Reload this Page >

Where to live in Queensland nr Brisbane

Where to live in Queensland nr Brisbane

Old Jan 24th 2019, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Queensland nr Brisbane

Hey Guys
Just got my visa to live in OZ - YAY! we want to live near Brisbane. I'm hoping to get work in the city so looking for: Somewhere unlikely to flood - commutable into Brisbane, train/car, no more than 45 mins maybe: Access to the coast. Property rent is middle of the range, i pay £1100 pcm now in London. Looking for something fairly quite/leafy/not ton of kids/, cycle paths, some nature/parks.
Ideas so far: Redhill, Enoggera and maybe Cleveland. There are others such as Hendra and surrounds but the potential flooding concerns me - Also, i hear driving into the city from the north is easier than the south as there's probably less likeliness of needing to cross the river, which can be congested. Any ideas would be very much appreciated as this is hurting my brain.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Queensland nr Brisbane

There are loads of lovely suburbs to choose from. Not near tons of kids?! That's a hard one. Be prepared to see children here everywhere - it is a capital city after all with fantastic family facilities! There are thousands of kids in Brisbane and many people are 'outdoor people' here judging by the amount of runners, walkers, families utilising the beautiful parks. It might be easier (and a heck of a lot cheaper) to travel into the CBD by train or bus rather than drive. Parking is pretty expensive in the city centre.

I live South and have lived in two different suburbs. Are you looking to buy immediately? If not, I would take time and get to know the areas and live in a few different places. I love the suburbs along the coast (Manly etc) but it's a slog to commute. Cleveland has some lovely parts but it it really far away from the CBD. I personally wouldn't live in Redhill or Enoggera, but that is just a personal preference of mine. I really like Highgate Hill, Yeronga, Greenslopes, Manly (as mentioned), Tennyson, parts of East Brisbane, Wellington Point, Wynnum, Raby Bay.

Have a look through realestate.com.au and put in your filters and take it from there. You won't be able to secure a property without viewing it first (which is really really good idea anyway) so suggest you book airbnb or hotel for the first 3-4 weeks.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 7:39 am
Just Joined

elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Still Game
Big thanks for the reply and some great advice. i have chosen the Sandgate area, north of Brisbane, 30 min commute but by the sea and a friendly vibe. having come from London, this is a big attraction and a place where i can come home and forget about work and the city. It seems like an easier commute rather than from the south and again London is an absolute nightmare when travelling through the city. Good advice re the renting, ill certainly take it.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elbow271
Hey Still Game
Big thanks for the reply and some great advice. i have chosen the Sandgate area, north of Brisbane, 30 min commute but by the sea and a friendly vibe. having come from London, this is a big attraction and a place where i can come home and forget about work and the city. It seems like an easier commute rather than from the south and again London is an absolute nightmare when travelling through the city. Good advice re the renting, ill certainly take it.
Great. Good luck with the move!
Old Feb 8th 2019, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Gwat5on is an unknown quantity at this point

My preference is Northside
Old Feb 8th 2019, 1:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gwat5on
My preference is Northside
Welcome to BE.
I also am a Northsider; anywhere on particular you are thinking of? I'm in WIndsor, so not far out and on good transport links, but buying is quite expensive I don't commute into the city, but on balance from what colleagues tell me it is easier getting in from north rather than souty. The vast majority of people though wouldn't drive, its bus or train due to the cost of parking.

OP, have you looked at the Redcliffe Peninsula at all - since the new trainline opened access to the city from there is much easier.