Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where are the others??

Where are the others??

Old May 7th 2003, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Where are the others??

It just dawned on me that almost everyone posting here planning to immigrate is from the UK.

Surely there must be some others from elsewhere?

Isn' t that a little strange?
Old May 7th 2003, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where are the others??

Probably becuse its a British Expats site. There are many others from all over the world who post on the immigration site asking questions about the process. They never come here for some reason..............I wonder why?

Mash

Originally posted by dotty
It just dawned on me that almost everyone posting here planning to immigrate is from the UK.

Last edited by mashiraz; May 7th 2003 at 6:18 am.
Old May 7th 2003, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mashiraz
Probably becuse its a British Expats site. There are many others from all over the wold who post on the immigration site asking questions about the process. They never come here for some reason..............I wonder why?

Mash
You beat me to the punch!
Old May 7th 2003, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

ianduggan5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Because the UK is going to the dogs FAST!

Just compare the amount of posts between this forum, those that want to leave, to the Returning to the UK forum and you may just get an idea.

Australia may have its problems, you may not even like it, but compared to the UK it is a better place.
Old May 7th 2003, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ianduggan5
Because the UK is going to the dogs FAST!

Just compare the amount of posts between this forum, those that want to leave, to the Returning to the UK forum and you may just get an idea.

Australia may have its problems, you may not even like it, but compared to the UK it is a better place.

ah...to be fair here, there are plenty of ozzies in the UK, but they obviously wouldn't post here, even though they are obviously moving to the UK...just one example
Old May 7th 2003, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by mashiraz
Probably becuse its a British Expats site. There are many others from all over the world who post on the immigration site asking questions about the process. They never come here for some reason..............I wonder why?

Mash
Thought of that. But it still seems the majority of immigrants to OZ are from the UK.

Does anyone know if the UK is the top of the pile? Like where are all the Yankee immigrants, Canadian Immigrants, French immigrants. The only ones we ever meet are from the UK

Just seems a bit spooky thats all ...........

(Could just be all those Get a sunny life doco's I suppose)
Old May 7th 2003, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Thought of that. But it still seems the majority of immigrants to OZ are from the UK.

Does anyone know if the UK is the top of the pile? Like where are all the Yankee immigrants, Canadian Immigrants, French immigrants. The only ones we ever meet are from the UK

Don't all the canadian immigrants move down south to the US?
Old May 7th 2003, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

ianduggan5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by joebloggs
ah...to be fair here, there are plenty of ozzies in the UK, but they obviously wouldn't post here, even though they are obviously moving to the UK...just one example
Even though they are obviously main backpackers on a working holiday and have no intention to stay once they have earned their money.
Old May 7th 2003, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ianduggan5
Even though they are obviously main backpackers on a working holiday and have no intention to stay once they have earned their money.

well some obviously are, but I think there are plenty of others who stay, for a variety of reasons. Actually I think thats immigration all over....lots of people in lots of different countries moving to other countries for all sorts of different reasons.
in canada they talk about the brain drain to the states, in NZ lots of their graduates leave for OZ/UK, lots of Ozzie kids move to UK/USA for better wages etc. Im germany and italy, because of high unemployment they're worried about the loss of graduates to UK/USA where job prospects are better....these things come and go, way of the world I think....
anyway I have to get going off to work....
Old May 7th 2003, 10:35 pm
Keelie

Hi dotty...we're not in the U.K. or U.S.A. we're in Canada.
Not as young (in age) as most of you here, but still got plenty of piss and vinegar in the old bones yet.
Our oldest son lives in Oz. and want's us to come in out of the cold, and thaw out
in Queensland.
Seriously...after reading much of the back-posts here, as well as the current comments, I'm developing cold feet... maybe it's not such a good idea after all.

We're not going to burn our bridges, because we do have a good life in Canada.
After much talk, we've decided to go out for a visit and size up the country.

The thing that's putting me off is the suggestion (in another thread here) that the selection of household furnishings and consumer goods available in Oz. is inferior to the expectations of the expats.

My plan was to come out of retirement, and open an Interior Design Studio...in Brisbane perhaps. However, if I can't find quality fabrics,furnishings, wallpapers, or crafts people, the idea will go up in smoke.

It's hard to believe Australia is so far behind the times.. style-wise ? At least that's the impression I'm getting from the ladies posting here.
If anyone would care to comment on what my future prospects might be in
taking on such a venture, I'd be most interested.
Oh, and yes, I'm also an ex Brit.
Keelie.

Old May 8th 2003, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Keelie
Hi dotty...we're not in the U.K. or U.S.A. we're in Canada.
Not as young (in age) as most of you here, but still got plenty of piss and vinegar in the old bones yet.
Our oldest son lives in Oz. and want's us to come in out of the cold, and thaw out
in Queensland.
Seriously...after reading much of the back-posts here, as well as the current comments, I'm developing cold feet... maybe it's not such a good idea after all.

We're not going to burn our bridges, because we do have a good life in Canada.
After much talk, we've decided to go out for a visit and size up the country.

The thing that's putting me off is the suggestion (in another thread here) that the selection of household furnishings and consumer goods available in Oz. is inferior to the expectations of the expats.

My plan was to come out of retirement, and open an Interior Design Studio...in Brisbane perhaps. However, if I can't find quality fabrics,furnishings, wallpapers, or crafts people, the idea will go up in smoke.

It's hard to believe Australia is so far behind the times.. style-wise ? At least that's the impression I'm getting from the ladies posting here.
If anyone would care to comment on what my future prospects might be in
taking on such a venture, I'd be most interested.
Oh, and yes, I'm also an ex Brit.
Keelie.
Look we have done up heaps of houses here and its a nightmare to get anyting here. But people dont generally want it (Aussies),
the general standard of furniture is Pine (so so Ugly) and daggy sofas and beds, sort of mismatched holiday home style. The Trend for the last 7 years has paint evertything you see Blue and Yellow, it drives you mental there is NO imgination whatsoever.
But the biggest keyword here is Cheap I cannot stress this enough. From building the house, to the toilet pan, it must be the cheapest possible you can find. I can only put it down to Low incomes.

I know there are display homes and the mega expensive canal homes, but if you are talking the general everyday person (95% of the market) its cheap cheap CHEAP.

As for clothes, saw Aussie Fashion week on TV. Some American guy was reported saying "Why did they waste our time".

I would Love to see desiner items, designer clothes, even just nice clothes nice items, But I seriuosly doubt many people pay for them they just dont have the money and certainly not the Taste.

Whatever business you do here, it will go well if you can undercut everybody else, unfortunately thats the name of the game here.
Sorry to be so honest. Wouldn't let it put you off, just look at a business where you can go in cheap and youll do fine.
Old May 8th 2003, 2:49 am
Keelie

dotty...I appreciate your telling like it is. Unfortunately your suggestion to go 'cheap' won't work with Interior Design.
I can do 'Budget' work, but not 'Cheap. 'I'd rather forget the whole idea than use miserable quality items.
Ikea has many stylish decent quality furnishings that are very reasonably priced, and I could put some nice rooms to-gether using their product, and at an afforable price.
I'm afraid to ask...is there at least an Ikea in Brisbane?

This is forum is an eye-opener for me...my son never mentions these things, but then again he's an outdoors kinda guy, and as long as he has a comfortable bed, a good meal, sunshine and surf, he's happy as hell. (a batchelor wouldn't you know).
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Perhaps exchanging seven months of winter for twelve months of summer, as well as the opportunity to grow our own fruits and veg's, swim in the warm ocean, and just be able to get outdoors ,instead of being cooped up inside all winter, will make up for the 'finer things in life' that we take for granted here. Swings and roundabouts.

Old May 8th 2003, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Ikea is in Brisbane, South side.

Agree interior design could not be done on the Cheap, and the demand for it would be small, most display homes etc just get the Wife to sort it out instead of hiring someone.

Most men are the same, worldwide, comfy bed comfy sofa, food who cares.

I lived in Canada for 2 years, know some people "snowbirds" just come to OZ for the winter. Have you thought about that option?

Another option, you mentioned plants, friends of ours built up a very nice seedling business, supplying all the big hardware stores, (cheap of course) but might be an idea in there somewhere.
Old May 8th 2003, 4:55 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Most men are the same, worldwide, comfy bed comfy sofa, food who cares.
Don't forget the coupla tinnies.

Cheers - Don
Old May 8th 2003, 5:26 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

you should see our works - It's like the united Nations, although do not come across many Americans or Canadians here - but it was the same in Sing too (do Americans stick to their own part of the world?)

In work , have one Canadian (Job transfer) a Pole (run away from his country years ago - when it was commie, - he can't go back, still a wanted man according to him) , a couple of Italians, N.Zealanders, a German (like to take the mick out of him) , two S.Africans, a Samoan labourer, and English. besides us Welsh

Gets good when the rugby is on - lol

But English people seem to out number by far. :scared:

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; May 8th 2003 at 5:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.