Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where To Stay in London?

Where To Stay in London?

Old Jun 26th 2003, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where To Stay in London?

Since this is the busiest section in the forum, I'm going to take the liberty of posting here as well as in The Lounge:

Anyone have any tips on reasonably-priced family accommodation in Central London? This is just for a holiday by the way; we ain't moving there. It will just be for a few night (2 or 3) during an upcoming trip to the UK.

Tips appreciated based on personal experience rather than just advice on what website to look up, etc.

However, I don't mind a link if it's relevent to your experience of London.

Tah ever so...

Last edited by TimEh?; Jun 27th 2003 at 2:04 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 11:08 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where To Stay in London?

Originally posted by TimEh?
Since this is the busiest section in the forum, I'm going to take the liberty of posting here as well as in The Lounge:

Anyone have any tips on reasonably-priced family accommodation in London? This is just for a holiday by the way; we ain't moving there. It will just be for a few days (2 or 3) during an upcoming trip to the UK.

Tips appreciated based on personal experience rather than advice on what website to look up, etc.

Tah ever so...
If only staying for a few days - depending on the age of the children I would recommend getting as central hotel as possible. Might be more expensive but sure beats the hassle out of traveling back from somewhere (shows, dining etc) later at night. Taxis can prove expensive but it is all you feel like after a long day, rather than the tube or bus. We stayed at the Kensington Close - family of four - two rooms 110 pound for one night back in April. Do not pay room rate of course once you have picked your hotel or guest room then check it on the web to see if you can get it cheaper through deals - made a different of 100 pounds to us for one night!

I must admit hotels are expensive but I treat it all as part of the London Experience

Have fun
Old Jun 27th 2003, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sandra
If only staying for a few days - depending on the age of the children I would recommend getting as central hotel as possible. Might be more expensive but sure beats the hassle out of traveling back from somewhere (shows, dining etc) later at night. Taxis can prove expensive but it is all you feel like after a long day, rather than the tube or bus. We stayed at the Kensington Close - family of four - two rooms 110 pound for one night back in April. Do not pay room rate of course once you have picked your hotel or guest room then check it on the web to see if you can get it cheaper through deals - made a different of 100 pounds to us for one night!

I must admit hotels are expensive but I treat it all as part of the London Experience

Have fun
Thank you Sandra,

I should've mentioned that the kids are 15 and 12 years old. We are considering Central London for sure and about the cheapest we have found is a youth hostel in the old St Paul's Choir School. That would be 80 pounds per night for a family room.

Re Kensington Close: Would you recommend it? Was the 110 pounds for both rooms (total)?

Last edited by TimEh?; Jun 27th 2003 at 2:02 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 2:46 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I know you didn't want email links but as I said this is a specific hotel - we have been staying there for our London Visits for the last 15 years - the rooms are small but clean and tidy and facilities are fine.

The staff are fine with kids and it is fairly easy going - well to a degree, I came back from the Rocky Horror Picture Show and the staff checked with my husband about me being a guest in the bar! My Basque and leather skirt and fishnets must have led them to one conclusion!

Here is the link - yes we got 55 per room per night for a Monday night no breakfast in that but not always needed when getting out and about - noodles in China town first thing in the morning can be fun!

http://www.london-discount-hotel.com/hotelinfo_id__213

It is just 500 m from Kensignton High Street Tube stop on the circle line and brilliant for the buses.

PS Editing this to say I saw 68 per night per room quoted on this site includes continental - the breakfasts are good!

Cheers

Last edited by Sandra; Jun 27th 2003 at 2:50 am.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have any tips on reasonably-priced family accommodation in London? This is just for a holiday by the way; we ain't moving there. It will just be for a few days (2 or 3) during an upcoming trip to the UK.

Tips appreciated based on personal experience rather than advice on what website to look up, etc.

Tah ever so...
You could try the YHA youth hostels. Sorry can't speak from personal experience as we live close enough to London not to have to worry about overnight accommodation. However, the YHA generally are far more geared up now for families and have family rooms, some with en suite facilities. I think there are at least 4 or 5 hostels in central London.

www.yha.org.uk

Nicola
Old Jun 27th 2003, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Sandra,

I should've mentioned that the kids are 15 and 12 years old. We are considering Central London for sure and about the cheapest we have found is a hostel in the old St Paul's Choir School. That would be 80 pounds per night for a family room.

Re Kensington Close: Would you recommend it? Was the 110 pounds for both rooms (total)?
Try travel inn several central to London family room approx seventy pounds. Good size rooms v cheap! check out their website www.travelinn.co.uk
Cheers Tori
Old Jun 27th 2003, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you both,

Have looked into one youth hostel as mentioned above (3rd posting). Will check out the Travel Inn idea.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Hi

Not that long ago we stayed in London (just two of us) cost £60 for two nights - special deal through hotel connections

www.hotelconnections.co.uk

not sure if this is the exact typing of the address could be hyphen between the hotel and connections - they have a telephone number on their site so you can speed things up by phoning them.

Stayed at Ramada Jarvis in Kensington - very clean nice area hyde park at one end and main street at other for tube and buses (5 min walk if that).

Not sure if they have the same offer but - they do always have some offers on.

Good luck