Reload this Page >

Where to live in Sydney?

Where to live in Sydney?

Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Scottee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Sydney?

Hello

My name is Scott and I am hoping to get some advice on where to start off in Sydney. I am relocating with work in Nov / Dec and will be working in the CBD.
I currently commute to London from the leafy sticks of Kent which takes 1.5 hrs door to door. I would like to reduce this to a maximum of 1 hr in Sydney. Could someone please offer me an idea of where I should be looking? We are a family of 4, our children being 3 and 1. We would like a 3 bed minimum, with a pool preferably. The location needs to have good transport links (train / bus) as I do not want to drive to work and plenty of social activities to keep the family amused. Our budget is max $900 per week. Hopefully this criteria is realistic, feel free to confirm or tell me otherwise.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks in advance,
Scott
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:55 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Sydney?

Hi Scottee and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I can't answer your question directly but I know that there will be plenty of replies soonish. It's quite late at night here so you may not get many answers just yet.

Good luck to you,

Alistair.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

We too are heading out that way. I have looked at the Northern beaches which is where my sister lives, Lovely but i think its a bit pricey. Another area we have looked at is Sutherland Shire. I have seen many 4 bed houses with pools from $600+ Alot cheaper and it looks lovely, with trains to the city. My OH is working in the CBD too and i think the commute from there was definatly under an hour. Have you looked at realestate.com?
Sorry I cant give you much more info, I'm not there yet and we too havent made our minds up where exactly we are headed!So i will be interested in what replies you get too!
Emma
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have just gone through the looking for a rental thing and will move into my new place on teh Northern Beaches later today.

There are loads of places that are commutable to the CBD in under an hour. We started out with a budget around yours and were looking in the Pymble, Gordon, Turramurra, St Ives area initially. However the market was a bit slow and we didn't see anything within budget. That is not to say that you won't, because we had been looking for a few months before we got out here and there seemed to be possibilities but unfortunately the timing was against us. Lovely areas, green, leafy and quiet streets and good links into the city.

When we could not find anything in this area we moved out a little bit and looked around in what is known as the Hills District, including Castlehill, Cherrybrook, Bella Vista. You can get a lot more for your money here, possibly a pool but you would need to get the bus in rather than the train, it would still be under an hour though. We liked the areas but just didn't see the right house.

We also looked at somewhere in Norht Ryde (or was it East) and there was a house in Putney we really liked but it had the open house the day before we spotted it and it went. We had seen it from the outside and that was also an area we would have been more than happy to live in.

We have ended up in Collaroy, Northern Beaches. We will have to get the bus into the CBD and it is scheduled to take about 40 minutes or so. We had to increase the budget to get this house though.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:14 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

We live in Sutherland Shire and can wholeheartedly recommend it. It is green and leafy, you should get a pretty nice place for that sort of budget here. There are nice beaches, the Royal National Park which is beautiful, decent shopping, cinema, restaurants etc. We used to live in Yowie Bay, and for my husband to commute from Miranda to Martin Place (CBD) took about 50 minutes. It would be more than this from Cronulla (1hr I think) and less from Sutherland.

We now live in Woronora Heights which is a bit further from the coast at Cronulla but closer to the Royal National Park (which has some beautiful beaches). It is far quieter over this way, and you would get more for your money, but lots of people like being closer to the 'action'! We have two small children (4 and 2) and find that it is a lovely family friendly area.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Scottee is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the posts, looks like I have plenty to go on.

I will have a look at the areas mentioned and hopefully I can find something suitable. I had better get started as my timeframe is pretty tight.

Thanks again to all.

Scott