Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Queensland - so confused...

Where to live in Queensland - so confused...

Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:24 am
Just Joined

gilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant future
Default Where to live in Queensland - so confused...

I have spent hours on this site reading through and getting information on areas and alsorts of other information such a great site.. But still confused...

Not sure if the place I am looking for will exist... I would like to be near the sunshine coast but not on it as so expensive but thats where my work will be mainly... I have a housekeeping service (cleaning, management etc) here in Gloucestershire and deal solely with holiday lets and second homes and I am hoping to transfer out there. Any thoughts of this will be welcome. If you think it will work etc.

But!!!!!!!!!!! I have 2 children so they are main priorty, I would love somewhere that has a rural feel about it (but not too in the sticks) but has a great school, great facilities, I have two children who are sports mad and this is one of the reasons we are moving so need a school that caters for this and clubs near.

I really could not live on an estate or anything like that all built up I might just as well go to Spain!!!... Would love a community feel about a place.

Does anywhere like this exist.. Really appreciate your advice..
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Queensland - so confused...

Hi Gilly,

I'm not sure about realestate prices but I'm sure some of the places in the Sunshine Coast hinterland will be much cheaper than the coast itself. Places like Forest Glen, Palmwoods, maybe even Nambour might offer what you are looking for. These are fairly rural, Nambour is more of a country town than rural I suppose and not for everyone but could be what you're after.

I have friends who live in Forest Glen and their 3 kids are involved in so many different sports I've lost count.

B
Old Oct 15th 2007, 11:57 am
Just Joined

gilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant futuregilly43 has a brilliant future

Thank you for this information... Its not only about price, I really do not mind paying more for a good area and schools but I suspect if you live right on the coast its really busy or am I wrong? I have seen Mountain Creek mentioned a few times and how great the school is there but it looks very built up but again could be wrong.. Thats why I am so confused, it makes you want to forget it at times... Its just when we do come over for a look we are limited to time and children slowing us down...
Old Oct 15th 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Brockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant futureBrockies has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gilly43
Thank you for this information... Its not only about price, I really do not mind paying more for a good area and schools but I suspect if you live right on the coast its really busy or am I wrong? I have seen Mountain Creek mentioned a few times and how great the school is there but it looks very built up but again could be wrong.. Thats why I am so confused, it makes you want to forget it at times... Its just when we do come over for a look we are limited to time and children slowing us down...

We have seen Mountain Creek and the school this is also a expensive place to stay for the school you have to live in area as it is catchment. We have decided to go for Kawana Waters which is also fairly expensive but we liked the area.. Good luck on finding somewhere
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

I have spent hours on this site reading through and getting information on areas and alsorts of other information such a great site.. But still confused...

Not sure if the place I am looking for will exist... I would like to be near the sunshine coast but not on it as so expensive but thats where my work will be mainly... I have a housekeeping service (cleaning, management etc) here in Gloucestershire and deal solely with holiday lets and second homes and I am hoping to transfer out there. Any thoughts of this will be welcome. If you think it will work etc.

But!!!!!!!!!!! I have 2 children so they are main priorty, I would love somewhere that has a rural feel about it (but not too in the sticks) but has a great school, great facilities, I have two children who are sports mad and this is one of the reasons we are moving so need a school that caters for this and clubs near.

I really could not live on an estate or anything like that all built up I might just as well go to Spain!!!... Would love a community feel about a place.

Does anywhere like this exist.. Really appreciate your advice..
My best advice is dont listen to anyone else(except me LOL)

Come and rent for m6 months to a year as you will be able to afford that. Rent a holiday let in maroochydore for a couple of weeks and get a car and have a really good look about the place. Maroochy has an abundance of shops and places to eat and great beaches. cIts a good starter place and not too far from anywhere sunshine coast wise. If you fly into brisbane you can even get a cheap flight straigh up to sunny coast airport a few miles out of maroochy for about 20 quid one way from www.webjet.com.au

No one knows what you want more than you.

just take your time at the end of the day another £100 for an extra week of looking is worth every penny for the righ place. We waited another 10 days for someone to move out when we were desperate to find a place after 3 weeks and we just stasyed on in the rental as we would be paying rent where ever we were.

best of luck. pm cathnpaul ,she lives around that area and has kids in mountain creek school and has family there so she is pretty useful to ask and really helpful, tell her al says hi

al
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Problem is my children, its going to a bigger enough move without moving them from one to school to another if we find something better... So I really need to have some idea before I go out there and hopefully narrow down the areas, we will rent to begin with but alot of school you have to be in the zone area, so kids school is going to pretty much decide where we are going to live..
Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is my children, its going to a bigger enough move without moving them from one to school to another if we find something better... So I really need to have some idea before I go out there and hopefully narrow down the areas, we will rent to begin with but alot of school you have to be in the zone area, so kids school is going to pretty much decide where we are going to live..
I would agree 100% with what AL suggested to you, when you are in short term rental, you cant register your children at school anyway, most school requires long term rental agreement before they take your children, especially if the school has catchment area, this is what happened to us in SA, we had to take our 12 month rental contract before they would even let us through the door.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 7:43 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I would agree 100% with what AL suggested to you, when you are in short term rental, you cant register your children at school anyway, most school requires long term rental agreement before they take your children, especially if the school has catchment area, this is what happened to us in SA, we had to take our 12 month rental contract before they would even let us through the door.
12 month contract! Would they not accept a shorter one?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
I dont know how it is with other state, but the 2 school in SA where we register our children were well sort after & they both wanted 12 months rental contract plus a utility bill, in fact everybody knew about the condition with schooling around where we live, the estate agents told us I better get your contract sorted out fast.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:06 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I dont know how it is with other state, but the 2 school in SA where we register our children were well sort after & they both wanted 12 months rental contract plus a utility bill, in fact everybody knew about the condition with schooling around where we live, the estate agents told us I better get your contract sorted out fast.
Blimey!
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:52 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

In Queensland (well pac pines to be specific) we only took a 6 month contract and son was enrolled at school no probs! They also wanted passports with visas in to

Axx
Old Oct 15th 2007, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't asked how long our rental was for, nor a utility bill
Old Oct 16th 2007, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by acbh2
In Queensland (well pac pines to be specific) we only took a 6 month contract and son was enrolled at school no probs! They also wanted passports with visas in to

Axx
Originally Posted by curly
We weren't asked how long our rental was for, nor a utility bill
phew huge sigh of relief
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

depends when you come compared to if there are holidays at school at that time. Surely you can enrol them when you have settled?

Even if they go in half way though a year they will still bve far more advanced than aussie kids so im lead to believe from other posters in the past(dont shoot the messenger on this one)

Al
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you.... I think what we are probably going to do is let kids finish the school year in July (if everything works out) and then come and maybe start them in January so gives us plenty of time to sort everything out... Appreciate your advice and I think you are right.... So will bear in mind...

Another question - is it quite easy to find rentals if you have 2 dogs??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.