Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where should we emigrate to?

Where should we emigrate to?

Old Dec 5th 2004, 5:23 pm
Get me out of here

suziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant futuresuziequ has a brilliant future
Question Where should we emigrate to?

We have decided that we are fed up in the UK and need a change, we dont really know where we want to go.

We have lived in South Africa and have been back in the UK for 11 years.

So.......

Tell me why we should consider moving to Australia or New Zealand.

What are the good bits and the bad bits..

Any help really appreciated.

Thanx

Sue
Old Dec 5th 2004, 6:42 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we emigrate to?

First of find out if you can qualify for a visa - no good finding your utopia if you can't stay there.

Australia is so big and diverse one persons reasons are not going to be the same as someone elses, and then you add in NZ!

The search fuction is a good start for peoples opinions on varying places and ptlabs FAQs a good place to start to find out if Oz is feasible, and the immigration forum
Old Dec 5th 2004, 7:27 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by suziequ
We have decided that we are fed up in the UK and need a change, we dont really know where we want to go.

So.......

Tell me why we should consider moving to Australia or New Zealand.

What are the good bits and the bad bits..

Any help really appreciated.

Thanx

Sue
Its not easy to immigrate to OZ the first thing to do is to find out if you are eligable to do so.
THe good bits:

The OZ economy is booming, low unemployment
Houses are larger and cheaper then the UK, more houses have large gardens many with swimming pools, land is cheaper.
A nicer warmer climate which means you can spend more time outdoors, although you will get a few days in summer when it feels to hot to go out.
Because of a larger land mass with much smaller population there is less
pollution, conjestion, crowded places.
Thousands of miles of fantastic beaches, parks and national parks.

THe bad bits:
lt is expensive to travel to Europe or to see relatives in UK.
You are not going to escape drugs or crime by moving to OZ, the Crime rate is about the same as the UK, but it really depends on where abouts in the country you live.
In summer it can get hot.
Wages are lower then the Uk.
There seems to be more casual low paid jobs available then good quality full time permanent positions.
Some of the sprawling outer suburbs in Australians cities have been described as dull , souless places, lacking facilities except for large shopping centers.

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 5th 2004 at 7:39 pm.

Old Dec 5th 2004, 8:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Its not easy to immigrate to OZ the first thing to do is to find out if you are eligable to do so.
THe good bits:

The OZ economy is booming, low unemployment
Houses are larger and cheaper then the UK, more houses have large gardens many with swimming pools, land is cheaper.
A nicer warmer climate which means you can spend more time outdoors, although you will get a few days in summer when it feels to hot to go out.
Because of a larger land mass with much smaller population there is less
pollution, conjestion, crowded places.
Thousands of miles of fantastic beaches, parks and national parks.

THe bad bits:
lt is expensive to travel to Europe or to see relatives in UK.
You are not going to escape drugs or crime by moving to OZ, the Crime rate is about the same as the UK, but it really depends on where abouts in the country you live.
In summer it can get hot.
Wages are lower then the Uk.
There seems to be more casual low paid jobs available then good quality full time permanent positions.
Some of the sprawling outer suburbs in Australians cities have been described as dull , souless places, lacking facilities except for large shopping centers.
Wombat
You seem to be mellowing.

I can agree with you at last

G
Old Dec 5th 2004, 9:16 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Grayling
Wombat
You seem to be mellowing.

I can agree with you at last

G
l'd better stop mellowing or l will soon start to sound like a whinging Pom. :scared:

Old Dec 5th 2004, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

walkingthunder is an unknown quantity at this point

a good way to find out is to holiday in australia. rent out a car and travel from brisbane to cairns. or melb to cairns.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 10:14 pm
the-smiths

This question seems to be asked a lot, even on other forums here. You are not actually telling us that you are willing to pack all your stuff into a container, and move the others ide of the world, just by what someone else told you?

Everyone over there now, probably has their own biased view of the part of the country they are living in, so it's up to you, to find the time and go down there ( no pun intended ), to do your own research on everything you will need to survive there, jobs ( most important ), home, kids school, outdoor activities, et al.

As immigration people say, and I hate to quote these people, "each case is different" !

Good luck to you in your quest to emigrate

Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:16 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

a good way to find out is to holiday in australia
That's what i have just done ( booked my ticket to Oz ) although i have been there before once on holidays at that time i didnt have in mind that i wanted to migrate to Australia, so now even though it's still a holiday, the purpose is different. Nothing beats going there to see and make your own conclusions live in Australia.

Regards,
Pedro
Old Dec 7th 2004, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suziequ

You need to have some positive reasons to migrate, otherwise it's generally better to stay put (unless you're young and have nothing to lose).

Did you like South Africa? If yes, and the main reason you left was the political/economic/crime etc situation there, then you'll probably like Australia.

Jeremy
Old Dec 7th 2004, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi SuzieQu,

My hubbie and I are S.African who lived in the UK for 3 years and then moved to the UK. I have never been to NZ so I can't really comment on that but from a S.African perspective, I recommend Australia. For me, it's been easier to settle into as it's a similiar lifestyle that we grew up with, lots of sunshine and outdoor activity, braais , swimming and similar school schedules/holidays. As a generalisation, I think Seffas tend to settle in really easily.

You say that you are fed up with the UK but don't say why which makes it a little more difficult to advice but perhaps someone could recommend the virtues of NZ.

All the best with your decision