Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Queensland

Where to live in Queensland

Old Mar 20th 2018, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Happybunny44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in Queensland

Hi! I’m hoping to move to Queensland later in the year and wanted some opinions on where to move to. A bit of background, I’m a single 35 year old GP currently living in London. I’m a bit over living in a big city and am ready for a change. I’ve been offered 3 different jobs in very similar practices so I’m choosing by location. One is just north of Gold Coast, one in north west Brisbane and the final is between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast. I’ve been to Australia before and am aware that areas outside the city can be very quiet. I don’t know anyone in Australia so will be completely alone when I move so i want to be somewhere that’s quite social so I can meet some new people, but that’s also not too frantic. I’m basically worried that I’ll be lonely and bored on the coast, but I’m worried about moving from one city to another. Help!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 6:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Queensland

Originally Posted by Happybunny44
Hi! I’m hoping to move to Queensland later in the year and wanted some opinions on where to move to. A bit of background, I’m a single 35 year old GP currently living in London. I’m a bit over living in a big city and am ready for a change. I’ve been offered 3 different jobs in very similar practices so I’m choosing by location. One is just north of Gold Coast, one in north west Brisbane and the final is between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast. I’ve been to Australia before and am aware that areas outside the city can be very quiet. I don’t know anyone in Australia so will be completely alone when I move so i want to be somewhere that’s quite social so I can meet some new people, but that’s also not too frantic. I’m basically worried that I’ll be lonely and bored on the coast, but I’m worried about moving from one city to another. Help!
I haven't lived in Queensland so can't help you there, but a good starting point would be to look at the websites of the local government areas the practices are based in. This will give you information such as the population and facilities of each area. Best of luck.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be concerned about Brisbane being 'too frantic'. It isn't. However, you may also not live in the same place/suburb as you work. So if work could be 'just north of Gold Coast' then you could live on the coast itself somewhere lively. Or in Brisbane.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 2:51 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

'Between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast' there could be a couple of areas I would not want to work in personally - I would avoid Caboolture, Morayfield and Deception Bay. There are of course nice areas in each of those suburbs/areas but also quite a lot of low socio-economic areas and some of the associated issues that can go hand in hand.

Of course, you get these issues everywhere but if you let us know which suburbs specifically you have been offered work in we might be able to give better advice about suburbs to live in that have a reasonable commute as well as access to thing that are important to you (do you like beaches, parks, mountain biking?!!).

Also, if I were a GP, I would not want to work in a large Bulk Billing Practice (impossible to build relationships with clients, short consults, pressure to do as many consults per hour as possible etc.) so I hope you know what type of practices have offered you positions.

Best of luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

North of the Gold Coast is where? Beenleigh/Logan? Personally I wouldn't want to live up there but many do so the area must have something. Do you want to live in the same suburb as you work or are you prepared for a commute, if so how much of one. Do you 'need' the ocean close or hinterland? What do you do in your time off - check out places you can be close to your hobbies. When you say social do you mean clubbing or restaurants/pubs etc?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:51 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Byron Bay. Close to Gold Coast. Technically NSW so it’s actually better.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Byron Bay. Close to Gold Coast. Technically NSW so it’s actually better.
Technically?? the nearest job is north GC, he'd be looking at a minimum two hour commute each way and Byron is fine for a visit but to live there?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 11:24 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Technically?? the nearest job is north GC, he'd be looking at a minimum two hour commute each way and Byron is fine for a visit but to live there?
or she - being a GP isn't gender specific
Old Mar 24th 2018, 11:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
or she - being a GP isn't gender specific
My mistake. Sorry if I've changed your gender OP.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 12:12 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

They can be neighbours with the Hemsworths.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 12:13 am
Daffyd Duck

My mistake. Sorry if I've changed your gender OP.
You must have been a surgeon in thailand.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 12:15 am
Daffyd Duck

Brisbane property market is not as crazy as Mel or Syd. Some cheap but good property choices to be had.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

For a large city, Brisbane, in my experience of living here since mid last year, is anything but frantic! Huge amount to do, gorgeous South Bank area and lovely green spaces. Very hot and humid Dec - Feb and a few days in March. I think the warm weather 'slows' people down.

We live South of the CBD and there are some lovely suburbs. We knew no-one in Brisbane but through my OH's job and me getting out and about we've met lots of people. I find people very laid back and friendly (laid back part a bit of a nuisance when it comes to tradies IME!). Where we live you can do a gorgeous river walk, play sport, run, walk etc.. in the large green spaces, it has a large supermarket nearby and smaller shops. It's lively but only in the sense of people out and about doing sporty things or visiting cafes. Lots of trees and loads of birds/possums! It's only a 15 minute max train ride to the CBD. If this is somewhere that you might be interested in, PM me and I'll let you know the suburb.

I love the Sunshine Coast (not the Gold Coast). I have looked into the possibility of moving to the SC and commuting to Brisbane however it's not very straightforward and lengthy.

Last edited by Still Game; Mar 26th 2018 at 1:40 am.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Happybunny44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Thanks so much for the replies and the free sex change... I am female, or was last time I checked!
Sorry, I realise how unspecific in terms of location I’ve been. So, North area I’ve been offered Burpengary/ Caboolture.South I’ve been offered Oxenford, but I’m not as keen on the actual job there. Can I commute from SC to Burpengary? I don’t want to live where I work- not a great thing in my job, especially in small communities.
Otherwise, I’d like to live close to the beach. I love being outside and walking- my only friend will be my dog to start off with! I row too. I’m just very nervous about the move as it’s a 2 year contract and a big commitment to live somewhere I’m lonely. Saying that London is probably the loneliest place on Earth at times! I’d like to meet new friends and hopefully start a relationship too so want to live somewhere that could happen!
Old Mar 30th 2018, 6:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happybunny44
Hi! Thanks so much for the replies and the free sex change... I am female, or was last time I checked!
Sorry, I realise how unspecific in terms of location I’ve been. So, North area I’ve been offered Burpengary/ Caboolture.South I’ve been offered Oxenford, but I’m not as keen on the actual job there. Can I commute from SC to Burpengary? I don’t want to live where I work- not a great thing in my job, especially in small communities.
Otherwise, I’d like to live close to the beach. I love being outside and walking- my only friend will be my dog to start off with! I row too. I’m just very nervous about the move as it’s a 2 year contract and a big commitment to live somewhere I’m lonely. Saying that London is probably the loneliest place on Earth at times! I’d like to meet new friends and hopefully start a relationship too so want to live somewhere that could happen!
There's quite a few members in QLD near Brisbane / SC / GC areas. We have a group map here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/barbi...ers-oz-829100/ and there's usually a few meet-ups arranged through the year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.