Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to stay Brisbane/Sunshine area

Where to stay Brisbane/Sunshine area

Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future
Default Where to stay Brisbane/Sunshine area

Hi All,

Flying into Brisbane next week for 9 nights to validate. Staying in Surfers for 5 nights, any ideas on where to stay/visit for the remaining four nights(2 adults, 2 children 11 and 8).

Cheers

Colin
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:24 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where to stay Brisbane/Sunshine area

Hi,

What about Noosa, it's absolutely gorgeous there and loads of varying accomodation. Lots of places to visit the Eumundi (probably spelt wrong) markets are a must to visit. I think the website is www.noosa.com.au but a search on Google will bring up loads of sites. You can have kite surfing lessons there and they do surf lessons for the kids on the beach.

Have fun!
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

h
would recommend Noosa
try www.wotif.com or www.lastminutedeals.com/au for last minute accomodation deals (not just Noosa but anywhere in Oz).

I holidayed in Qld a while back and used these sites for all my accomodation

Have a great trip
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

I'd have to say Noosa too, its a lovely place to stay. I have also stayed in Mooloolaba for the last two new years and really enjoyed that too. If your feeling real adventurous and can afford the flight, take a flight up to Airlie beach / hamilton island for a week and go on some of the excursions. I have just got back from there and recommend it.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 3:49 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Heres a couple of website for you www.tourismnoosa.com.au, when we where there we stayed at www.hotellaguna.com.au which is right on Hastings street, near the beach, shops and resturants. They were really reasonable and if you stay there ask for a room overlooking the river, fantastic views!
Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:00 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
h
would recommend Noosa
try www.wotif.com or www.lastminutedeals.com/au for last minute accomodation deals (not just Noosa but anywhere in Oz).

I holidayed in Qld a while back and used these sites for all my accomodation

Have a great trip
How long does it take to drive from Noosa to Brisbane?.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:02 pm
Paddington Brisbane

We did it in about 2 and a half hours depends which way you go there is a longer scenic route!
Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Amazulu
How long does it take to drive from Noosa to Brisbane?.
um, about 1.5-2 hrs direct I think. Have never done a direct journey tho as I went via Moloolaba and also spent time inland up in the hills.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

Originally posted by colinmorgan
Hi All,

Flying into Brisbane next week for 9 nights to validate. Staying in Surfers for 5 nights, any ideas on where to stay/visit for the remaining four nights(2 adults, 2 children 11 and 8).

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

When in Surfers go see a dinner/show call Utopia, it was very very silly, and a good family night out. My kids are 8 and 9 and they loved it. One of the jokes will stick with me forever, I will never be able to listen to the safety checks on planes again without a grin on my face.

Have a great time.

Jane
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies.

I'm certainly considering Noosa now.

Anyone know if there are good deals to be had by just turning up at hotel reception, or would it be cheaper booking ahead with the likes of Wotif.com(used them to book the Surfers Paradise hotel)

Colin
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone know if there are good deals to be had by just turning up at hotel reception, or would it be cheaper booking ahead with the likes of Wotif.com(used them to book the Surfers Paradise hotel)

Colin
Hi again
I found hotel standby rates weren't as good as the rates on wotif, etc. But that's just personal experience.

Noosa is lovely - a stark contrast to the vast expanse of high-rise apartment blocks of Surfers. Noosa is very low rise (nothing above 3 stories (apart from a couple of 5 storey ones that were supposedly down to back-handers to the council). Needless to say it's very green as the skyline is taken over by buildings. There are lots of lovely walks, or hire a boat and cruise the river, moor up on a sandbank and picnic on your own little section of beach). It's also very spectatcular up in the hinterland (Eumundi market as someone mentioned) and the mountain villages.

Have a lovely trip
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I'd check wotif, nearly always cheaper than what you will get direct.

Its a good time to visit the Sunshine Coast now. February is one of the quietest months, the horror traffic of the holiday season has gone but its still mid summer, beaches during the day will be fairly quiet, lots of empty hotel rooms = a nice rate. Mooloolabas also popular, basically Noosa attracts a lot of Southern visitors and can be very expensive to eat out in etc. (Probably not in pounds tho) However Mooloolaba is more family orientated and a bit more to do if you have kids. Only 35 minute drive between them, do half and half maybe. If you drive from one to the other take the coast road (David Low way I think), anyway the coastal bit as you go past Coolum is spectacular.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Colin
We stayed in Noosa a while ago.
Just turned up and booked an apartment on the spot.

It is a bit spread out so Nearer to the Beaches,restaurants probably best.
If others are advising a better way to book then they may be right.I've not heard of Wotif.
Never booked anything in advance in QLD but have always gone off season.
Nice walks round the headland.
Have a good time

G
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:08 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought but if you have stayed for five nights at a beach resort, why not try a place inland and see real Qld. Lots of places are within a few hours drive of where you are and places like Toowoomba have airports to fly into plus lots of things to see and do in their area i.e. wineries. Just beem home to the South Burnett region and had a English mate say it reminded him of Welsh countryside.
Anywhere you go you will have a great time.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
I'd check wotif, nearly always cheaper than what you will get direct.

Its a good time to visit the Sunshine Coast now. February is one of the quietest months, the horror traffic of the holiday season has gone but its still mid summer, beaches during the day will be fairly quiet, lots of empty hotel rooms = a nice rate. Mooloolabas also popular, basically Noosa attracts a lot of Southern visitors and can be very expensive to eat out in etc. (Probably not in pounds tho) However Mooloolaba is more family orientated and a bit more to do if you have kids. Only 35 minute drive between them, do half and half maybe. If you drive from one to the other take the coast road (David Low way I think), anyway the coastal bit as you go past Coolum is spectacular.
Noosa is a beautiful place, especially the national park. The Hastings St (I think that was the main drag) restaurants are pricey but are of a good quality. For cheaper stuff Noosaville has a few places.