Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where on the Northern NSW Coast?

Where on the Northern NSW Coast?

Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:08 am
Just Joined

cdragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where on the Northern NSW Coast?

Hi everyone.

We are two golden oldies (52 and 53 years) wanting to experience an alternative lifestyle on the Northern NSW Coast. We have seen lots of photos and it looks absolutely beautiful. In our dreams we would like to buy a few acres close to the beach in an area that has a nice community feel to it. Therefore not too isolated. Where we would be able to mix with the locals and make friends. Also we would like to buy a property at a reasonable price (are we asking too much?) We would like to be within commuting distance to either Brisbane or Sydney for cultural weekends away.

We are both big city people and we are wondering if our "dream" is unrealistic or silly. Also, we have no idea about which areas would suit our criteria. Therefore any comments by expats who have done something similar would be appreciated. What are your experiences? What would you recommend?

Thanks.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back to UK Oct 05,Gold Coast Feb 05, Perth Jan 2005 (South Wales b4 that)
Wal10 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where on the Northern NSW Coast?

Originally Posted by cdragon
Hi everyone.

We are two golden oldies (52 and 53 years) wanting to experience an alternative lifestyle on the Northern NSW Coast. We have seen lots of photos and it looks absolutely beautiful. In our dreams we would like to buy a few acres close to the beach in an area that has a nice community feel to it. Therefore not too isolated. Where we would be able to mix with the locals and make friends. Also we would like to buy a property at a reasonable price (are we asking too much?) We would like to be within commuting distance to either Brisbane or Sydney for cultural weekends away.

We are both big city people and we are wondering if our "dream" is unrealistic or silly. Also, we have no idea about which areas would suit our criteria. Therefore any comments by expats who have done something similar would be appreciated. What are your experiences? What would you recommend?

Thanks.
There are lots of lovely places along all parts of the NSW coast.

Tweed at the Northern end currently has a HUGE draw for the retiring Sydney baby boomers, so house prices reflect this. But a little further south along by Cabarita and Pottsville it's quieter and more natural and a bit cheaper, but prices are still creeping up though. There are lots of nice places within 2 hours south of Brisbane.

As for "alternative" lifestyle near the coast there's Byron Bay, Lennox Head or inland a bit to Bangalow. Small acreage is expensive near the coast, but 20 minutes inland you can get 2 hectares for around the $750,000 mark as a rule of thumb.

For SERIOUSLY alternative lifestyle inland there's Nimbin. Sorry, haven't been there myself, so don't know about the house prices.

Further south at Forster/Tuncurry there are small acreage blocks very close to the sea, and you're only 4 hours' drive from Sydney. 1 acre blocks with a house on tend to be somewhere between $500k and $750k, the higher end being close to the sea, and the lower end being about 20 minutes drive inland.

Other than that Coffs Harbour is lovely and is midway between Brisbane & Sydney. Sorry, again I haven't studied the house prices there as it wasn't on our list of places to settle.

Obviously there are so many other places, and the best way to find out is to get here, hire a camper, and travel for 6 months so you can see for yourself.

Hope this helps.

Y.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Thanks.
Do you have a visa?

G
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak for Brisbane but anything within a real commuting distance (ie to work) from Sydney is suburbia and anything nice within 2-4 hours drive north up the coast from Sydney is weekender territory (Sydney-siders have got there already and bumped up the prices). Depends what your budget is, but acreages by the sea within half a day's drive of Sydney will not be cheap. Understandably, what you want is exactly what lots of other people want too.

The real alternate life-style centres in NSW are around Byron Bay and Bellingen (near Coffs Harbour). Idyllic country places near Byron Bay cost a fortune. It's a very popular place for early retirees and sea-changers as it's a stunningly beautiful area, yet quite close to Brisbane. Again not a area for bargains.

Bellingen might be a better choice. Countryside around there and Coffs Harbour is beautiful. Coffs Harbour itself is a bit unattractive and probably a bit light on the cultural side but it's not isolated. It's 5-6 hours in either direction to either Sydney or Brisbane and consequently much cheaper than anywhere closer to Sydney.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone.

Thanks.
Hi
Myself, hubby & 2 kiddies live in Coffs Harbour, we have been here for about 10months. It's a beautiful & friendly place, with house prices quite reasonable, & fantastic beaches. Example of life here, the other day we went for a walk along the Harbour Jetty, & saw about 6 whales...it was fantastic.
Where we live, about 2 mins drive from the city centre, 5 mins from the beach & next to the Golf course, most of the people living in our street are of the older generation. with families dotted here & there.
Coffs has been voted, the most desirable place to live, so most of the community are of the older generation, & when you talk to them they say they will never leave.
The weather is brilliant, but because it's the sub-tropic's, we do have rainy seasons, but in the winter my hubby wore his trousers only once to work, but it did get quite cold at night & 1st thing in the morning. In the summer it reaches about 40 degrees!!!!
We are renting at the moment, but house prices seem very reasonable, we have been told, this is the time to buy. You could try looking at www.realestate.com.au, enter the postcode 2450 (for Coff's & surrounding area's) & check out the prices of property.
Sawtell is also a beautiful place,& is also on the beach, it's about 10k's from coff's.
Bellingen is a nice place, only visited a few times. it's more inland, about 30k's from Coff's. & is a very laid back (hippy town) but it just depends what you want for your retirement.
If i can be of anymore help, please let me know, you can also send me a personal message if you want.
Anyway, good luck, hope you find what you are looking for
Paula 1
Old Oct 14th 2005, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paula 1
Hi
Myself, hubby & 2 kiddies live in Coffs Harbour, we have been here for about 10months. It's a beautiful & friendly place, with house prices quite reasonable, & fantastic beaches. Example of life here, the other day we went for a walk along the Harbour Jetty, & saw about 6 whales...it was fantastic.
Where we live, about 2 mins drive from the city centre, 5 mins from the beach & next to the Golf course, most of the people living in our street are of the older generation. with families dotted here & there.
Coffs has been voted, the most desirable place to live, so most of the community are of the older generation, & when you talk to them they say they will never leave.
The weather is brilliant, but because it's the sub-tropic's, we do have rainy seasons, but in the winter my hubby wore his trousers only once to work, but it did get quite cold at night & 1st thing in the morning. In the summer it reaches about 40 degrees!!!!
We are renting at the moment, but house prices seem very reasonable, we have been told, this is the time to buy. You could try looking at www.realestate.com.au, enter the postcode 2450 (for Coff's & surrounding area's) & check out the prices of property.
Sawtell is also a beautiful place,& is also on the beach, it's about 10k's from coff's.
Bellingen is a nice place, only visited a few times. it's more inland, about 30k's from Coff's. & is a very laid back (hippy town) but it just depends what you want for your retirement.
If i can be of anymore help, please let me know, you can also send me a personal message if you want.
Anyway, good luck, hope you find what you are looking for
Paula 1
I agree with your comments on Coffs. This stretch of coast has the mountains and lots of national parks close by and is really beautiful. A couple of hours' drive inland will get you high up onto the New England plateau and much cooler temperatures, even in summer. Personally I love the fact that there is such a climatic range in such a small area; something which is reflected in the fantastic natural history of this area.

If you want to be within a few hours' drive of Sydney or Brisbane however, then you really ought to consider somewhere further North or South, though I'd certainly consider Coffs and its environs (Sawtell, Bellingen etc) just for it's beauty and variety.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

cdragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your information and comments.

Your feedback has made us all the more excited about the possibity of settling somewhere along the Northern NSW coast. We plan on arriving sometime in March next year and hope to meander along the coast from Sydney to Brisbane slowly to check all of those places out! Whale watching sounds fantastic and certainly a lay back lifestyle is what we are looking for at this stage in our lives. Thanks again.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where on the Northern NSW Coast?

Thank you everyone for your information and comments.

Your feedback has made us all the more excited about the possibity of settling somewhere along the Northern NSW coast. We plan on arriving sometime in March next year and hope to meander along the coast from Sydney to Brisbane slowly to check all of those places out! Whale watching sounds fantastic and certainly a lay back lifestyle is what we are looking for at this stage in our lives. Thanks again.
Hi all

Actually I am the husband of Seasprite - hope I'm allowed to jump on board.
Anyway, just wanted to say that we are planning to move to Sawtell. I visited August 2005 and thought it was fantastic. Glorious beaches with surf at Sawtell main beach and Bongil Bongil, with surf and some more sheltered areas a little north past Boambee and in and around Coffs Harbour. I did some windsurfing at Sawtell and still live to tell!

Sawtell is pretty and quiet - suits me!.

Coffs is alot busier with a nice shopping area and plenty of places to eat out. Coffs didn't strike me as being very classy, but I only visited briefly.

Simbo.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:24 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Evans Head.

The other places people have mentioned are either retirement ghettoes or centres of counter-culturalism.

Evans Head has beaches and views as good as any Ballina or Ocean Shores, and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Nimbin lol...geez...

Happy High Herbs maaaaaaan!

(Actually, I love Nimbin and The Channon, but that's me...)
Old Apr 28th 2006, 1:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand there is a lovely hobby farm for sale up that way, currently stocked with some beautiful Alpacas All the locals are very friendly and all shop keepers will find you anything you want
Old Apr 29th 2006, 10:02 am
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I understand there is a lovely hobby farm for sale up that way, currently stocked with some beautiful Alpacas All the locals are very friendly and all shop keepers will find you anything you want

Just had a long holiday meandering along the NSW Coast from Sydney to Brisbane and back again. Well what can i say? Spectacular scenery but the culture and the people..................... I'm shocked!!!!!!! To think that the Australian taxpayers actually put up with a sub culture of unemployed drunks! Yes, there is little work and the majority of people live on unemployment benefits and/or selling drugs!
Stayed in a number of pubs on the way and the "Happy Hour" was between 5 and 7 pm and 9 and 11am!!!! I'll say no more! The arse end of the world!!!!!
But what a shame. The scenery was absolute paradise. Made me realize though that good weather and great views amount to very little in the overall sceme of things.