Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Sydney!!!

Where to live in Sydney!!!

Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default Where to live in Sydney!!!

Hi there,

I have secured a job teaching at a school in Sydney. The school is near Darlinghurst and I will need to catch a train initially to and from work. Can anyone advise on any decent and not too expensive areas to live? I need a minimum of two bedrooms and don't really want to spend more than an hour travelling each way door to door. Any areas to definitely avoid. It is difficult to know which areas are dodgy so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I would like to live somewhere not too built up.

Many thanks

Mrs Morgan
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in Sydney!!!

Originally posted by piers_morgan
Hi there,

I have secured a job teaching at a school in Sydney. The school is near Darlinghurst and I will need to catch a train initially to and from work. Can anyone advise on any decent and not too expensive areas to live? I need a minimum of two bedrooms and don't really want to spend more than an hour travelling each way door to door. Any areas to definitely avoid. It is difficult to know which areas are dodgy so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I would like to live somewhere not too built up.

Many thanks

Mrs Morgan
Budget please. Darlinghurst is near Kings X station although some of it is near Museum. www.131500.com.au for public transport planning and www.realestate.com.au for a property website that return results in your price range.

Darlinghurst is expensive and still has some of the dregs of the heroin and prostitution insustries hanging around although it is far better now than when I lived there in 1998.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Have a look at Lane Cove, Chattswood, Manly, Paddington, Bronte (Waverley), Rose Bay (can be expensive), Coogee, Glebe and someone I know liked Newtown but dont know it personally.

Might be a start without knowing your budget and easy commuting distance to Darlinghurst.

Best of luck
Stay Safe
Mercedes.

Originally posted by piers_morgan
Hi there,

Many thanks

Mrs Morgan
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:19 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

if your budget would stretch to it, try balmoral - absolute heaven!!

sue
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:23 pm

Originally posted by Mercedes
Hi there

Have a look at Lane Cove, Chattswood, Manly, Paddington, Bronte (Waverley), Rose Bay (can be expensive), Coogee, Glebe and someone I know liked Newtown but dont know it personally.

Might be a start without knowing your budget and easy commuting distance to Darlinghurst.

Best of luck
Stay Safe
Mercedes.
Out of the above Coogee, Rose Bay, Bronte, Glebe and Paddington are all reasonably near. The others are not that near. Newtown is a gentrifying slum stuck in the heat of the inner west. Good place for pubs and restaurants but like Darlinghurst it is crime prone.

Lane Cove, Chatswood and Manly are on the North side of the Harbour so travelling is difficult.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Trains from Lane Cove and Chattswood straight into the city about a 30 min train ride. Not sure about the buses. A colleague of mine used to commute everyday from Manly via Ferries to the City.

M.

Originally posted by bondipom
Out of the above Coogee, Rose Bay, Bronte, Glebe and Paddington are all reasonably near. The others are not that near. Newtown is a gentrifying slum stuck in the heat of the inner west. Good place for pubs and restaurants but like Darlinghurst it is crime prone.

Lane Cove, Chatswood and Manly are on the North side of the Harbour so travelling is difficult.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:25 am

Originally posted by Mercedes
Trains from Lane Cove and Chattswood straight into the city about a 30 min train ride. Not sure about the buses. A colleague of mine used to commute everyday from Manly via Ferries to the City.

M.
Yep then change at Town Hall (wait 10 mins) and 5 mins to Kings X and then a walk. Manly ferries are great but a storm can cancel them. Then get a Bondi Bus/Bronte bus from Circular Quay to Darlinghurst.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

Thanks for your help. Our budget will be about 350 max per week and hopefully will get a two-bedroom. Any idea how much I should put aside for utility bills each month.

My take home salary will be just over 3000 dollars so not really sure how much rent we can comfortably afford. Hubby doesn't have a job yet so I don't want to stretch myself. Hence why I ask about utility costs.

By the way, the nearest station to my job is Kings Cross so don't mind living out of the city a bit so long as the commuting time is reasonable.

What is Campsie like? Is it a dump? We don't necessarily want somewhere in a glam area just somewhere spacious and safe. What will the rental agencies require apart from money? We have job and character refs plus I have my contract. Couldn't get bank refs as Barclays only give them via a third party. Got all bank statements though plus one fro Aussie account. Any decent agencies around Bronte, Bondi, Glebe, Paddington etc???

As you can tell, I am getting rather apprehensive now about where we are going to live particularly in view of the fact that I start work a week tomorrow.

Any advice /help will be invaluable.

Many thanks

Mrs Piers