Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where should I live in Sydney??

Where should I live in Sydney??

Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where should I live in Sydney??

Ooh people are getting a bit cranky pants aren't they?!

Ferrit, I live in the lower north shore and can testify that it's a nice area with plenty of shopping, restaurants etc.. and not too far from the beautiful Balmoral Beach.

I would agree with some of the other posters however that you might find it hard getting a nice, two bed place for that budget. Now you could get lucky and get something for about the $550, but if you could extend the budget I think you'd be more likely to get something for around the $600 mark.

If budget is an issue though, Cammeray is another lower north shore suburb that can be a bit easier on the pocket than Neutral Bay, Cremorne and Mosman. Waverton and Woolstonecraft would also be slightly more economical options.

Best of luck with the search
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Ferrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the advice everyone, not sure why some people are getting a little giddy, at the end of day I don't mind what nationality, ethnicity, creed people are. As long as they treat me how I treat them, which is nice and with respect, I will be happy!

I have def taken on board the notes about pictures, they all look so nice, I am not nieve enough to think that would be the case, you only have to look at hotels etc in holiday brochures to know its not always like that when you get there.

I will have a 2 week window with a serviced apartment and a rented car to sort out my accommodation so thanks again everyone, good luck to me indeed!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Oh, sorry, one more thing.. if you go to a viewing, say its advertised at $500p/w, is it probable to get into a bidding war and the price going much higher? Common sense would say yes but just wondering as its not like that in the UK, from my experience as a tenant its who is quickest!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ferrit
Oh, sorry, one more thing.. if you go to a viewing, say its advertised at $500p/w, is it probable to get into a bidding war and the price going much higher? Common sense would say yes but just wondering as its not like that in the UK, from my experience as a tenant its who is quickest!
If there's a lot of competition for a place, it won't do you any harm to offer more if you can afford it. Saying that, we actually bargained down the price for the place we're in so it's not always the way! I would most definitely go prepared though - have all your references and ID in order and fill out and return your application ASAP. Speed is paramount!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:13 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

yes do all paperwork asap.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hotfuss
If there's a lot of competition for a place, it won't do you any harm to offer more if you can afford it. Saying that, we actually bargained down the price for the place we're in so it's not always the way! I would most definitely go prepared though - have all your references and ID in order and fill out and return your application ASAP. Speed is paramount!
By references do you mean landlord/estate agent reference from the UK?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 10:29 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

yes from the previous landlords/agents, and maybe a reference from employer's HR won't hurt (as you are new to oz).
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Balmain and at the upper end of the amount you are planning on spending for a 2 bed you will be right at the bottom of the market (think older apartment block without balconies).

Balmain however has lots of poms and kiwi's. I think that's probably helped by the number of pubs

I personally wouldn't live anywhere else but it is pricey because so many people want to live on the penninsular.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

djamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant future

I used to live in Rozelle and loved it. Annandale is also very nice.

I also lived in Mosman but with the Spit Road, it's like living on the M1.

However, you pay a premium for these types of areas as they're in demand. Also, depends where you going to be working, if it's not in the City Centre then you have a lot more options. Overall, depends on the lifestyle you want to create for yourself.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:52 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

We came over in 2008 with one child, budget of $500 pw for rent (with LAFHA back then) and ended up getting a 2 bed flat in Manly for $750!!! As others have said, be seriously prepared for a shock at the state of some of the apartments here.
The areas you mentioned are all nice but I would consider other places so that your initial start in Oz on a 457 is not a struggle. It is VERY expensive to live in Sydney but if you are working 'centrally' then consider somewhere a bit further out and extend your commute time. Believe me, any commute less than 1 hr is NOT the norm, do not believe the times shown on the 131500 website!!
Fully understand the 'places where Brits are' comment and I know what you meant by it, I certainly took no inference that you wanted to be insular and fully understood that for some people it is nice to have familiarity in language and social standards to mix with initially. You will be OK, you will be working and making new friends. Think of your OH and son who will be alone and lonely in a new country which is not, as one poster already said, Britain with sun. With no family or friend support network I suggest that you really do look hard at an area which has a good family community and lots of playgrounds...that my friend is where your wife will make friends.
Living in a flat can be convenient but also could be part of a transitional neighborhood so think outside of that apartment block. I agree with Cammeray as an alternative, also look at Meadowbank which is a new large development but close to Homebush Olympic Park, Rhodes (big shopping centre) and large grounds around the buildings for walks etc.
If you can, try and squeeze a Relocation Agent out of your new employer as they can get you viewings outside of the normal windows, provide travel and local area knowledge.
You have a very big task my friend, I have been there and was lucky to have had good properties to rent in the 4 years I have been here but it was just that...luck!! Oh, and possibly some roguish Irish charm!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice everyone, I really appreciate it..
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I would say 2 weeks is not enough in a serviced apartment to get over jet lag, set up bank accounts etc and look for somewhere to rent. It took us a month. I think living a bit further out is the way to go- OH's commute is roughly an hour- still less than he had in the uk, and that includes 15mins drive to the station.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:56 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend Lane Cove - we used to live there and paid $580 a week for a 3 bed house although Admittedly it was direct with the owner and a 3 years ago now.

Lane Cove often gets overlooked, but has a lovely centre, good community feel and is straightforwad commute into the city.

Hope you find something

edited to add that you should have as many references as you can have to hand when you go for an ispection - we had a letter of employment (showing salary), bank statement with balance showing (to prove we could afford it), a reference from our mortgage company in the UK to show we had made all payments on time in the past and even a reference for the dog from where we used to do training! We then filled in the application and provided the reference info there and then which gave us a headstart on the other viewers.

Last edited by stevemich; Jul 18th 2012 at 1:01 am.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:59 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I would say 2 weeks is not enough in a serviced apartment to get over jet lag, set up bank accounts etc and look for somewhere to rent. It took us a month. I think living a bit further out is the way to go- OH's commute is roughly an hour- still less than he had in the uk, and that includes 15mins drive to the station.
+1

As another alternative, look further out down the Shire (but for gods sake do NOT watch the program of the same name) in places like Sutherland, Engadine and Loftus (South and South West of the City). You MIGHT find a house with a pool there in areas of good demographics and nice leafy streets to enjoy and make your OH and child feel safe, plus any pool will make a POM family feel good about the move! Direct trains to the City and half an hour from the beaches!!
I would avoid the Hills district (North West of the City) for the moment, not because of any bad reputation but commute at the moment can be torturous, they are building a new NorthWest rail link so should improve in a few years.