Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where Should we start?

Where Should we start?

Old Sep 12th 2004, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

going4it has a spectacular aura aboutgoing4it has a spectacular aura aboutgoing4it has a spectacular aura about
Default Where Should we start?

My Husband and I are booked to travel to Melbourne in early October for our exploratory/visa validation trip. Our plans are to spend a week or so in Melbourne before traveling up to Adelaide to spend another week there.

We would like advice on where we can find cheap/ reasonably priced accommodation between Melbourne and Adelaide !

Advice on what areas/towns are pleasent to live in outside of the city centres but which are still commutable !

What is the general opinion on Mornington,Rosebud and Ballarat ?

What is the general opinion on general areas surrounding Adelaide ?

Regards
Going 4 it
Old Sep 12th 2004, 5:16 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where Should we start?

Hiya going4it

should be interesting reading what people ahev to say

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 12th 2004, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Should we start?

As a rough guide, if you're looking at places to buy or rent, it tends to get cheaper (sometimes substantially so) the further you go from the major metropolitan areas and the coast. Having said that, this also applies to Melbourne and Adelaide, as Adelaide is generally significantly cheaper than Melbourne. It's also much drier, being quite close to the desert.

Ballarat is a fairly big place of c.60.000 people, and set in the hills. I quite liked it, though it would be a 110k commute if you worked in Melbourne, though there is a freeway. The other two places you mention are I believe quite desirable coastal towns, virtually contiguous with Melbourne, though I've never been to them.

If you're travelling between Melbourne and Adelaide, I can highly recommend the Great Ocean Road, which would take you along some of the most beautiful coastal scenery in Aus.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by going4it
My Husband and I are booked to travel to Melbourne in early October for our exploratory/visa validation trip. Our plans are to spend a week or so in Melbourne before traveling up to Adelaide to spend another week there.

We would like advice on where we can find cheap/ reasonably priced accommodation between Melbourne and Adelaide !

Advice on what areas/towns are pleasent to live in outside of the city centres but which are still commutable !

What is the general opinion on Mornington,Rosebud and Ballarat ?

What is the general opinion on general areas surrounding Adelaide ?

Regards
Going 4 it