Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Perth?

Wikiposts

Where to live in Perth?

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Perth?

Originally Posted by frewy
Hi my name is Sue. My husband and I are hoping to emigrate to Perth towards the end of the year - house sale and visa dependant!
I am a nurse hoping to work at the Royal Perth. My husband is a welder with no fixed area to work. We was wondering if anyone could give us some advice on areas to live that are accessible to RPH as well as good engineering companies.
We look forward to hearing from you
Sue & Gordon
HI, I am an ex tyne shipyard welder,long out of the game and do inspection now.Perth is split into north and south of the river with each one usually deriding the other. At the moment WA has a severe shortage of welders due to the mining/oil industries really taking off .A lot of companies import labour from the Phillipines,korea etc at the moment. Should your husband be coded for TIG especially on stainless/super duplex etc then he can expect around $50 per hour on a sub contract basis.Normal wage would be $24-26 per hour for mig,flux cored on heavy structural steel /mining rebuilds etc.THe boom has been going for 5 yrs and should all the work come off then another 5 yrs would be on offer (which takes me past retirement YIPPEE).The economy is boom amd bust but there is usually work,the only bad spell in the 27 yrs I have been here was1998- 2001 when there was nothing. I live south of the river so for RPH and some factories then a riverside suburb such as Maylands,Victoria Park,Rivervale would give both of you access to work and an easy pushbike ride to work for exercise.The factory suburbs would be Welshpool,Belmont but the heavy industry areas of henderson and Kwinana would be a 40 minute drive down the freeway.If he can mig weld aluminium then Austal ships would be the place to go(check them out on line)low wages but a long run of work and a chance to work in the US for them at their US shipyard on a 2 yr contract .Good Luck
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:39 am
lichfield jock

frewy will become famous soon enoughfrewy will become famous soon enough

tiawamutu thanks
its areas where there are industrial sites that we are looking for as a guide for hubbys work as to know milage we would have to travel each day?
are you staying in nursing when you arrive in perth ? which hospital
Hi Yes I want to stay in the Critical care field and possible organ donation / transplantation as these are my fields. What about you?

Sue
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:37 am
lichfield jock

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
HI, I am an ex tyne shipyard welder,long out of the game and do inspection now.Perth is split into north and south of the river with each one usually deriding the other. At the moment WA has a severe shortage of welders due to the mining/oil industries really taking off .A lot of companies import labour from the Phillipines,korea etc at the moment. Should your husband be coded for TIG especially on stainless/super duplex etc then he can expect around $50 per hour on a sub contract basis.Normal wage would be $24-26 per hour for mig,flux cored on heavy structural steel /mining rebuilds etc.THe boom has been going for 5 yrs and should all the work come off then another 5 yrs would be on offer (which takes me past retirement YIPPEE).The economy is boom amd bust but there is usually work,the only bad spell in the 27 yrs I have been here was1998- 2001 when there was nothing. I live south of the river so for RPH and some factories then a riverside suburb such as Maylands,Victoria Park,Rivervale would give both of you access to work and an easy pushbike ride to work for exercise.The factory suburbs would be Welshpool,Belmont but the heavy industry areas of henderson and Kwinana would be a 40 minute drive down the freeway.If he can mig weld aluminium then Austal ships would be the place to go(check them out on line)low wages but a long run of work and a chance to work in the US for them at their US shipyard on a 2 yr contract .Good Luck
Thanks for the advice. At least we now have some areas to look at. My husband is hoping to contact some places before we depart UK. Good to know rates of pay are as good as UK - as we had been told that the pay would be less.
Thanks once again and if you think of any good companies let us know.
Sue
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:38 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We are looking at West Leederfield.

It seems to have lots of chef/cook opportunities for my husband and property is reasonable for rentals.

Anyone know what it's like or know of any better places for chefs?

Oh yes, if anyone has an idea of water/utility rates for that area, that would be good.

Cheers.
You are coming to Perth then Sam! Good choice! It will be great to see you again. Now I have started work I don't get on here as often as I would like so I didn't realise you were making the right choice and coming to the best place on earth .

Abdel will definitely find work easily in that part of town. And as you guys are from the Smoke it would probably suit you better being near the middle of the city than out here in the Northern suburbs with most of us Poms in Stepford .

For the OP's benefit too - ECU has a hospital on campus in Joondalup if you want to come North. The fact that there are so many poms up here could be seen as a blessing or curse but it will defintely make it easier to make new friends when you arrive.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:56 pm
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Hi my name is Sue. My husband and I are hoping to emigrate to Perth towards the end of the year - house sale and visa dependant!
I am a nurse hoping to work at the Royal Perth. My husband is a welder with no fixed area to work. We was wondering if anyone could give us some advice on areas to live that are accessible to RPH as well as good engineering companies.
Sue & Gordon
Hi,
the main industrial areas in Perth where a welder is likely to find lots of suitable companies are Kwinana, Naval Base, Canning Vale, Balga/Malaga, Osbourne Park, Midland and Fremantle.

On the basis of that there is one suburb which is smack in the middle of that circle and that's Victoria Park. Its a lovely suburb and has easy public transport access to RPH. The block sizes can sometimes be a bit small (<450sqm) but there are lots of really nice houses from federation to modern and has a good cafe strip as well.

Rhia
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where to live in Perth?

Sue & Gordon
Hi

Oldham couple , wife a registered childs nurse.
Hopefully Perth bound

Dave/ Wendy
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:45 am
lichfield jock

Originally Posted by mindblower
Hi

Oldham couple , wife a registered childs nurse.
Hopefully Perth bound

Dave/ Wendy
Hi We live stockport not far from Oldham, are you going to the meet?

Sue & Gordon