British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Where to live in WA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/where-live-wa-260973/)

almor Oct 19th 2004 12:12 pm

Where to live in WA?

We (the wife, four kids - aged 6mths to 8 years - oh, and me of course) are moving to WA in November. We don't want to live in Perth as big cities are not our bag. We do want to live somewhere relatively close to the beach (preferably somewhere with good diving!), somewhere semi-rural or small townish (not hideously remote though as I rennovate houses for a living so I need to be within an hour of a decent sized town), somehwere where property is good value for money, and obviously somewhere beautiful.

Now then, as I've just realised that WA is the size of Mars, does anybody have any suggestions as to places that might fit the bill.

We intend to move out, buy a camper and do a two month tour before putting roots down. So, having some idea of what's worth seeing would be really, really helpful.

All the best and thanks in advance

Almor

Siren & Brian Oct 19th 2004 12:23 pm

Re: Where to live in WA?

Geraldton, Bunbury

Simone Oct 19th 2004 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by almor
We (the wife, four kids - aged 6mths to 8 years - oh, and me of course) are moving to WA in November. We don't want to live in Perth as big cities are not our bag. We do want to live somewhere relatively close to the beach (preferably somewhere with good diving!), somewhere semi-rural or small townish (not hideously remote though as I rennovate houses for a living so I need to be within an hour of a decent sized town), somehwere where property is good value for money, and obviously somewhere beautiful.

Now then, as I've just realised that WA is the size of Mars, does anybody have any suggestions as to places that might fit the bill.

We intend to move out, buy a camper and do a two month tour before putting roots down. So, having some idea of what's worth seeing would be really, really helpful.

Almor

From the info you give, I'd suggest somewhere around either Geraldton or Bunbury.

Where do you live now, how close to cities and towns?

I'd say anywhere further north or south are a bit to isolated/remote.... and the towns will become to small....

I don't know about diving.

If you think you'll cope well with heat, and dryness and more bare surroundings I'd suggest Geraldton, which is growing.

If you prefer being a bit closer to things, small quaint(sp?) towns, wineries, green hills, and good beaches, I'd suggest around Bunbury (like Australind/Eaton). Also a bit cooler, though still hot enough!

It's hard giving advice like this....

Good luck!
:)
Simone

Simone Oct 19th 2004 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Siren
Geraldton, Bunbury

lol, why can't I just keep it short and simple!!! :D

almor Oct 19th 2004 12:43 pm

Right now, we live in North Wales - near to Prestatyn in a small village... but we've also lived in (1) Charlotte, North Carolina; (2) Waiheke Island, NZ; (3)SF, USA and (4) Dubai, UAE - and when we were young and solvent - (5) London! So, having seen a bit of the world, we really want to get it right this time as we have to settle to stop our kids from starting to speak Romany. Although, I quite like the idea of touring around in a horsedrawn caravan and roasting hedgehogs for tea!

I'll definitely take a look at the two places you mentioned. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Simone
From the info you give, I'd suggest somewhere around either Geraldton or Bunbury.

Where do you live now, how close to cities and towns?

I'd say anywhere further north or south are a bit to isolated/remote.... and the towns will become to small....

I don't know about diving.

If you think you'll cope well with heat, and dryness and more bare surroundings I'd suggest Geraldton, which is growing.

If you prefer being a bit closer to things, small quaint(sp?) towns, wineries, green hills, and good beaches, I'd suggest around Bunbury (like Australind/Eaton). Also a bit cooler, though still hot enough!

It's hard giving advice like this....

Good luck!
Simone

JayDeee Oct 19th 2004 12:49 pm

Right now, we live in North Wales - near to Prestatyn in a small village... but we've also lived in (1) Charlotte, North Carolina; (2) Waiheke Island, NZ; (3)SF, USA and (4) Dubai, UAE - and when we were young and solvent - (5) London! So, having seen a bit of the world, we really want to get it right this time as we have to settle to stop our kids from starting to speak Romany. Although, I quite like the idea of touring around in a horsedrawn caravan and roasting hedgehogs for tea!

Any questions about Gero drop me a mail my hubby is from there and I am moving there 2moro, I might take a few days to reply as I am leaving work today and fly out to Geraldton 2moro but I will get back as soon as I can

Cheers
JD

Go Banana's !! Oct 19th 2004 1:15 pm

Almor

Geeeeeeze you are, brave doing a two month tour in a camper, with 4 children !!! I take my hat off to you both. :scared: :scared: :scared:

Back to the advice bit:

Perth ain't got that huge city feel so you may be suprised. Don't rule out 30 - 40 min radius of the city.

Good luck

Jill

Go Banana's !! Oct 19th 2004 1:15 pm

Almor

Geeeeeeze you are brave, doing a two month tour in a camper, with 4 children !!! I take my hat off to you both. :scared: :scared: :scared:

Back to the advice bit:

Perth ain't got that huge city feel so you may be suprised. Don't rule out 30 - 40 min radius of the city.

Good luck

Jill

saraliz Oct 19th 2004 1:32 pm

Diving wise, Bunbury isn't too far from the Bussleton Jetty (very colourful dive!) and the Swan wreck.

The Albrohos Islands are just off the coast near Geraldton, and they are supposed to be amazing for seeing sharks (and also have some really old wrecks).

But really, as long as you're near the coast you're pretty much gonna be near good diving in WA! :D

Muzza04 Oct 19th 2004 1:40 pm

Down in the South West Region of WA is good. Margaret River, Busselton, Dunsbourough.etc...

Plenty of small town villages there and amongst plentiful supply of vino :D

A great surfing coast too ...mind the sharks :scared:

Muzza

almor Oct 19th 2004 3:54 pm

Think Pam, my wife, thinks it a little insane too but there you go.. We can always leave the little angels by the roadside!

I noticed from the bits under your name that you lived in Grimsby. Having lived in Immingham (Grimsby :eek: but with oil refineries) I know why you went to Perth!

Almor

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Geeeeeeze you are brave, doing a two month tour in a camper, with 4 children !!! I take my hat off to you both. :scared: :scared: :scared:

Back to the advice bit:

Good luck

Jill

Go Banana's !! Oct 19th 2004 11:33 pm

sorry to correct you, but hubs confused the issue as he is living with his parents in Grimsby now - long long story, but he lived in Immingham up til he was a semi adult. he joins me in a week!!

I'll send you a pm

Cheers Jill

renth Oct 20th 2004 12:34 am

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll love WA as much as I do.

In the meantime, congratulations on being one of the only people on this forum who can spell the word "definitely".

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you can spell "independent" too, which puts you in the top 5% on this forum.

Which is why you must stick around.

Knocker43 Oct 20th 2004 9:28 am

Hi Almor,

We've been in Melbourne for a year and we're heading to Perth in another year. Point is, we're not city people either (Melbourne's way too busy for us) - Perth's just a big town, whatever they might call it - it's what passes for a city in the most empty place this side of the black stump.

johnnie7au Oct 20th 2004 9:43 am

We came out to WA in 88. Best thing we ever did. We live in the outer southern suburbs of Perth in the hills. About 35 mins drive to the beaches. 20 mins to a large shopping mall. Excellent schools! A healthy population of expats and even a British style county pub. Rail and buses are great. Got kangaroos and bushland pretty near to us. Heaven! City living country style. :) Good luck and don't hesite to e-mail me if you want more info.

Johnnie :)