Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in oz and why?

Where in oz and why?

Old May 25th 2003, 9:23 am
plumber39

Default Where in oz and why?

Just curious as to where in oz people want to live and why they,ve choosen that particular area?

Old May 25th 2003, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point

Going to Noosa upon arrival (staying with mother in law until we on our feet)

THen hope to move CLOSER to Brisbane - as we may need to get work there (retail)

Wouldn't mind Mooloolaba or Maroochydore - nice places and house prices aren't too bad if you dont mind living a short drive from the coast....

Anth
Old May 25th 2003, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

edwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Brisbane..know some people there and one very nice girl among those ;-)..Perth would be an alternative because little bro is living there.Weather is much nicer in Brisbane then Perth so Brisbane it will be

Last edited by edwin; May 25th 2003 at 12:56 pm.
Old May 25th 2003, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

anthonykirby is an unknown quantity at this point

Edwin,

When are you going over???

What visa you intend on getting ???

Cheers
Old May 25th 2003, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

edwin is an unknown quantity at this point

When : ASAP..but wil have to wait for skills assesment first..then apply for my visa skilled independant..asco code 4913-11.The skills assesment should be comming in soon now..TRA got it 7th of may and did choose the option fast :-)
Old May 25th 2003, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

We have chosen to go to Brisbane mainly because we know a few people there and some South Africans who compare it favourable to Durban in South Africa but without the politics. Also properties appear to cost less than other places and from programs that I have seen it appears to be a wonderful place to live and bring up children.

Oh, and we won't have a lousy mortgage to contend with.

Cheers
Old May 25th 2003, 1:42 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We are going to Melbourne hopefully by the end of this year. Planning on living somewhere on the Mornington Peninsula. Why there? Cos we have a lot of friends down there and my hubby is going to play cricket for flinders.

Jo
Old May 25th 2003, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

sgtPommie is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in IT so need to be in a main city.

We lived in Sydney before and although it was great weather and fantastic beaches it was still a rat race. Few true aussies either as many had never travelled from the nearby reaches of the city.

We travelled around all over in our campervan and our first impressions were...

Melbourne - Big, plenty to do and see, weather changeable...

Adelaide - Passed through very quickly... a bit remote... didnt see enough to comment.

Brisbane - Nice weather, plenty to see and do, a little too far inland from the beaches though...

Canberra - Too far from the beaches, too clinical... yuck...

Cairns - Great Holiday destination... lovely little place...

Perth - Wide open green looking city... plenty of character and great beaches... seemed very very relaxed.... a little remote but the south west corner was just beautiful

Darwin - Fantastic exploring kakadu...nice place... could I stick the heat of more than one dry season though?

Perth then is our destination!!
Old May 25th 2003, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in oz and why?

Adelaide, We have friends there who we have visited 3 times. We like it so why not??

If I can't get a job in my field, I'll do something different
Mash...

Originally posted by plumber39
Just curious as to where in oz people want to live and why they,ve choosen that particular area?
Old May 25th 2003, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

We're looking to settle somewhere in or around Brisbane. Few of the reasons are the weather, lifestyle, jobs and or prospect of them. Hubby and I are both nurses so hopefully shouldn't be too difficult. House prices are reasonable. We have good friends in Sydney but a bit too expensive for us. Want to be near enough so we can visit now and then.

Anyone else?
Old May 25th 2003, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

we are going to Frankston near Melbourne because that's where the in-laws are.
Will stay a while with them and if we like what we see we will buy near there.........not too close, but let's face it anywhere in Oz is closer than Lincolnshire :-)
Old May 25th 2003, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where in oz and why?

Destination Perth, lovely place very relaxed and has everything you need, beaches , pubs, you know, important stuff! also cos the climate is more 'med' the summers are more bearable than bris. and less tropical bugs crawling around as its cooler!
If we werent going to perth then next choice would be Brisbane, sunshine coast as nicer than gold.
not much to do in Cairns unless you scuba on the reef everyday and summer to hot and humid, Sydney really nice especially Manly area but way expensive. Darwin, er no unless you like dodgy hillbillies!

t.c