Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where are nice suberbs in Perth?

Where are nice suberbs in Perth?

Old Feb 6th 2009, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Donrobo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where are nice suberbs in Perth?

I am relatively new to this forum and am wondering where all the nice suberbs are in and around perth.
We have 3 kids and really would like to live in an area where there is a lovely neighbourhood for kids, friends and other british people in the same boat.
Where should i begin to look...i want a great school for my kids and somewhere safe for them to play outside
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all
Default Re: Where are nice suberbs in Perth?

there all pretty good but it really depends on your budget,

city metro living can cost millions, most of us expats live either 30k north or south of the city around Joondalup or Rockingham,

my opinion is try to stay as close to the coast as poss and your budget will dictate how far north or south you will need to go.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
there all pretty good but it really depends on your budget,

city metro living can cost millions, most of us expats live either 30k north or south of the city around Joondalup or Rockingham,

my opinion is try to stay as close to the coast as poss and your budget will dictate how far north or south you will need to go.
hi there
i see you are in joondalup wot is it like there ( house prices,schools,shops etc..) just we are coming over hopfully june/july time but dont know anyone over there and was thinkin of that area.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

rogermac is an unknown quantity at this point

We are planing to move over in April and are too looking at settling in Joondaloop the main worry is if i can get a job there i have just left my job as a patrol/mechanic for the AA so hoping to land a job in the garage trade in that area.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rogermac
We are planing to move over in April and are too looking at settling in Joondaloop the main worry is if i can get a job there i have just left my job as a patrol/mechanic for the AA so hoping to land a job in the garage trade in that area.
hi there
hope everything go's well it will be nice to keep intouch

good luck
carlz
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Dont let the other on here make you think you have to go NOR or SOR...try the east of Perth.some fantastic places close to the hills,airport,wine region and best of all you are about half way between to north and south for travelling...so if you are looking for work you have better options(a bigger area) to look at.
you have Midland,forrestfield,Cannining vale,the list goes on and on

Steve
Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:25 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say avoid the inner east from Balga through Midland, Thornlie and maybe Armadale and you'll be impressed anywhere else.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:02 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

welcome to the forum! you will be spoilt for choice as there are many suburbs in surrounding areas of perth that are lovely and we all have our own reasons for living where we do.
We are SOR (south of river) and are approx 45 min drive from perth city we are approx 25 mins from fremantle and 15 min drive from mandurah so in my opinion we are in a perfect place to be able to get to where we want to go. Its approx an hour to drive from here to joondalup. obviously it depends on what time of day it is! but I'm talking about non rush hour.
we are 5 mins from our closest beach which is a family beach- that is without rips, but there is a surfing beach 5 mins down the road at secret harbour.
the primary schools round here are good and we have a selection of senior schools very close by with options of private schools too.
we are very happy here, if there is anything I can help with let me know
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donrobo
I am relatively new to this forum and am wondering where all the nice suberbs are in and around perth.
We have 3 kids and really would like to live in an area where there is a lovely neighbourhood for kids, friends and other british people in the same boat.
Where should i begin to look...i want a great school for my kids and somewhere safe for them to play outside
Really, you should figure out where you will be working before looking for where to live. If you are working in Rockingham you will not want to live in Butler. Alternately, if you are working in Joondalup you won't want to live in Secret Harbour. You'll spend all you time commuting!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
I'd say avoid the inner east from Balga through Midland, Thornlie and maybe Armadale and you'll be impressed anywhere else.
surly your not sure which hole your talking out of

inner east is a great place to live...sure, it's not like the manufactured areas to accommodate all the English who come over and it depends on what you are after,you would have to live in those areas to find what you are after,maybe rent first....we lived in ocean reef at first...might just as well been Spai.n
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:30 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2438
surly your not sure which hole your talking out of

inner east is a great place to live...sure, it's not like the manufactured areas to accommodate all the English who come over and it depends on what you are after,you would have to live in those areas to find what you are after,maybe rent first....we lived in ocean reef at first...might just as well been Spai.n
Yes, there are probably even some people that like the idea of running battles between Maoris and aboriginals in their street. Lockridge is the place for them.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:46 am
Just Joined

WestcliffHigh will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by worzel
Yes, there are probably even some people that like the idea of running battles between Maoris and aboriginals in their street. Lockridge is the place for them.
Personally I would avoid suburbs bordering the Perth-Armadale rail line . Really nice suburbs without being scary expensive are in the hills overlooking Perth ...Lesmurdie, Kalamunda , Gooseberry Hill no need to send kids to private schools , good community living & if a VN Commodore is cruising the streets casing houses it sticks out like a sore thumb !
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WestcliffHigh
Personally I would avoid suburbs bordering the Perth-Armadale rail line . Really nice suburbs without being scary expensive are in the hills overlooking Perth ...Lesmurdie, Kalamunda , Gooseberry Hill no need to send kids to private schools , good community living & if a VN Commodore is cruising the streets casing houses it sticks out like a sore thumb !

That is good to know as we will be checking those 3 areas out next month when we are on our reccie. Also been told to look at Forrestfield but can't find any opinion on that?
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:20 pm
I'm a Perthie!

coffeedrinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eeksy
That is good to know as we will be checking those 3 areas out next month when we are on our reccie. Also been told to look at Forrestfield but can't find any opinion on that?
Forrestfield is a lovely suburb in the foothills east of Perth.

Pretty quiet, can get hot in summer; sea breeze does come in late afternoon, so does cool down.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker
Forrestfield is a lovely suburb in the foothills east of Perth.

Pretty quiet, can get hot in summer; sea breeze does come in late afternoon, so does cool down.
I live in forrestfield,and yes it's an older suburb but there are newer builds going on...i just find the place easy going,easy to get anywhere,property is cheaper,schools are as good as any...travel time for me to the city is 30 mins,but we don't have a train station...that's a down side.we are 30 mins from Freo and 30 mins from the northern burbs.

we have hoons and abbos, but we had those in ocean reef...look in short if you want to see real(ish) Australia with Australians look at the eastern Burbs,or the South...if your after home from home look at the Northern burbs...there are some fantastic houses in the norther burbs but they come at a price and i couldn't see the point coming 12 + miles to live with the English...forrestfield does have poms but we're not in each others pockets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.