Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to stay first 3 months in Melbourne

Where to stay first 3 months in Melbourne

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

surreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant future
Smile Where to stay first 3 months in Melbourne

Hello
We’ve had our emigration now for a year, but haven’t taken the plunge. Not my decision, my husbands. He still isn’t totally convinced. I’m desperate to go and hassle him continually. Anyway, the reason I am posting today is for help/advise on somewhere to stay in Melbourne. My husband has agreed to have three months there early next year so we can really live and breath Australia. In the passed we have had two/three weeks there and always stayed my relations, so not really been exposed to the real world so to speak. I would like us to stay somewhere really nice, near to all the amenities, City, beaches. I liked the area around Yarra river. Those trendy appts with gym/pool looked great, but prob very expensive, could maybe afford for 3 months though.
Any advise would be very much appreciated.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay first 3 months in Melbourne

Originally Posted by surreyfamily
Hello
We’ve had our emigration now for a year, but haven’t taken the plunge. Not my decision, my husbands. He still isn’t totally convinced. I’m desperate to go and hassle him continually. Anyway, the reason I am posting today is for help/advise on somewhere to stay in Melbourne. My husband has agreed to have three months there early next year so we can really live and breath Australia. In the passed we have had two/three weeks there and always stayed my relations, so not really been exposed to the real world so to speak. I would like us to stay somewhere really nice, near to all the amenities, City, beaches. I liked the area around Yarra river. Those trendy appts with gym/pool looked great, but prob very expensive, could maybe afford for 3 months though.
Go with what you like the look of There are Quest short stay apartments not too far from the river as well I believe, but they may work out even more expensive!
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Saint Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

We stayed for the first couple of months in a fantastic apartment in Southbank. Lots of bars and restaurants nearby and easy access to most places. It cost $750 pw which may seem expensive but while we waiting for our furniture to arrive we had a a fully furnished flat and use of the gym and pool. A great start to our life down under.

The company we used were Corporate Keys and we were very impressed.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Bayside area - spreading south east from the CBD. Some great areas with different feels to them. From St Kilda (very bohemian and entertaining) through Brighton, Elwood, Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock to Beaumaris. All within 25 mins drive of the city. Would give you a good feel to living here, commuting (drive or train or tram), shopping and nightlife. Quest is a good idea. My employer put us up with Quest when we arrived and it was terrific. I believe they have a number dotted around Melbourne.

Tell your husband to go for it. I was a little apprehensive, it was my wife who was keen, but I love it. Almost a year since we arrived from Hampshire and we are all (we have 2 kids aged 4 and 6) settled and enjoying it tremendously. It's been a fabulous experience and quite an adventure. It is a huge upheaval but we certainly feel that it's been worth it - and we had been pretty happy back home.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help, advice or info. Happy to help.
Col

Hello
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

surreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant futuresurreyfamily has a brilliant future

[Hello Col
Thank you for your reply, it has really helped to reassure me that we would be making the right decission. My husband is slowly coming around and I'm sure that the trip will convince him. Good luck in your new life.
Karen

QUOTE=haggis supper]Try the Bayside area - spreading south east from the CBD. Some great areas with different feels to them. From St Kilda (very bohemian and entertaining) through Brighton, Elwood, Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock to Beaumaris. All within 25 mins drive of the city. Would give you a good feel to living here, commuting (drive or train or tram), shopping and nightlife. Quest is a good idea. My employer put us up with Quest when we arrived and it was terrific. I believe they have a number dotted around Melbourne.

Tell your husband to go for it. I was a little apprehensive, it was my wife who was keen, but I love it. Almost a year since we arrived from Hampshire and we are all (we have 2 kids aged 4 and 6) settled and enjoying it tremendously. It's been a fabulous experience and quite an adventure. It is a huge upheaval but we certainly feel that it's been worth it - and we had been pretty happy back home.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help, advice or info. Happy to help.
Col[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for your reply, I will contact Corporate Keys as this sounds actually what I would be looking for.
What's it like to live in Port Melbourne?
Karen

Originally Posted by Saint Andy
We stayed for the first couple of months in a fantastic apartment in Southbank. Lots of bars and restaurants nearby and easy access to most places. It cost $750 pw which may seem expensive but while we waiting for our furniture to arrive we had a a fully furnished flat and use of the gym and pool. A great start to our life down under.

The company we used were Corporate Keys and we were very impressed.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hello surreyfamily- I wondered what happened to you after our meetup in Frimley back in Oct. 2004! I had a trip to Melb in 2005 but we've not been able to get a visa
Now thinking about NZ as they aren't as ageist!

I have some brochures/maps/touristy stuff if you want to borrow them. Some of the folk from the meetup are now in Melb. go to the britvic site for info too. http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx

http://www.questapartments.com.au/pa..._Victoria.html

I stayed in the Dromana big4 down at Mornington Pen.
these 2 are often mentioned as good too.
http://www.big4ashleygardens.com.au/
http://www.melbournebig4holidaypark.com.au/
Helen
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hello
Hi there,

Like HaggisSupper I think Melbourne is utterly superb. I struggle to imagine going back to Blighty. My family became very settled here only 3 or 4 of the 15 months we've been here.

But I would like to give some words of caution to you. If I've read your mail correctly you are between a rock and a hard place. Your husband is ambivalent about the move...he's seems unwilling to commit to a full move...so a temporary one is being touted to 'sell' the idea to him.

I suppose my concern revolves around how near to real life your three month stay will be. I can get my head around your proposal if you really have the cash to live near the beach, best amenities, CBD on a permanent basis. If that is the case, then fine. If not, then you will not be living in your own real prospective Australia. Put it this way if a prospective migrant to the UK decided to come to the UK based upon a three month stay in Chelsea, but actually intended to live in a Croydon, Swansea or some little village. It is not the same.

Have I poured cold water on your idea leaving you in mental limbo with your husband? Well, I hope not. But I am asking you to take care in not turning your 3 months into selling Melbourne as a never-never land you'll never actually live in yourself. Reality for many of us is ordinary suburbia, waiting for a packed train to turn up at 7am, our 20 days annual holiday, dealing with global time differences, Friday night footy. Only for some is Melbourne endless coffees on Ackland Street, endless days on the beaches, and multiple long distance trips down the Great Ocean Road.

I love this city and this country. I feel so very lucky to have ended up here so happy. Personally, this came to be because as a family were brutally realistic about what our life here would be.

Good luck with your husband. If he continues to resist then remember the old adage the UK army teaches its troops when training them to take prisoners: "A man goes where his balls go'. Grab him.

Neil
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Saint Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your reply, I will contact Corporate Keys as this sounds actually what I would be looking for.
What's it like to live in Port Melbourne?
Karen
Hi Karen,

Port Melbourne is great, we wanted something close to the CBD for work and close to the beach. It takes us 15-20 mins on the tram and you are in the centre of the CBD and we're a stones throw from the beach.

All good amenities everything we wanted really. Now looking forward to the summer and the better weather.

Kathy at Corporate Keys was very helpful, they've got plenty of apartments in Southbank and along St Kilda Road. Southbank would give you a good base to explore Melbourne and the suburbs. We took trams, trains and drove out to places we thought about renting a place in, and Port Melbourne was right for us.

Good luck in your plans to convince your husband.

Cheers, Andy
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Hello Neil

Many thanks for your mail. You are so right on every point, but you can't blame a girl for trying!!

Our whole married life my husband has been the reserved one, maybe it's his upbringing, I'm one
of seven so always had to fight for what I wanted.

I have always pushed for a better life for us, it's been really hard at time, my husband is a self employed , so work
has been slow the last few years, this adds pressure on me to keep up the 9 to 5 job. I can't see it getting any easier long term.

Our boys are all grown up and have a life of their own, they love living here, they have everything they want so that's their choice it doesn't have to mean we have to stay to watch over them just in case, this is what I think my husband thinks, although he would deny it.

I have always booked the out of the ordinary hols, instigated our house moves and there has
been a few I can tell you, he has always been a bit concerned and worried about the outcome, but I can honestly say
they have always been a success and he has enjoyed every minute of them. I can heard him now telling his mates what a great
time he had, the best thing he had ever done etc..

Anyway, I know in my heart it would be the right choice for us at our
time of life, we deserve a less stressful life, I'm fed up with working full-time while doing up houses then re-selling them just to be able to climb the property ladder.
We both have hobbies that we could pursue in Australia and more frequently I know, it's now or never while our
health and age is on our side.

My husband loves motor bikes, I love jogging and horse riding, we could both enjoy these activities much more there.
He could maybe buy that Harley he has always wanted and have time to enjoy by actually using it. My brother has one
but it spends more time in the garage than out.

You are right about the glossy bit, staying somewhere for 3 months that wouldn't be the real thing, but I do have relations there, so seeing them more
frequently will help to keep our feet on the ground so to speak.

Anyway better go now as could go on for ever, but it's nice to get it of my chest, thanks again for your advice, all the best to you and your
family

Karen

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Hi there,

Like HaggisSupper I think Melbourne is utterly superb. I struggle to imagine going back to Blighty. My family became very settled here only 3 or 4 of the 15 months we've been here.

But I would like to give some words of caution to you. If I've read your mail correctly you are between a rock and a hard place. Your husband is ambivalent about the move...he's seems unwilling to commit to a full move...so a temporary one is being touted to 'sell' the idea to him.

I suppose my concern revolves around how near to real life your three month stay will be. I can get my head around your proposal if you really have the cash to live near the beach, best amenities, CBD on a permanent basis. If that is the case, then fine. If not, then you will not be living in your own real prospective Australia. Put it this way if a prospective migrant to the UK decided to come to the UK based upon a three month stay in Chelsea, but actually intended to live in a Croydon, Swansea or some little village. It is not the same.

Have I poured cold water on your idea leaving you in mental limbo with your husband? Well, I hope not. But I am asking you to take care in not turning your 3 months into selling Melbourne as a never-never land you'll never actually live in yourself. Reality for many of us is ordinary suburbia, waiting for a packed train to turn up at 7am, our 20 days annual holiday, dealing with global time differences, Friday night footy. Only for some is Melbourne endless coffees on Ackland Street, endless days on the beaches, and multiple long distance trips down the Great Ocean Road.

I love this city and this country. I feel so very lucky to have ended up here so happy. Personally, this came to be because as a family were brutally realistic about what our life here would be.

Good luck with your husband. If he continues to resist then remember the old adage the UK army teaches its troops when training them to take prisoners: "A man goes where his balls go'. Grab him.

Neil
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Hello
God.. was it that long ago our meet up, time flies. Our house development took forever to sort out and as you will read from my posts hubby still isn't convinced, but at least he is prepared to go for a 3-6 month break, who knows he might change his mind or I might.
What's happened with you then?
Karen

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hello surreyfamily- I wondered what happened to you after our meetup in Frimley back in Oct. 2004! I had a trip to Melb in 2005 but we've not been able to get a visa
Now thinking about NZ as they aren't as ageist!

I have some brochures/maps/touristy stuff if you want to borrow them. Some of the folk from the meetup are now in Melb. go to the britvic site for info too. http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx

http://www.questapartments.com.au/pa..._Victoria.html

I stayed in the Dromana big4 down at Mornington Pen.
these 2 are often mentioned as good too.
http://www.big4ashleygardens.com.au/
http://www.melbournebig4holidaypark.com.au/
Helen
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Hello Andy

I have contacted Corporate Keys, but I think I will re-send my mail for the attention of Kathy as Southbank does sound right for us. Stone throw from beach sounds great for me, can just see me now jogging.
Thanks for advise
Karen

Originally Posted by Saint Andy
Hi Karen,

Port Melbourne is great, we wanted something close to the CBD for work and close to the beach. It takes us 15-20 mins on the tram and you are in the centre of the CBD and we're a stones throw from the beach.

All good amenities everything we wanted really. Now looking forward to the summer and the better weather.

Kathy at Corporate Keys was very helpful, they've got plenty of apartments in Southbank and along St Kilda Road. Southbank would give you a good base to explore Melbourne and the suburbs. We took trams, trains and drove out to places we thought about renting a place in, and Port Melbourne was right for us.

Good luck in your plans to convince your husband.

Cheers, Andy
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Karen I'll pm you..don't want to bore people with old news lol.
Helen
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:21 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Check out Surrey hills, near Camberwell I am sure you will like Canterbury and Malling street. Very close to town but very tree lined with lots of streets to remind you of home
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thebears
Check out Surrey hills, near Camberwell I am sure you will like Canterbury and Malling street. Very close to town but very tree lined with lots of streets to remind you of home
Very true! I loved going by train from Flinders street to my where I was house sitting my friends house in Box Hill and passing all those stations with uk town names! But If you want beach and city then St Kilda would be a good location.. There's no beach at southbank only riverviews surely?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.