Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to live in queensland

where to live in queensland

Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default where to live in queensland

Struggling on where to finally settle in Queensland in relation to regions as it all looks appealing. hoping for some help and advice. Somewhere to keep two children happy especially a sport mad son who likes football and rugby. somewhere that is not too expensive to live as I havenet won the lottery yet. A place where it doesnt rain as much as UK. Far North was appealing but dont think I would enjoy cyclones and rainy season. Somewhere to keep the wife happy who loves to shop and somewhere that is not too busy as never lived in a city.
As you can see I am not asking much. all help and advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to live in queensland

Originally Posted by garyp
Struggling on where to finally settle in Queensland in relation to regions as it all looks appealing. hoping for some help and advice. Somewhere to keep two children happy especially a sport mad son who likes football and rugby. somewhere that is not too expensive to live as I havenet won the lottery yet. A place where it doesnt rain as much as UK. Far North was appealing but dont think I would enjoy cyclones and rainy season. Somewhere to keep the wife happy who loves to shop and somewhere that is not too busy as never lived in a city.
Unless you're in the mines, Brisbane and surrounds, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

well I live in Wales but definately not going into the mines. Hopefully the Ambulance Service where the popular places may be taken. may have to venture North. thanks for reply anyway.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:57 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds to me like you'd have to be within easy reach of Brisbane, so yes, Brisbane, GC or Sunshine Coast. Even if you end up in Brisbane, I wouldn't worry about living in the city, cos even 5kms out of the CBD it doesn't have a city feel to it.

BTW anywhere in coastal Qld gets a lot more rain than the UK, but probably far less rainy days. Getting 50mm in a day is a fairly regular occurence (well over the last year anyway) - 700mm+ in one day on the Sunshine Coast last year!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:24 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like you may like Bundaburg, Harvey bay, Yepoon, all central Queensland areas.

Im in Tannum sands which is south of Gladstone. Tannum is lovely and has everything we need although Gladstone is a bit more industrial than the other places mentioned i dont think you would have trouble getting work.

Its great to be able to afford to live right on the beach and its possible once away from GC/SC and a great place for kids too
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:30 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
sounds like you may like Bundaburg, Harvey bay, Yepoon, all central Queensland areas.

Im in Tannum sands which is south of Gladstone. Tannum is lovely and has everything we need although Gladstone is a bit more industrial than the other places mentioned i dont think you would have trouble getting work.

Its great to be able to afford to live right on the beach and its possible once away from GC/SC and a great place for kids too
Don't go SC, GC, Brissie...it's full of Brits!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi have a look at jimboomba/beaudesert about 40 min from brisbane & 40mins from the coast gary
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:18 am
ABCDiamond

The Redlands area, just east of Brisbane.

Easy to get into Brisbane City. Only 1 hour drive from the furthest point, and maybe 20 minutes from the closest bit to Brisbane.

Plenty of Local shops.

We do get more rain than the UK, but mainly overnight, or some very heavy downpours on a number of days each year. We actually like it when it rains here

Sport ? In my area almost every kid does one sport or another, there is almost always something going on.

If the boys like soccer... http://www.redlandsunited.com.au/

Old Sep 7th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

well I live in Wales but definately not going into the mines. Hopefully the Ambulance Service where the popular places may be taken. may have to venture North. thanks for reply anyway.
We're from Wales and we moved to Gympie. The countryside around here does remind me of Wales but without the miserable weather!! Gympie is not everyones cup of tea but we love it!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

thats so funny we went on a holiday north of gimpy i had to stop the car as i thought ive been to this place before, then after reading your post it came to me it was bala in wales think we should name it new north wales gary
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by calNgary
thats so funny we went on a holiday north of gimpy i had to stop the car as i thought ive been to this place before, then after reading your post it came to me it was bala in wales think we should name it new north wales gary
Excellent idea! I might go and get my flag out!!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:49 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We do get more rain than the UK, but mainly overnight, or some very heavy downpours on a number of days each year. We actually like it when it rains here
http://www.redlandsunited.com.au/
Hi mate, long time no see. Are you joking about the rain or do you live in a secret wet zone in Bayside yet undiscovered by everyone else ?
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks for comments everyone. out of brisbane area probably better for me due to cost of housing
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Hi garyp,
Got to agree with ABCDiamond we live on Bayside and love the area, close to waters edge, and easy access to everything. Advice would be to have a good look around before you decide to settle, good luck with your search

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 7th 2008 at 10:39 am. Reason: You can put a link to your website in your signature, please don't include it in the posts themselves
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
Hi mate, long time no see. Are you joking about the rain or do you live in a secret wet zone in Bayside yet undiscovered by everyone else ?
Hi Centurion, it sure has been a while... hope all is well with you.

We normally have more rain than the UK.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/so...victoria-point

66 days of rain in 2008 so far, with 865.2mm in last 8 months

2007 gave us 620.6mm over 64 days, in the same 8 month period, Jan 1 to Sept 7.

Eastbourne UK Weather Station (full year figures)
2005 613.6mm
2006 738.2mm
2007 729.9mm
3 yr ave 693.9mm for 12 months

Our area has more rain "on average" than Eastbourne, (closest I can see to my old area.)

It doesn't feel like it though, as it doesn't rain as often as it did in UK.