Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Perth?

Where to live in Perth?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:43 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Question Where to live in Perth?

We're trying to get our visas and move out to Perth as soon as we get them - I'm guessing it will take around 9 months from now (possibly more) to get a 136 MODL visa. Employment shouldnt be a problem either as we're in the minerals trade (along with every other migrant?!).

I'm trying to find out how much a house might cost, but of course it is location dependant so, I'll post a list of our "wants"/"needs" and would very much appreciate your thoughts / ideas / help / suggestions.
  • maximum 30-40 minute door to door commute into city centre
  • we'll be taking a newborn, so must be near to good daycare & then primary school
  • family-safe environment
  • does NOT need to be near a river or the sea (!) but if it is, then that is ok too
  • both of us would be working so should have easy access to good amenities (shops), as well as local restaurants, pubs etc so we can still have a social life
  • minimum would be 3+1 detached house with a garden (rather than a courtyard)
  • not fussed if it is NOR or SOR
  • not on / in an old swamp!
  • maximum house price $500,000

any ideas?!

mwah xxx
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:07 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Perth?

30 looks & no replies?

is this a difficult question? or has it been asked so many times before that no-one wants to answer?

am I being unrealistic in price?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:23 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
We're trying to get our visas and move out to Perth as soon as we get them - I'm guessing it will take around 9 months from now (possibly more) to get a 136 MODL visa. Employment shouldnt be a problem either as we're in the minerals trade (along with every other migrant?!).

I'm trying to find out how much a house might cost, but of course it is location dependant so, I'll post a list of our "wants"/"needs" and would very much appreciate your thoughts / ideas / help / suggestions.
  • we'll be taking a newborn, so must be near to good daycare & then primary school
  • does NOT need to be near a river or the sea (!) but if it is, then that is ok too
  • both of us would be working so should have easy access to good amenities (shops), as well as local restaurants, pubs etc so we can still have a social life

any ideas?!

mwah xxx
Here are some links to keep you going Loads of info on the aussiemove site .... happy hunting

http://www.reiwa.com.au/Nav/Nav-Publ...E99B551D643A96

http://www.aussiemove.com/suburb7.htm

http://www.firstnationalwa.com/frame.htm
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:25 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

any ideas?!

mwah xxx
good Luck
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:35 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Where to live in Perth?

any ideas?!

mwah xxx
www.realestate.com.au

And click here for Perth suburb profiles.

Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:39 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I will be looking at:

Fremantle, south Fremantle, East Fremantle, white gum valley, beaconsfield - places like that.

Fremantle will be slightly higher in property prices, but it's close to shops....can't help with the kids stuff just yet.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

We are moving to Perth in Jan/Feb, have 2 daughters aged 8 & 5 and hubby is working in CBD so our requirements are pretty similar to yours. We have been looking NOR at Currambine and the surrounding suburbs ie. Iluka/Joondalup etc. and also Hillary's. It's difficult to imagine any area without actually seeing it though. I'm going to Perth on Friday to have a look around so I'll report back my opinions on the different areas .

Good luck in your search.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:25 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Hilary's is quite nice, not sure how expensive it is to live there though.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Where to live in Perth?

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
We are moving to Perth in Jan/Feb, have 2 daughters aged 8 & 5 and hubby is working in CBD so our requirements are pretty similar to yours. We have been looking NOR at Currambine and the surrounding suburbs ie. Iluka/Joondalup etc. and also Hillary's. It's difficult to imagine any area without actually seeing it though. I'm going to Perth on Friday to have a look around so I'll report back my opinions on the different areas .

Good luck in your search.
hi
we are going out next year to validate visas and want to move to perth so any info you come back with will be great.hope all goes well.
good luck neil
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Don't forget, Perth is not as big as you think. I am aiming for the Applecross/Booragoon/Alfred Cove area. Not very far to CBD/river or coast(Freo) Can't help with things to do with children, but look at realestate.com.au for property, or REIWA online, as you can look at various statistics about each individual suburb, such as median house prices, age group etc. Do lots of searches on google Australia about social life/schools etc Good Luck! I am there first week Jan. Yippeee!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:59 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

For $500,000 you will be able to get what you want very easily. Its going to come down to a personal choice of suburb. Pretty much any Northern suburb, just not on the beach
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:02 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

With a requirement of 30-40 mins door to door then I think the OP needs to aim somewhere like Duncraig (if they opt for North). We stayed there for 3 weeks on arrival and it took us 5-10 mins drive to Warwick station (depending on luck with the lights) plus 15 mins on the train then 5-10 mins across town to wherever he gets work. $500,000 is ample to get something decent and it is a mature / good area with three shopping centres and loads of other facilities.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 8:39 am
womble

thanks folks

we've been to Perth a few times now as it's "only" 5 hours flight from us here in SEA and direct as well - we go there, do loads of shopping and ship loads of cr*p back with us!

we've stayed in Fremantle, East Fremantle, Subiaco (oh my god that place is expensive!), and Inglewood, but all the times either in hotels or with friends without kids so whilst we've got a feel for the place it's not quite the same as folks personal experience.

time for some web hunting through those links you kind peeps have sent & check out some of those burbs!

thank you!

OS

ps - I'm a "she" rather than a "he"