Reload this Page >

Where to live in Sydney ?

Where to live in Sydney ?

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

michaela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Sydney ?

Hi All

I am in the process of emigrating to sydney and am struggling to find an estate agent who will divulge the nice areas to live from the not so nice areas to live. Can anyone help at all. I dont want to be too far from the CBD as this is where I will be working. And i also dont want to end up in Sydneys slums!!!

Thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

What a question. You really ought to define 'nice'

If you mean detached 4 bed house, large garden, countryside nearby, shopping facitlites on hand, then it's Campbelltown or Penrith for you. They'd have everything you'd want at a price you can afford.

Urban smog, small houses, no proximity to beach, traffic nightmare and ethnic mix - look no further than Balmain,Leichhardt or anywhere else in the inner West.

Peace tranquility, golden beaches lovely - Palm Beach.

English yobs brawling on the streets drunk every weekend. Drugs, bedlam, unpleasant door staff - look no further than Coogee or Bondi.

Of course there's a slant to all the above comments...lpease define 'nice'
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Might be easier to tell you what I dont want......loads of traffic, or smog, dont want yobs hanging in bus shelters, dont want fighting in street.

Do want 3 bed house in quiet suburb, with good access to CBD, doesnt have to be near beach, but has to be in a respectable area. Some local shopping would be nice.

Dont give a monkeys about schools as i dont have bin lids (kids),

Does this help at all????

Michaela
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:47 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

And how much do you want to pay?

would you consider an apartment?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

[I dont really want to pay any more than $300 per week, would prefer a house because i have 2 cats which i am bringing with me.

Michaela
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:57 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

For best transport link head up the North Shore Train Line on a map - there are various stops, start checking about Artarmon and stop about Hornsby

Might not get much house for $300 week, but it is a renters market at the moment so you might be lucky. The further walking distance you are from the train the cheaper it gets

or go further South straight down (not from that side so RichS might be able to help) - I take it you do not want the city at all? Frenches forest out towards the Northern Beaches should find you a house in a quiet area - bus rather than train.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:13 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by michaela
[I dont really want to pay any more than $300 per week, would prefer a house because i have 2 cats which i am bringing with me.

Michaela
$300 a week will get you a 2 bedroom flat with on street parking in Bondi Beach. It is probably 40 mins by bus and train to the CBD or 1 hour to North Sydney.

Try www.domain.com.au or www.realestate.com.au for rent rates. Bronte is nicer and more family orientated but there are not as many rental places there. The closer to the city you go from there the more the rents will go up.

For pets you will have to negotiate with the landlord.

Anyhow I shall remember not to start fights when I get home tonight.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

3 bed house for $300 - I refer you to my earlier answer re Penrith and Campbelltown. You will no way on earth get a 3 bed house in a 'nice' suburb for that money unless it has serious issues.

Looking at units - yes a 2 bedder is possible in Bondi for that money, though I would reckon that would be at the cheap end of the market.
You might look at places like Moore Park/Zetland where loads of new units are hitting the market with scant few folk to fill them up. Transport good and access to town also good.

Other nice spots - Well obviously Maroubra, but stay closer to Anzac Parade and away from the beach for value and transport +. Likewise Kingsford. along Anzac Parade are a host of new unit developments which again have tenant shortages.

Kensington is another spot closer to town worth a look.

further out commute wise, but offering good value - Ramsgate,Brighton,Sans Souci on Botany Bay. Como, Janalli offer a more villagey and bush life feel. All the above considered 'safe' areas, though Brighton does have an influx of 'youths of middle eastern appearance' on hot weekends in the summer. The local council is currently looking at Bondi style measures to move this particular blight to another suburb.

Beware the 'it's a tenants market' type approach. This may only last a short while longer. If landlords are given heftier interest rates, it doesn't take Einstein to work out who will be offsetting them.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:45 am

Originally posted by RichS
3 bed house for $300 - I refer you to my earlier answer re Penrith and Campbelltown. You will no way on earth get a 3 bed house in a 'nice' suburb for that money unless it has serious issues.

Looking at units - yes a 2 bedder is possible in Bondi for that money, though I would reckon that would be at the cheap end of the market.
You might look at places like Moore Park/Zetland where loads of new units are hitting the market with scant few folk to fill them up. Transport good and access to town also good.

Other nice spots - Well obviously Maroubra, but stay closer to Anzac Parade and away from the beach for value and transport +. Likewise Kingsford. along Anzac Parade are a host of new unit developments which again have tenant shortages.

Kensington is another spot closer to town worth a look.

further out commute wise, but offering good value - Ramsgate,Brighton,Sans Souci on Botany Bay. Como, Janalli offer a more villagey and bush life feel. All the above considered 'safe' areas, though Brighton does have an influx of 'youths of middle eastern appearance' on hot weekends in the summer. The local council is currently looking at Bondi style measures to move this particular blight to another suburb.

Beware the 'it's a tenants market' type approach. This may only last a short while longer. If landlords are given heftier interest rates, it doesn't take Einstein to work out who will be offsetting them.
Those units in Moore park will certainly make the unit market more interesting. The ones nearer the city will be ok but the further away ones seem a bit isolated from shops/bars/life unless IKEA is your thing.

A place in the block I live in came up recently for $5 less a week than what we pay. Landlords are currently shit scared of losing tennants and aren't hiking rents. You are correct 300 a week will not get you a new "executive" apartment but look carefully and it will get something decent.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:07 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Where to live in Sydney ?

Hi All

I am in the process of emigrating to sydney and am struggling to find an estate agent who will divulge the nice areas to live from the not so nice areas to live. Can anyone help at all. I dont want to be too far from the CBD as this is where I will be working. And i also dont want to end up in Sydneys slums!!!

Thanks
If you want to check out the St Clair, Erskine Park areas, West Sydney, you could try
Starr Partners and click on their rentals. St Clair and Erskine Park are considered nice areas. About 1 hour by train to CBD, and plenty of change from $300.

Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:36 am

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
If you want to check out the St Clair, Erskine Park areas, West Sydney, you could try
Starr Partners and click on their rentals. St Clair and Erskine Park are considered nice areas. About 1 hour by train to CBD, and plenty of change from $300.
ABC You are shameless.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 5:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
ABC You are shameless.
Yea, I know,

But those two areas are actually pretty good, they are on the other side of the Great Western Highway to the "other" areas.

Some pretty big houses have gone up in the area too, on 400sqm blocks !!

Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:59 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks
try looking at this thread.
we too are also looking for areas near randwick.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/newre...postid=1281786