Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to stay for a Melbourne city break

Where to stay for a Melbourne city break

Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:36 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Where to stay for a Melbourne city break

I've booked flights for a 4 night break at the beginning of December and am looking for accommodation - trouble is I'm not sure about which part of Melbourne as it seems to have several areas. So far I've seen places in Docklands and Yarraville - are these any good?

We live in Redlands, Brisbane and we are really looking to stay somewhere where we can get access to lots of cafes and restaurants and be close for shopping, museums etc - want to be able to leave the hotel/apartment and be in the centre of things! Its not a reccie - we're happy where we are just its a bit quiet here in December and we want somewhere with a bit of life - 2 adults + 2 kids (11 and 9).

Rebecca
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:51 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where to stay for a Melbourne city break

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
I've booked flights for a 4 night break at the beginning of December and am looking for accommodation - trouble is I'm not sure about which part of Melbourne as it seems to have several areas. So far I've seen places in Docklands and Yarraville - are these any good?

We live in Redlands, Brisbane and we are really looking to stay somewhere where we can get access to lots of cafes and restaurants and be close for shopping, museums etc - want to be able to leave the hotel/apartment and be in the centre of things! Its not a reccie - we're happy where we are just its a bit quiet here in December and we want somewhere with a bit of life - 2 adults + 2 kids (11 and 9).

Rebecca
Have a look at Rydges on Exhibition Street - has a rooftop swimming pool and great views, rooms are nice and is in the thick of things. I really don't think that Yarraville is right for a city break and to be honest Docklands isn't that great either, you'd need to tram to the city and it's quiet at night.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I would say definitely not Yarraville for a city break! I like Yarraville, but it's certainly not step out your door into the thick of things.

Docklands also isn't the livliest of places.

I would probably recommend somewhere in the city or around Southbank but don't confine yourself to the area/ the city. Make sure you check out Lygon St, Brunswick St, St Kilda etc etc etc.

December will be great.....loooooong summer nights you're not used to!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Check out
http://www.victoriahotel.com.au/

Often stayed there , its very central , no need for a car as trams +trains
are a short walk.
It does all from cheap to full service

cheers
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how much you want to spend and what you want to do.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:00 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Peepster
Have a look at Rydges on Exhibition Street - has a rooftop swimming pool and great views, rooms are nice and is in the thick of things. I really don't think that Yarraville is right for a city break and to be honest Docklands isn't that great either, you'd need to tram to the city and it's quiet at night.
That looked great but only had spa rooms left - however the area looks spot on so have booked a 2 bed apartment nearby

Originally Posted by bcworld
I would say definitely not Yarraville for a city break! I like Yarraville, but it's certainly not step out your door into the thick of things.

Docklands also isn't the livliest of places.

I would probably recommend somewhere in the city or around Southbank but don't confine yourself to the area/ the city. Make sure you check out Lygon St, Brunswick St, St Kilda etc etc etc.

December will be great.....loooooong summer nights you're not used to!
Thanks - we've gone for a city location - can't wait - added bonus then not getting dark at 7!

Originally Posted by mulben
Check out
http://www.victoriahotel.com.au/

Often stayed there , its very central , no need for a car as trams +trains
are a short walk.
It does all from cheap to full service

cheers
Great area - decided on an apartment as find it easier with kids than sharing a room with them.
Originally Posted by sr71
Depends how much you want to spend and what you want to do.
Always after value for money us! Just beware as I booked direct and found the apartment cheaper than on Wotif!

Thanks to everyone above - its really helped - would have hated to end up somewhere quiet!!!! Very excited about our trip - shopping, shopping and a bit of eating is all my daughter and I are after - OH and son might want to play on trams or visit museums.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have recommended the Mercure on Swanston as a very good value and well located hotel.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

Hey. I am visiting Melbourne on a reccie from Sydney in october. Like the sound of the apartment. What was the name of it?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:14 am
Just enjoying being here

Originally Posted by freckles1970
Hey. I am visiting Melbourne on a reccie from Sydney in october. Like the sound of the apartment. What was the name of it?
Its one of the Mantra ones - they have several in Melbourne

Mantra Exhibition100
Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:19 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Its worth looking on wotif for room rates, and also looking on google maps for locations and hotel reviews.

Also, contact the hotels directly and you'll sometimes get cheaper prices than wotif.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Emmy Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

if u don't mind staying a bit out of the city we stayed in Easy stay motels in St Kilda, i think it was on Fitzroy Street. (next door to Maccers) Lots of cafes, cake shops and little boutiquey type, cafes and shops. you walk out of the motel and can walk about 30 seconds and jump onto a tram into CBD. (about 10 minute ride) Rooms are really nice and modern and were $99 when we stayed there last year. Don't stay on the Raglan street one as it is a hell of a treck to trams and transport. (about 15-20 minutes walk and on a really dodgy street!!!)
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I too like the Mecure on Swanston right in the middle usually book a twin room.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

pinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant future

We stayed at a Quest Appartment (Quest on Bourke) booked through flight centre in Brisbane in oct 2008.

The appmt/unit had living area with street view/kitchenette more than adequate to cook and prepare meals/get laundry up to date/all necessary cups and saucers and the like.
good sized bathroom and enough space with double bed and using living room to house a family w/o feeling too cramped.

from memory was cheaper through flight centre than direct to Quest but a few quick calls/internet searches should give you an idea.
for location think it would be hard to beat.

plenty of shops directly below in street, food places, grocery stores,internet etc etc
chinatown behind the opposite row of buildings-very helpful concierge,all city sights within very short walking distance/tram and taxis right outside.
car park a few doors away-this would be the only thing to be wary of
is the charges at weekends /overnight-we stuffed up by getting confused
but again from memory if staying at quest you get a discounted rate-you just need to be sure how and when the discount applies.

would give quest a big thumbs up.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I've just had a few nights in the Oaks on Lonsdale - very nice and not too expensive really. Within walking distance of pretty much everything central.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

kiltedscot is on a distinguished road

check out victoriahall.com .au Backpackers place but within walking distance of city centre. Used this place for w/end with wife and 2 boys. Great value. Had a familly room for $100 a night