Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to stay when first arrive in Auckland?

Where to stay when first arrive in Auckland?

Old Aug 11th 2002, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, NZ (was Broadstairs, Kent, UK)
Pippa is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where to stay when first arrive in Auckland?

Hi again everyone hope your all well, just another quickie please, can anyone help out?

Obviously before we arrive in NZ we need to book a room for a few weeks whilst we recover from jetlag, realise what the hell we have done...and for me to stop crying

I guess a rooms with somesort of basic self catering equipment would be best (done want to blow any cash on eating out or takeaways), and as we wont have any transport of our own yet it should be close to the main amenities/transport (job agencies!!)etc.

Ive looked at lots on the net and you know what its like basically they dress it up on there as the dogs b.ll..ks but really its crapy.

Can anyone give advice as to where thay stayed at first.?

I have heard that some areas are not so nice to live in where would you suggest are nice, safe, easily reachable (remember wont have a car for a while), not a long journey (drive 1hr to work now and dont EVER want to do that again...) away not in the main hustle and bustle of the city but near to the necessary things like, sea/beach, supermarket. I think you know what I mean....I live in a seaside town (broadstairs kent) in the UK so similar environment/location would be really nice a home away from home.

Thanks everyone

Pippa xx
Old Aug 11th 2002, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Where to stay when first arrive in Auckland?

Originally posted by Pippa
Hi again everyone hope your all well, just another quickie please, can anyone help out?

Obviously before we arrive in NZ we need to book a room for a few weeks whilst we recover from jetlag, realise what the hell we have done...and for me to stop crying

I guess a rooms with somesort of basic self catering equipment would be best (done want to blow any cash on eating out or takeaways), and as we wont have any transport of our own yet it should be close to the main amenities/transport (job agencies!!)etc.

Ive looked at lots on the net and you know what its like basically they dress it up on there as the dogs b.ll..ks but really its crapy.

Can anyone give advice as to where thay stayed at first.?

I have heard that some areas are not so nice to live in where would you suggest are nice, safe, easily reachable (remember wont have a car for a while), not a long journey (drive 1hr to work now and dont EVER want to do that again...) away not in the main hustle and bustle of the city but near to the necessary things like, sea/beach, supermarket. I think you know what I mean....I live in a seaside town (broadstairs kent) in the UK so similar environment/location would be really nice a home away from home.

Thanks everyone

Pippa xx
Old Aug 12th 2002, 6:06 am
Ian Guy

Not in Auckland!! Get a decent car and get south of the Bombay Hills (about 50km, or
30 miles) you'll be able to do the AKL trip in 40 mins off peak - you'll find it much
cheaper. You'll need to look for a motel with units that have facilities. If you
contact them direct you may be able to negotiate a favourable rate. We stayed in a
holiday let for 6 weeks which nearly drove us mad! You could also post on nz.wanted
newsgroup - some people are looking for housesitters, so you could be in luck.

"Pippa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Pippa
    > > Hi again everyone hope your all well, just another quickie please, can anyone
    > > help out?
    > >
    > > Obviously before we arrive in NZ we need to book a room for a few weeks whilst we
    > > recover from jetlag, realise what the hell we have done...and for me to stop
    > > crying
    > >
    > > I guess a rooms with somesort of basic self catering equipment would be best
    > > (done want to blow any cash on eating out or takeaways), and as we wont have any
    > > transport of our own yet it should be close to the main amenities/transport (job
    > > agencies!!)etc.
    > >
    > > Ive looked at lots on the net and you know what its like basically they dress it
    > > up on there as the dogs b.ll..ks but really its crapy.
    > >
    > > Can anyone give advice as to where thay stayed at first.?
    > >
    > > I have heard that some areas are not so nice to live in where would you suggest
    > > are nice, safe, easily reachable (remember wont have a car for a while), not a
    > > long journey (drive 1hr to work now and dont EVER want to do that again...) away
    > > not in the main hustle and bustle of the city but near to the necessary things
    > > like, sea/beach, supermarket. I think you know what I mean....I live in a
    > > seaside town (broadstairs kent) in the UK so similar environment/location would
    > > be really nice a home away from home.
    > >
    > > Thanks everyone
    > >
    > Pippa xx
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 12th 2002, 8:53 pm
Lehmanb

We arrived in Auckland over five months ago and when we first saw Aucklands main
street in the city (Queen Street) we were depressed, on our first night we checked
into a 'boutique' hotel in the cbd which was foul added with jet lag we were both
questioning what we had done. After one night we checked into the Crowne Plaza to
sort ourselves out. Now five months on, we love the place, Auckland city is not such
a pretty place itself but the suburbs are. If I were you I would head to the North
Shore, in rush hour it takes 30-40 minutes to get into town by bus but beleive me
this is no hardship having travelled connex south east or the metropolitan line for
the last five years. There seem some pretty good motels in Takapuna which is just
over the Harbour Bridge and it is a good place to settle for a few weeks and find
your feet, if you like the place you are right by the North Shore Times which comes
out virtually every other day and advertisers places to let. It took us a week to
find a flat, just by the sea, no hassels that you have in the UK with everyone
wanting references, bank statements, most people here are quite trusting which is a
relief. Stick with the North Shore and I dont think you'll go wrong.

Old Aug 12th 2002, 10:50 pm
Ian Guy

But if you want real NZ get out of AKL as fast as you can - there is life south of
the Bombay Hills and as for value for money I'll stick with my 1/2 acre next to the
lake 10 mins from town that costs half the price of any house in a decent area in
North Shore (have to admit though that if I were to live up there Takapuna and the
Hibiscus Coast would be my choices - and also that work choices may be limited to
AKL, guess I'm just lucky!)

Admittedly too the drive through Manakau to the Bombays is fairly depressing too
(probably not as bad as Grafton!) "lehmanb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:cec79116.0208121253-
[email protected]
    > We arrived in Auckland over five months ago and when we first saw Aucklands main
    > street in the city (Queen Street) we were depressed, on our first night we checked
    > into a 'boutique' hotel in the cbd which was foul added with jet lag we were both
    > questioning what we had done. After one night we checked into the Crowne Plaza to
    > sort ourselves out. Now five months on, we love the place, Auckland city is not
    > such a pretty place itself but the suburbs are. If I were you I would head to the
    > North Shore, in rush hour it takes 30-40 minutes to get into town by bus but
    > beleive me this is no hardship having travelled connex south east or the
    > metropolitan line for the last five years. There seem some pretty good motels in
    > Takapuna which is just over the Harbour Bridge and it is a good place to settle for
    > a few weeks and find your feet, if you like the place you are right by the North
    > Shore Times which comes out virtually every other day and advertisers places to
    > let. It took us a week to find a flat, just by the sea, no hassels that you have in
    > the UK with everyone wanting references, bank statements, most people here are
    > quite trusting which is a relief. Stick with the North Shore and I dont think
    > you'll go wrong.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

ex kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Where to stay when first arrive in Auckland?

Hi Pippa,

Sorry I can't recommend any accommodation by name, but try looking @ www.yellowpages.co.nz accommodation section. I would also recommend staying on the North Shore. Most of the major recruitment agencies are located in Downtown, but you might find a few in Takapuna (North Shore). There are regular buses to downtown and physically its not to far. Be advised though Auckland is a big city, 65km from north to south and 40km east to west and getting bigger every day. You will need a car to get around as public transport is crap! (except the North Shore) so choose your base wisely.

Don't accept any advice from non-Aucklanders. The rest of New Zealand has a chip on there shoulders when it comes to Auckland.

As for the 'Real NZ' Ian, it wouldn't survive without Auckland buddy. Pull ya head in!!

Suburbs I would never consider buying a House in:

All of South Auckland Otahuhu southwards (excluding Howick / Pakuranga / Botany Downs)
Henderson
Avondale
Glen Innes
Panmure

Good Luck!

ex kiwi
Old Aug 13th 2002, 2:24 am
Ian Guy

I guess life is what you make it - OK so Auckland has shops and museums, so what. I
left the UK to get away from 1 hour drives to do 15km, so why would I want to live in
AKL. I can wonder out of the front door, pick oranges and squeeze them for breakfast.
I also don't have to have a $100K job to pay the mortgage. I can leave my front door
open (we never lock the cars) - and I can get to Auckland in 2 hours on the occasions
I have to work there. I have lots of mates there, some like it, most can't wait to
get out. Have to add though it is better than lots of other places.

BTW Auckland has recently been described as NZ trying to be Australia.

As an agricultural nation I think (guessing here) that most of the GDP comes from the
land, e.g. dairy, fruit, wool, meat, timber, little of which is produced in AKL.

"ex kiwi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Pippa,
    > Sorry I can't recommend any accommodation by name, but try looking @
    > www.yellowpages.co.nz accommodation
    > section. I would also recommend staying on the North Shore. Most of the major
    > recruitment agencies are located in Downtown, but you might find a few in Takapuna
    > (North Shore). There are regular buses to downtown and physically its not to far.
    > Be advised though Auckland is a big city, 65km from north to south and 40km east
    > to west and getting bigger every day. You will need a car to get around as public
    > transport is crap! (except the North Shore) so choose your base wisely.
    > Don't accept any advice from non-Aucklanders. The rest of New Zealand has a chip
    > on there shoulders when it comes to Auckland.
    > As for the 'Real NZ' Ian, it wouldn't survive without Auckland buddy. Pull ya
    > head in!!
    > Suburbs I would never consider buying a House in:
    > All of South Auckland Otahuhu southwards (excluding Howick / Pakuranga / Botany
    > Downs) Henderson Avondale Glen Innes Panmure
    > Good Luck!
    > ex kiwi
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 13th 2002, 8:18 am
Terry R Brooking

> As an agricultural nation I think (guessing here) that most of the GDP
comes
    > from the land, e.g. dairy, fruit, wool, meat, timber, little of which is
    > produced in AKL.

No but most of it would be sold OS from Akl! :-)

--
Regards -Terry

Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:25 am
Ian Guy

Not true, Tauranga and Napier both handle as much freight. "Terry R Brooking"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:WP369.69$yN2.16894@wards...
    > > As an agricultural nation I think (guessing here) that most of the GDP
    > comes
    > > from the land, e.g. dairy, fruit, wool, meat, timber, little of which is produced
    > > in AKL.
    > No but most of it would be sold OS from Akl! :-)
    > --
    > Regards -Terry

Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Angry Re: Re: Where to stay when first arrive in Auckland?

[
Now, Now children lets not fight !!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Sorry Ian but it makes sense to start off, at least, in the 'big smoke'. Once your settled we can think about moving around to make ourselves more comfortable, but to begin with we will have to grin and bear it.

But Im sure that if you choose a nice spot like exkiwi suggests all will be rosie.

As with lots of things its a case of'suck it and see'.

Cheers

pippa xx