Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Perth to Live?

Where in Perth to Live?

Old Oct 15th 2004, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

ZimBabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in Perth to Live?

I know this probably one of those how long is a peice of string questions, but I will bore you with it anyway!!!!!

I am tentatively looking to move to Perth, (Only just started, so long way to go yet!) I would like the following criteria:

1: Want to live within 15 minutes drive or 15 minutes walk of a beach. (Would like to pursue my new found surfing hobby)
2: Want to live within 10 minute bus or car drive of a big town centre, but still live in a nice street.
3: Need to live somewhere where there are jobs available (Temp or Perm) I am a qualified Secretary/Office Manager.
4: Would like to live near a train station, although this is not imperative.

I am 27 and would be moving there by myself, so not to fussed about schools or family neighbourhoods. I have tried searching the net for prices on real estate, but the Perth area seems so vast, I really need some suburb names. Looking for a house up to around $200K but dont want a terrible nasty neighbourhood.

Any advice much appreciated, and when I have all the answers I will be more use to other new people posting on this site.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 2:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Perth to Live?

Originally Posted by ZimBabe
I know this probably one of those how long is a peice of string questions, but I will bore you with it anyway!!!!!

I am tentatively looking to move to Perth, (Only just started, so long way to go yet!) I would like the following criteria:

1: Want to live within 15 minutes drive or 15 minutes walk of a beach. (Would like to pursue my new found surfing hobby)
2: Want to live within 10 minute bus or car drive of a big town centre, but still live in a nice street.
3: Need to live somewhere where there are jobs available (Temp or Perm) I am a qualified Secretary/Office Manager.

I am 27 and would be moving there by myself, so not to fussed about schools or family neighbourhoods. I have tried searching the net for prices on real estate, but the Perth area seems so vast, I really need some suburb names. Looking for a house up to around $200K but dont want a terrible nasty neighbourhood.

Any advice much appreciated, and when I have all the answers I will be more use to other new people posting on this site.

How about Innaloo? near the beach - Scarborough, near the station - Stirling.
Not that far from the city.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 2:53 am
In Auckland, for now

hopper is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth was on our list of places to work in after some friends of ours went over there.Where are the best places to live and work in Australia, places where you can have a well paid job,a nice modern house,good schools and plenty of outdoor activities as well as theatres,cinemas etc?
Old Oct 15th 2004, 2:56 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi
I am in Padbury, Whitfords shopping centre 5 mins away, beach 8mins if that. The house prices are from about $200k. It takes about 25min to get into the city.
When you look at the map anything this side of the freeway gets you to the beach within 10mins, but don't rule out the other side, woodvale etc as the road system over here is much better than the uk and we ahve found it so much better getting around here. There are bus stops all over and a lot of them go to the train stations.
I drove through Scarborough yesterday, I had been told it was full of adicts but found some really nice roads and areas. It may take you sometime when you arrive to figure out where you really want to be.
Its been 2 months for us so far, we know what we are looking for "sort of" but am not committing until next year.

Jenny
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Where in Perth to Live?

Thanks for the advice, would look at renting for the first few months, whilst I find a job and explore my new life. Like so many people before me.

The suggestions sound promising, so now to spend hours and hours searching real estate websites. No wonder I cant sleep, it's currently 04:05 here in the UK. Luckily I have the rest of the week off work.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 9:23 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

JOONDALUP (might not have spelt it right) not sure about train station but big shopping centre cinema couple of trendy bars restaurants nice houses and beautiful park where you can feed the parrots, just hold your hands out and they come to you, good place would have been one of my choices if we were going to Perth.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:27 am
owieb

Thanks for the advice, would look at renting for the first few months, whilst I find a job and explore my new life. Like so many people before me.

The suggestions sound promising, so now to spend hours and hours searching real estate websites. No wonder I cant sleep, it's currently 04:05 here in the UK. Luckily I have the rest of the week off work.
If you are planning on renting to start with, then I'd go for somewhere like Cottesloe.

It's got some great surf breaks, right on the beach, easy access into town. And has a good social scene which will be ideal for you to get out and meet people.

To buy there would be pretty expensive; but renting will give you an idea of what you actually like/want.

Although a 15min drive to the beach might not sound that bad; you'll soon want to be much closer to catch those morning breaks.

I think you would be totally bored in Joondalup; it may "on paper" meet your requirements, but IMHO it's a very sterile and uninspiring place to live.

Renth's suggestion of Innaloo/Scarborough is another good one. Scarborough has really started to pick itself up as a good neighbourhood. Friends of mine live there and love it. A few years ago it was known for it's problems, but the council have been working hard to clean up it's image and it's now becoming quite a desirable place to live.

BTW the main surfing areas are Trigg, Scarborough, Swanborne, Cottlesloe and Leighton so check your distances from those places.

Last edited by owieb; Oct 15th 2004 at 11:45 am.

Old Oct 15th 2004, 11:29 am
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Hi

Give these a try

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ch?a=bhp&t=ren

http://www.west-oz.com/Maps/perthmetromap.pdf

I'd try Freo tho'
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Give these a try

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...ch?a=bhp&t=ren

http://www.west-oz.com/Maps/perthmetromap.pdf

I'd try Freo tho'[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the website and map, had spent hours on that website before, and thats where I was getting so confused, the map is fantastic and really gives me an idea of where everything is in relation to one another. Now I can go back and know which suburbs to look for.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Very much appreciated.

Nice of you guys to think of the social side of things for me!!!!!
Old Oct 17th 2004, 1:35 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

From what you said, other peoples replies, and my own experience, I would say Cottosloe and surrounds is best.

Problem with Scarborough: not near train, and to far from city because not near freeway either.
Also, I think it looks quite hmm, 'trashy'(ok, bit ott, but can't think of better word!) I've seen much nicer suburbs.

Problem with Joondalup and anything up around there: to far up from places to go out, and less work oppertunities.
And no good surf beach(but I don't know about that kind of thing)

You'll be right for jobs btw, I got a job as receptionist/secretary easy. Just apply for jobs via www.seek.com.au, they mostly go through agencies. I'm now a casual via 'Recruitment solutions' for 3 months, then will become permanent.
Most jobs are in the city, east and westperth, and Subiaco.

If you'd be working in the city, I'd say it's essential sort of to be near a train. The drive in, in rush hour, is not that great!
The freeway usually moves, but if you're near a beach, you wouldn't (only) be using the freeway, you'd be on the so called highways or big roads, with lots of traffic lights.

Our situation: we're not beach people, so chose somewhere central. Mount Hawthorn, next to freeway, and Glendalough train station. 20 minutes bike ride to Subiaco(for Pascals work), and half an hour drive to Maddington(way down south) for my work. And close to Leederville, Northbridge, Subi and city.
But, as I said, not close to beach, so this is useless info for you

Good luck!
Don't know enough suburbs to be of more help.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the information, but I jumped the gun a bit on deciding where I wanted to live, subsequently I have found that I do not meet the 120 points and I have no chance of doing so. So I have decided to go the Education route, unfortunately in doing so I have to live and study in one of the 3 nominated States / Territories which are Tasmania, Southern Australia or Victoria.

I have decided on Victoria, and am applying for the Diploma of Building Surveying course (Bit different from Secretarial!) which is 2 years full time at the Gordon Institute of TAFE in Geelong. Not sure what Geelong is like, maybe I will ask again!

Thanks again, and when I finish my studies, my TRA assessment and have successfully been accepted for Migration (Phew, what a long road) Perth will be the place I'll be heading to.