Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to start with the move????

Wikiposts

Where to start with the move????

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of
Default Where to start with the move????

Well our visa should be with us within the next few weeks, hopefully and we would like to make the move end of feb/beginning of March. We have sold the house and living in rented, hubby has given in his notice We have organised quotes for shippers. Set up a transfer of funds account. What else should I be doing before the visa comes?? I don't want to book flights or accomodation until we know for sure we have a visa. But considering we are wanting to travel in approx 8 weeks:scared: I don't feel very organised. Anybody else cutting it fine? What arrangements have other people made prior to getting their visa? Any comments appreciated.
Thanks Nicky x
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:42 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start with the move????

Guess you've not had many replies cos there's so much you need to do really. Have you tried following this list?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...42&postcount=2

Good luck

Nic
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:09 pm
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

You sound further on than we were 8 weeks before we came We did book our flights before the visa came through (it came through just a month before we flew ) but I wouldn't advise that, it was very stressful. Our house sale was going through too.

We were living in Crewe just before we came out, so just down the road from you in Stoke.

Whereabouts in Oz are you heading?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replys guys. I have done a fair bit on that list, so perhaps i am not as unorganised as i thought. I would just like to start booking flights and accomodation, then at least we have a date to work towards. The house has gone and we don't need to give notice on the rental (I have a very understanding landlady!!) Just things like flights, accomodation, selling car etc.
I work alot in Crewe, I am a paramedic and work from crewe Ambulance station on Badger Ave. We are heading for Perth.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:38 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Leechy,

Phew - quite releived to read that I'm not the only one who's cutting it fine.
I'm paniking as the lease on our rental runs out end of March AND we have to think about getting our dog sorted out which involves paying deposits and booking quarantine. ALSO, need to get hubbie a job secured before we go. :scared:
It's all sooooooooooooo difficult when I don't know if and when we'll get the visa.
I emailed my case officer on Tuesday night but haven't heard anything.
The other thing is that I'll probobly only get 6 months to validate due to a health thing and I think our police checks being done early means we HAVE to validate around end of March/start of April.
I'm really starting to stress now.
We got a CO on December 15th and she rquested info which I sent to her the next day but haven't heard anything.
Anyone got any ideas how long I should expect to wait now??
Thanks Leecy for highlighting exactly what I was thinking myself!

*pearly*

Last edited by onepearlyb; Jan 3rd 2007 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi Leechy,

Phew - quite releived to read that I'm not the only one who's cutting it fine.
I'm paniking as the lease on our rental runs out end of March AND we have to think about getting our dog sorted out which involves paying deposits and booking quarantine. ALSO, need to get hubbie a job secured before we go. :scared:
It's all sooooooooooooo difficult when I don't know if and when we'll get the visa.
I emailed my case officer on Tuesday night but haven't heard anything.
The other thing is that I'll probobly only get 6 months to validate due to a health thing and I think our police checks being done early means we HAVE to validate around end of March/start of April.
I'm really starting to stress now.
We got a CO on December 15th and she rquested info which I sent to her the next day but haven't heard anything.
Ayone got any ideas how long I should expect to wait now??
Thanks Leecy for highlighting exactly what I was thinking myself!

*pearly*
Hi Pearly

I'd expect a straight forward case to be around the middle of January (with xmas hols etc), so you could be looking at anytime between early Feb/early March at the best
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:02 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi Pearly

I'd expect a straight forward case to be around the middle of January (with xmas hols etc), so you could be looking at anytime between early Feb/early March at the best
Thanks Wendy.

was wondering whether to phone my CO and ask her personally but then not sure whether I'd just be bothering her. BUt then again, it is our life we're talking about I suppose so will have to think more about what to do. I'd love to at least get the dog booked into quarantine at the other side and start that paperwork but just don't know whether that's the right way to go.
I was very surprised to only have work info requested by my CO and not the health stuff.
Hope your happy where you are Wendy.

*pearly*
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am not too fussed at getting hubby a job before we land, although as soon as we get the visa we will start putting feelers out. He has been working 7 days a week for months so he can find a job at his leisure when we get there. He says he might as well be at work when its miserable weather and have his days off in the sunshine!!
I had sort of put it all on a backburner until we had xmas out of the way. But now i feel I should be concentrating on the move now.
Trouble is, it's all I'm thinking about now!! Even dreaming about it. Got a pile of ironing and all santas presents to find a home for!! But can't leave this site alone for 2 mins, just in case somebody posts a 'Got It'. Checking emails every 5 mins. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, I'm losing the plot.
Nicky x
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Ches will become famous soon enoughChes will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by leechy100
Thanks for the replys guys. I have done a fair bit on that list, so perhaps i am not as unorganised as i thought. I would just like to start booking flights and accomodation, then at least we have a date to work towards. The house has gone and we don't need to give notice on the rental (I have a very understanding landlady!!) Just things like flights, accomodation, selling car etc.
I work alot in Crewe, I am a paramedic and work from crewe Ambulance station on Badger Ave. We are heading for Perth.
Hi
I see that you are soon moving to Perth as a Paramedic. My husband is about to go through the interview process and we are still not sure if it is for us. Any tips? Do you know what skills UK Registered Paramedics can do in WA or how much thay earn? We have had offers from other states but think that Perth may be better for us so any info you could give us would be great.

Thanks

J