Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to start in Brisbane?

Where to start in Brisbane?

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:47 am
Just Joined

challenged2 is on a distinguished road
Default Where to start in Brisbane?

Me and my partner would like to emigrate to Brisbane but we have no idea where to start. We visited there whilst on holiday but stayed in the centre and didn't get to the suburbs. I would be looking for a job in the hospitals and so can anyone suggest a good safe area where we could rent for a few months. Near to the hospitals would be better just for a convenient commute whilst we get our feet on the ground.

Also does anyone work in any of the hospitals and could recommend one to me. I have been looking at jobs at the Princess Alexandra Hospital.

Any advice would be welcome. I am so worried about this move.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start in Brisbane?

Bulimba, Balmoral, Hawthorne, Morningside....nice suburbs with good transport options to PA hospital. As close as possible to Oxford St, Bulimba for restaurants etc.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:59 am
Just Joined

challenged2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks I will do some research in to those areas.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by challenged2
Thanks I will do some research in to those areas.
www.ourbrisbane.com has loads of info. Once you have a few names of suburbs, search the names on here, as most suburbs have been discussed at some point
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 10:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by challenged2
Also does anyone work in any of the hospitals and could recommend one to me. I have been looking at jobs at the Princess Alexandra Hospital.

Any advice would be welcome. I am so worried about this move.
My wife works very near the PA, and travel time by car, for reference, takes her 45mins -1 hr each way from Victoria Point.

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Bulimba, Balmoral, Hawthorne, Morningside....nice suburbs with good transport options to PA hospital. As close as possible to Oxford St, Bulimba for restaurants etc.
These are good suburbs. Plenty really nice spots further out if a commute doesn't worry you. ABC mentions Bayside, which I like and was where I first stayed when I was a greenhorn. It's pretty good. I now live out at the Centenary suburbs, Jindalee, Mt Ommaney and Jamboree heights(where i am)
It's about 10-12 kms outside the city and we really like it. Leafy suburbs, quiet, low crime and not too far out. Cheaper housing too. I would have bought in Paddington which I really like, but too expensive for us I'm afraid.

Do some research and look around. Plenty good spots and really not more than 2 or 3 to avoid.