Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to stay in Perth???

Wikiposts

where to stay in Perth???

Old Sep 1st 2003, 2:30 am
owieb

Originally posted by pockygoes
Can you remember the name of the place you sated at or who you ooked it with? What is scarboruogh beach like? How busy is it etc. Let me know if possible - we are starting to panic as we have nothing booked & it is the main summer holidays.

What is the work situation like in Perth? I am in the Air Con business - project engineer. When are you planning to go to Perth?

Cheers

pockygoes
This is what Scarborough beach looks like. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails where to stay in Perth???-scarboroughbeach2.jpg  

Old Sep 1st 2003, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Cheers owieb

Thanks for the photo - it is not what I expected at all - as it is the main beach I expected that it would be backed by loads of shops and buildings - looks idyllic.

How long have you been in Perth? Any tips for those of us who may be coming to live there? What is the empoyment situation like?

Cheers
pockygoes
Old Sep 1st 2003, 4:13 am
owieb

Cheers owieb

Thanks for the photo - it is not what I expected at all - as it is the main beach I expected that it would be backed by loads of shops and buildings - looks idyllic.

How long have you been in Perth? Any tips for those of us who may be coming to live there? What is the empoyment situation like?

Cheers
pockygoes
There are beaches that stretch all the way along the coast. Although Scarborough is a popular beach i wouldn't say it's the main beach, don;t think there really is a main beach!

Scarborough beach continues North into Trigg South and Trigg North, and goes South into Floreat Beach, City Beach, Swanbourne and Cottlesloe (which is another popular beach).

You will find that none of the beaches have any shops or buildings on them, most of the shops/cafes are behind the sand dunes or across the road.

Places like Trigg, Floreat and Cottlesloe have cafes just back from the beach, but other than that it's mainly sea, sand, dunes.

Other popular places are Mettams pool (this is sheltered and ideal for snorkling), North Beach, Sorrento Quay (Hillarys marina, which has lots of shops and restaurants).

I've been here a year.

For tips, best to read the forum! I've made several posts on here about what it's like.

Employment really depends on what you plan on doing work wise/or are skilled at. It's not great at the minute, but some people have found work straight away, others are still looking after months.

Old Sep 1st 2003, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

owieb

thanks for the info - at least it gives us more food for thought - any views on Mandurah or mullaloo - we have seen some places there too.

we were trying to get a couple of days on Rottnest too but the ballot has been closed for the main summer hols, then 5 days at Margaret River. If we can't get to rottnest for a couple of days - any suggestions on somewhere else.

This is the decision tome when we come to validate our visas so want to get a good impression - pity the staff agencies won't be open when we are there - pretty hard to guage the employment situation. Hubbie is a contracts engineer for Air Conditioning or building services - maily designs & runs the project for the installation of air con in commercial buildings.

Any more info would be appreciated

Cheers

pockygoes
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:28 pm
owieb

owieb

thanks for the info - at least it gives us more food for thought - any views on Mandurah or mullaloo - we have seen some places there too.

we were trying to get a couple of days on Rottnest too but the ballot has been closed for the main summer hols, then 5 days at Margaret River. If we can't get to rottnest for a couple of days - any suggestions on somewhere else.

This is the decision tome when we come to validate our visas so want to get a good impression - pity the staff agencies won't be open when we are there - pretty hard to guage the employment situation. Hubbie is a contracts engineer for Air Conditioning or building services - maily designs & runs the project for the installation of air con in commercial buildings.

Any more info would be appreciated

Cheers

pockygoes
i've never been to Mandurah so can't comment, Mullaloo is nice, great beach there.

Going to be pretty busy in Perth throughout December and January as it's schools hols and it's summer!

I don't think you should come just to get a good impression, you need to try and feel like you are living here to get a true idea of what it's like.

No idea what the air con situation is like, guess there must be work as it's on the MODL. Think there are several other people on this forum who are in that industry, they may be able to give you more advice.

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Owieb pretty well covered the beaches.
If you can't get a couple of days at Rotto, then you can always do the day trip. Ferry leaves about 9am and leaves Rotto about 4pm. It is about a 1 hour boat ride from Freo and Hillarys. You can hire bikes and cycle around the island. It is safe as there are no vehicles allowed on the island other than Police.