Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Melbourne

Where in Melbourne

Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in Melbourne

We are looking at where we might settle when we finally get to Melbourne, hopefully sometime next year. We/I (let's see how it goes) will probably end up working at or near one of the Universities, and are looking for a decent place N/NE/E of Melbourne. We have two young kids (3 and 8 months at the moment) so good schools/childcare is essential, but would ideally like somewhere with a bit of space and land. We are probably looking at the $600k region, so we should be ok as long as we are not too close in. Any thoughts as to where we should start thinking about?

Then I can send my brother on a fact finding trip the next time he is in Melbourne

Thanks

Alastair
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:21 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where in Melbourne

Originally posted by Al H
We are looking at where we might settle when we finally get to Melbourne, hopefully sometime next year. We/I (let's see how it goes) will probably end up working at or near one of the Universities, and are looking for a decent place N/NE/E of Melbourne. We have two young kids (3 and 8 months at the moment) so good schools/childcare is essential, but would ideally like somewhere with a bit of space and land. We are probably looking at the $600k region, so we should be ok as long as we are not too close in. Any thoughts as to where we should start thinking about?

Then I can send my brother on a fact finding trip the next time he is in Melbourne

Thanks

Alastair

How about Kew, Northcote, Thornbury, Fairfield & Brunswick for starters.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

hi
Do you know which university? If La Trobe uni there are some nice suburbs within commuting distance.....if it were me personally I would go somewhere green like Eltham (that's cos I looked at buying a house in ELtham!). Your $600k would buy a property of about $550 if you were wanting to include your stamp duty (7%) and other fees in the 600k (altho you could get some back for FHOG)

I dont think 600k would buy you much in Kew...certainly not anyhting with land - we lived in a 3 bed house in Kew with private courtyard and shared fron gardens - it was worth 750-800k. 2 bed houses on Denmark St in Kew (=4 lanes of traffic connecting 2 freways) were going for over 400k last year...these were right on the street front too!!

Monash Uni is more down your way isn't it Bordy ?
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:38 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

Monash Uni is more down your way isn't it Bordy ?

Yeah its not to far away, I'm in Ferntree Gully, overlooking Lysterfield & Rowville.