Reload this Page >

Where to start in Melb

Wikiposts

Where to start in Melb

Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start in Melb

Me & Missus aiming for Oct for completion of all paperwork then taking a flight to Melb soonest. The question is, what then - I get off a plane and .....

Need some help here, where should I start regards living (basic rental job until job lined up), looking for a job (IT based) agencies etc, cant do anything in the UK they wont talk or listen to you unless you already live in Aus.

The only thing I know is Medicare (need), Tax Code (need) ? Where do I go once I get off plane.

Guessing a number of you have done this too - help grately received.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to start in Melb

Originally posted by MikeMc
Me & Missus aiming for Oct for completion of all paperwork then taking a flight to Melb soonest. The question is, what then - I get off a plane and .....

Need some help here, where should I start regards living (basic rental job until job lined up), looking for a job (IT based) agencies etc, cant do anything in the UK they wont talk or listen to you unless you already live in Aus.

The only thing I know is Medicare (need), Tax Code (need) ? Where do I go once I get off plane.

Hi there

We are leaving the UK on the 31st Oct, arriving in Melbourne on the 4th Nov. Having never been I can't really give much advice, but if you need places to stay initially then PM me. To recover from jetlag etc we are staying in a house on the beach in Carrum, then the 3rd week were staying in a house in Melbourne to experience city life. During this time we hope to scout around and look for a more permanent rental property.

I'm an IT recruitment consultant and whilst it isn't something I want to continue doing whilst our there I've already been offered lots of interviews with big agencies out there. Telephone interviews in this country then face to face when I get there. Try registering with companies like TMP Hudsons, Pegasus etc.

I was thinking about getting medicare, but having read many posts on the subject I'm not as concerned about it but will probably look at it in the future (especially as we have a young child). Tax file no. a definete, aswell as passing driving test etc.

I'm no expert but if you need anything, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Take care, T
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Oh, forgot to mention. Basic rental really varies depending on where you settle. The further out of the city the cheaper it gets. If you lived about 40 mins from the centre the rent can be anything from £180 to $550, again depends on size of house, location etc. Try browsing on this site www.realestate.com.au.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

MikeMc is an unknown quantity at this point

Trood - thanks for that (sent PM).

At the moment am trying to find out where to live and where to get started. I guess just outside the city, which means getting car taking test and other issues - hmm.

Need to consider all these yet still keep an eye on the savings whilst getting a job.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Mike

I've made the odd post on Melbourne, having been born and raised there and going back soon can I suggest if you haven't done so already thaty you put Melbourne in the search box on this and the immigration forum and a lot of information will come up for you to sift through. Good luck!

OzTennis