Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to settle right after arrival?

where to settle right after arrival?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

legolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nice
Default where to settle right after arrival?

Hi
Thank you for reading my post.
would you please share your knowledge and experience about the places which an immigrant can use to settle right after arrival?

Cheers.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

legolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nicelegolasWood is just really nice
Default Re: where to settle right after arrival?

Any comment and advice is very welcome.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

mariandyok is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you need to put a bit more info into this. Where are you going and what exacty are you talking about? I'm sure lots of peoplewill want to help you.

Andy
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you.
I will land in Sydney sometimes in 3rd quarter of 2009 and I will be alone in my first entry.

things that make scared is the routine right after first entry, things like:

-what will happen in the Airport, are there long queues and long waiting hours?

-how much time the immigration custom usually will took?

-I will have a big bag with me something like:
http://www.ebags.com/heys_usa/4wd_30...modelid=119764

Is it allowed to carry it into the train which operates between airport and different suburbs?

-What is the most suitable options that I can use to transport to city from the airport?

-Which options do I have for staying in the first two weeks that I am looking for a rental studio or shared house?

Thanks.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:52 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Legolas,

Once you leave the plane in Sydney you will join the immigration queue with everyone else from your plane and any other planes that have recently landed. There are 2 different queues - one is for Australian Citizens - you join the other one. Hopefully it won't take too long. While you are in the queue make sure your 'Landing Card' is properly filled in (make sure you declare ANY food items or seed or nuts etc if you have them).

A copy of the card is here for you to look at - http://www.evisastoaustralia.com/section06/customs.pdf

You will be given a card on your plane before you land.

When you are called to an immigration desk you hand over your passport and card. They swipe the passport and see you have a PR visa and will stamp the passport and may (or may not) welcome you to Australia. That's all - very simple!

After immigration you will collect your baggage from your designated baggage carousel, and then proceed to Customs and Quarantine.

Customs and Quarantine
After collecting your baggage you will arrive at Immigration and Customs and be presented with two choices – the Green ‘Nothing to Declare’ channel and the Red ‘Goods to Declare’ channel. See below for information on what needs to be declared.

If you have nothing to declare, you can proceed through the Green channel, however, most bags going through this channel are x-rayed to ensure that quarantine and customs are being enforced. Sniffer-Dogs are permanently posted at the Green channel to ensure that food and other illegal items are not brought into the country.

If you have something to declare, you will need to proceed to the Red channel where your goods will be assessed.

When entering Australia, you will be asked to declare certain items including items of value, food, alcohol and cigarettes. If you are carrying more than the specified limit for those items, you will be required to pay ‘duty’ or tax on them. Before leaving for Australia, be sure to check the Australian Customs Service webpage at http://www.customs.gov.au/.

Australia is a very isolated place and, as a result, has an environment that is highly susceptible to foreign pests – diseases, plants, animals, and other foreign bodies. As a result, quarantine is strictly enforced in Australia to protect our invaluable environments and industry.

The list of goods you must declare is very comprehensive, ranging from food to items made of wood. If you have recently been near a farm, or are arriving from certain destinations in South America or Africa, you may be required to make a declaration.

More information on quarantine is available at

www.aqis.gov.au
Declare everything! If you are in any slightest doubt, ask an official.

Once you are through customs you go through a big set of doors into the main airport - there are signs to the train station.

You will be fine carrying your bag on the train.

I suggest staying in a backpacker hostel for a few weeks to settle in to find a place to live. You can get single rooms from about $40 - 60 per night.

Good luck!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your very good information. It helps to create a picture of what I am going to face in the Sydney airport.

A single doubt, If I do not have any of the items which are asked in the form ( seeds, animals, alcohol, and etc) then I can collect my bag and go through the green channel?

I am planning to bring my laptop, external hard drive, digital camera, some climbing equipment, some formal and informal dress. and Based on the content shown in the form none of them is included in the items which need to be declared.

Thanks.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:57 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Legolas,

As long as you have NO food (not even a chocolate bar) and your climbing equipment is very clean (spotless) then you should be fine.

Good luck!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:38 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

When you are on the plane you will be handed a detailed card to fill out for customs (I have never seen one so detailed elsewhere). Mostly it is just ticking boxes. So long as you fill that out - and ask someone at customs if you are unsure - you are going to be fine.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:15 am
Just Joined

vito is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone have the information of cheap (around AUD$100 per night) accomodation for new arrival around University of New South Wales area ? We are with 2 kids. Thanks in advance for your info.

Regards,
vito