Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live and work in aus..?

Where to live and work in aus..?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

ian trap 4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live and work in aus..?

I do apologize as im sure this has been covered many times on here,but i couldnt find the right answers in my circumstances.
I am a 50 year old male,been divorced for 15 years and brought up my children.
I am a carpenter by trade.Other skills include,roofing/tiling/screeding/bricklaying/groundwork/painter/decorator.etc etc..
basically..everything that is needed to build a house from start to finish.with exception to plumbing and electrical...which in the uk we cant do anymore.

My children have grown up and have their own family now and i am So much not needed..and am looking to escape what was a country of tradition/pride and honour..but is now a mish mash of cultures and over liberal idealism.

My main questions to begin with(bearing in mind my building qualifications and my age)...is.Where is a good place to find work in field with good enough wages.And where are property prices relatively cheap..
I am not worried about size of town or the night life(lmao)just enough work and money to get by.

Thank you for reading this..im sure i will have many more questions,but this could at least set me off in the right area to start with..
IAN
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live and work in aus..?

Originally Posted by ian trap 4
I do apologize as im sure this has been covered many times on here,but i couldnt find the right answers in my circumstances.
I am a 50 year old male,been divorced for 15 years and brought up my children.
I am a carpenter by trade.Other skills include,roofing/tiling/screeding/bricklaying/groundwork/painter/decorator.etc etc..
basically..everything that is needed to build a house from start to finish.with exception to plumbing and electrical...which in the uk we cant do anymore.

My children have grown up and have their own family now and i am So much not needed..and am looking to escape what was a country of tradition/pride and honour..but is now a mish mash of cultures and over liberal idealism.

My main questions to begin with(bearing in mind my building qualifications and my age)...is.Where is a good place to find work in field with good enough wages.And where are property prices relatively cheap..
I am not worried about size of town or the night life(lmao)just enough work and money to get by.

Thank you for reading this..im sure i will have many more questions,but this could at least set me off in the right area to start with..
IAN

Before you worry about where to live I suggest you find out if you can get a visa.

At your age it is going to be extremely difficult.

G
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

thank you for the reply.
Yes my age was a concern,but in light of the age restriction being lifted to 55 and with my skills i thought maybe i had a chance.
But i couldnt follow it up without knowing where i really wanted to go to.
I am just looking to the first step...
IAN
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for the reply.
Yes my age was a concern,but in light of the age restriction being lifted to 55 and with my skills i thought maybe i had a chance.
But i couldnt follow it up without knowing where i really wanted to go to.
I am just looking to the first step...
IAN
The age limit has not been lifted.

Over the age of 45 will be a real struggle.

You will need an employer sponsor of some sort and, for that, you need a recognisable skill that is in demand and where you meet the DIAC requirements.

G
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Another option for me is to get a work visa..do my time then move on.
Age isnt a barrier to me...i still act and work like a 20 year old.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

It is to DIAC though
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

_Australia will become famous soon enough

Another option for me is to get a work visa..do my time then move on.
Yeah but everyone could say that and there would be no point in an age limit