightlife...

I'd go for Hong Kong or KL
I'd avoid Hong Kong like the plague! Unless you have a passion for skyscrapers and people spitting
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:41 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I preferred HK to Singapore - when we were there in June 3 yrs ago it was hot (but needed a cardigan for the fierce air con) and would have sudden downpours. Infact the week after we left there was flooding.

Bangkok is a love/hate place. Hate the traffic & pollution, love the character, madness, massages, trying street food (but fussy which ones). June is the start of the rainy season, just after the hot season, which is when I have been and boy can it get hot!
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by walaj
I preferred HK to Singapore - when we were there in June 3 yrs ago it was hot (but needed a cardigan for the fierce air con) and would have sudden downpours. Infact the week after we left there was flooding.

Bangkok is a love/hate place. Hate the traffic & pollution, love the character, madness, massages, trying street food (but fussy which ones). June is the start of the rainy season, just after the hot season, which is when I have been and boy can it get hot!
Hmm Bangkok, and let's not forget the mad/bad Sangtip....
Old Apr 13th 2004, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

I'd choose Hong Kong first, Bangkok 2nd, Vietnam 3rd. As a family holiday for a few days it would be Hong Kong.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 6:17 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Tokyo.

Sounds a roundabout routeing, but look at a globe and you see it's only a few hundred miles further vis NRT than the usual SIN/BKK.

Makes a change anyway.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 7:00 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Bangkok, because for a subsequent short cheap hop you could be somewhere pleasant like Phuket or Koh Samui or even Chang Mai. Same is true of Singapore as a halfway stop, of course.

Bear in mind the halfway-ness, if you know what I mean. You'll only be partially jetlagged somewhere like Thailand whereas in Vienna you need to get over 12 hours or so.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 7:12 pm
Go Banana's !!

We are looking at Royal Brunei Airlines, with the stop over in Royal Brunei, looks lovely and the King has built himself a theme park that the 'great unwashed' are allowed to use. They where also one of the cheapest 1st class deals

Jill

Old Apr 13th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysian-then you can stop in both KL and take a side-trip to Borneo. Very good value and the people are lovely - nicer than HK and Singapore. The orang-utans are brilliant as well.

Lesley
Old Apr 13th 2004, 7:45 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd recommend Dubai, been there many times as my folks have lived there for 17 years . Perhaps not in June though as the temp will be in the mid-40's so sitting on the beach (or even going outside during midday) would be out of the question.

If you do consider Dubai then aim for an area called Jumeriah Beach. It's a stretch of coast full of excellent hotels with lots to do. Avoid staying in the city at all costs - it's overcrowded, noisy and polluted
Old Apr 13th 2004, 8:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on how long for. There is more there than spitting people and skyscrapers. I spent 4 days on my migration trip. The place is not cheap.

Singapore is OK for a couple of days but after that gets a bit boring. Not been to KL but I have been down the jungle railway and the national park in the middle is fantastic with jungle walkways and wildlife.

Bangkok is a mad incredibly busy city, cheap, good fun and there are some very good value hotels there. Traffic is hell but I spent 4 very rewarding days there 2 years ago.

The sidetrip to Borneo is what I would like to do again and in particular Kota Kinabalu. I would go and say hello to the orangutans and climb Kota Kinabalu for sun rise.

What do you want out of your stopover and how long is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.