British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   where are most of the mines in Queensland? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/where-most-mines-queensland-523956/)

macy1 Mar 24th 2008 7:00 am

where are most of the mines in Queensland?

Hi there, were thinking of moving to Sunshine coast or Gold Coast or there abouts, can anyone tell me where most of the mine sites are? just to get a general idea as I know they may be dotted around, and are most of them fly in fly out?

Thanks all :)

PaulandNic Mar 24th 2008 7:10 am

Re: where are most of the mines in Queensland?

Originally Posted by macy1 (Post 6102601)
Hi there, were thinking of moving to Sunshine coast or Gold Coast or there abouts, can anyone tell me where most of the mine sites are? just to get a general idea as I know they may be dotted around, and are most of them fly in fly out?

The North I think ... :unsure:

(fat lot of good that post! ... :lol:)

macy1 Mar 24th 2008 7:11 am

Originally Posted by PaulandNic (Post 6102618)
The North I think ... :unsure:

(fat lot of good that post! ... :lol:)

ahh thanks Paul, might start in the Sunshine coast...bloody confusing seeing as never been :) how are you enjoying Gold coast?

Bix Mar 24th 2008 7:27 am

2 Attachment(s)
Here's everything in the state.....

PaulandNic Mar 24th 2008 7:29 am

Originally Posted by macy1 (Post 6102620)
ahh thanks Paul, might start in the Sunshine coast...bloody confusing seeing as never been :) how are you enjoying Gold coast?

Had a short spell of not liking it, but to be honest didn't like anything then, but am back to loving it!

All good! ... :)

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6102654)
Here's everything in the state.....

:thumbup:

macy1 Mar 24th 2008 7:36 am

Originally Posted by PaulandNic (Post 6102660)
Had a short spell of not liking it, but to be honest didn't like anything then, but am back to loving it!

All good! ... :)

:thumbup:

ahh pleased to hear it Paul, and thanks bix for the info :)

bjddavies Mar 24th 2008 11:07 am

Originally Posted by macy1 (Post 6102601)

I don't think many mines are FIFO in queensland. Maybe some in Weipa (Bauxite) or the Gulf Country (Century Zinc, gold and copper).

You could try FIFO at Mount Isa Mines but it is isolated, not cheap to get to Brisbane and hot if you like that kind of thing.

Queensland coal mines run by BMA tend to have housing close by e.g. Moranbah and Emerald so not FIFO. The coal mines are generally in a line running about 200km in from the coast stretching from Brisbane to Mackay.

macy1 Mar 24th 2008 11:47 am

Originally Posted by bjddavies (Post 6103643)
I don't think many mines are FIFO in queensland. Maybe some in Weipa (Bauxite) or the Gulf Country (Century Zinc, gold and copper).

You could try FIFO at Mount Isa Mines but it is isolated, not cheap to get to Brisbane and hot if you like that kind of thing.

Queensland coal mines run by BMA tend to have housing close by e.g. Moranbah and Emerald so not FIFO. The coal mines are generally in a line running about 200km in from the coast stretching from Brisbane to Mackay.

Ahh thanks for your help....i let hubby read this later :)

biggy Mar 24th 2008 10:48 pm

My hubby works out at the mines...he is based in Rockhampton and travels to......Middlemount, Moranbah, etc...we live in Yeppoon.

Amazulu Mar 25th 2008 12:22 am

When I was at Cairns airport recently I noticed that there were a few FIFO flights out of there. Cairns is also the FIFO base for flights to mines in Papua New Guinea. When you are doing FIFO it does not really matter where the mine is located.

JAJ Mar 25th 2008 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 6106486)
When I was at Cairns airport recently I noticed that there were a few FIFO flights out of there. Cairns is also the FIFO base for flights to mines in Papua New Guinea. When you are doing FIFO ti does not really matter where the mine is located.

It matters if you are planning to apply for Australian citizenship.

macy1 Mar 25th 2008 6:58 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 6106598)
It matters if you are planning to apply for Australian citizenship.

you can fly anywhere is aus though cant you? weve been here nearly 2 years so hoping to get that soon :) just done the test so thats a relief. just tell me so long as you dont fly out of aus its ok as im a bit worried now! :)

Bix Mar 25th 2008 7:40 am

Originally Posted by macy1 (Post 6107380)
you can fly anywhere is aus though cant you? weve been here nearly 2 years so hoping to get that soon :) just done the test so thats a relief. just tell me so long as you dont fly out of aus its ok as im a bit worried now! :)

Yes :thumbup:

macy1 Mar 25th 2008 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6107455)
Yes :thumbup:

phew thank you :)

claire doyle Jul 8th 2008 5:54 am

Originally Posted by macy1 (Post 6107459)
phew thank you :)

You can flyout of Australia and the time just gets taken out of the 2 years so say you went to the UK for a month you would have to be here 2 years and a month to get citizenship, i went overseas a few times and just had to add the time to the 2 years. Good luck with it.