Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to stay when we first get to Sydney

Where to stay when we first get to Sydney

Old May 1st 2006, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all
Red face Where to stay when we first get to Sydney

Hello!

We are going to Sydney in August and are just woindering how we go about securing somewhere to stay when we get there? We have got some lovely friends who would be happy to put us up for a week or so, but we think that it would be important for our children (ages 2 & 3) that we have our own bit of space as soon as possible. Our furniture will be arriving a couple of weeks after us so we really need to get something sorted as soon as we arrive if not before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pink x
Old May 1st 2006, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay when we first get to Sydney

Originally Posted by Pink & Fluffy
Hello!

We are going to Sydney in August and are just woindering how we go about securing somewhere to stay when we get there? We have got some lovely friends who would be happy to put us up for a week or so, but we think that it would be important for our children (ages 2 & 3) that we have our own bit of space as soon as possible. Our furniture will be arriving a couple of weeks after us so we really need to get something sorted as soon as we arrive if not before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pink x
I'm sure many people have suggestions, but more info would help.
Beach/coastal? Public transport or will you have a car? Close to work - if so where is the job? Schools that will be suitable (the kids will soon be of school age)? Budget?
best wishes
Old May 1st 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Personally I would stay with friends when you arrive. Before getting here decide which area you want to live in and find the details on the rental agents in the area, get all your proff documents sorted and get a map then as soon as you get here pick up a car and start viewing (generally properties are viewed Wednesday evening and Saturday morning) as their descriptions don't seem to be particularly accurate and pictures are always much better here than the actual place (for both rental and selling properties)
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all
Red face Re: Where to stay when we first get to Sydney

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I'm sure many people have suggestions, but more info would help.
Beach/coastal? Public transport or will you have a car? Close to work - if so where is the job? Schools that will be suitable (the kids will soon be of school age)? Budget?
best wishes
Hi!

Thanks for the response, sorry it has taken so long to get back, we are currently living with my mum (house sold last month) and are using dial up
We are looking for a place close to the beach (10 min drive) and also within 45 mins of CBD. We are looking to spend around £250 per week on rental property. My eldest daughter will be 4 in July so I think she will start school in January??? so ideally within walking distance to schools and pre-schools or a short drive. We are only looking to rent for a short time (6 months) as we would like to get onto the property ladder asap.

Any advise welcome.
Many thanks
Pink x
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Sorry to burst your bubble, but i think you are going to really struggle to find somewhere to rent in Sydney that is 10mins from the beach, 45mins to the CBD for a family of 4 and for $250 a week. Add $100 a week and it might just be possible.
Old May 4th 2006, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Where to stay when we first get to Sydney

Originally Posted by Mummy
Sorry to burst your bubble, but i think you are going to really struggle to find somewhere to rent in Sydney that is 10mins from the beach, 45mins to the CBD for a family of 4 and for $250 a week. Add $100 a week and it might just be possible.
Again sorry for the delay in replying!

I was talking in pounds before so in Aus dollars we are looking at spending between $400 - $500 per week?
Old May 5th 2006, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Ah yes - my mistake!

The next question would be how many bedrooms you would be wanting and whether you wanted a house or would settle for a flat (units over here!). The northern beaches are nice kid-friendly areas, there are a couple of 3 bed houses for rent in Narraweena at the moment, but not sure of the travel tiome to CBD. Mosman is really nice, and Balmoral beach is great for kids, but your price range will only rent you a unit there. Forestville/Frenchs Forest is another family area that is not too far from the CBD or the beach - there's a couple of 3 bed houses there too for your price range.

There are good schools and pre-schools all over so you don't need to worry about that, and your daughter will not start school until 5 or even 6 years old here.

Can't tell you about the south shore, but pretty much anywhere on the north shore 10 mins in from the beach is going to be a reasonable place to live - no dodgy areas I'm aware of.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Sattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really nice

We're renting a 3 bed house in Matraville, just south of Maroubra, for $550pw.

Its a 30-50 minute bus journey to the CBD, and a 10 minute drive to a selection of 4 different beaches. Plenty of schools in the area as well.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:58 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

when we were looking (nth shores) in March there were not many properties around to consider. Anywhere near the train line is going to be expensive, and places we looked at (and for more than your budget) were not great properties (I mean old kitchen/bathroom, consideration for toddler re location or lack of suitable gardens). 3 bed properties seemed in further short supply. I suppose it depends on what compromise you are willing to make.
Ours was to live away from railway line, which if needed can be reached by bus to Gordon, but I thing the last bus back from Gordon (to St Ives) is around 8pm.

You can get an idea of what is around by looking at domain website, but you really need to view the property and locate where it is to have any idea if it is any good (ie size/price/location). Also note when looking at maps and their locality, say to a station, walking that distance might seem ok, but take into consideration just how hilly (and we are talking steep dips up and down) it is, and if you really want to walk it in summer?