Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Oz? Or possibly NZ?

Where to live in Oz? Or possibly NZ?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to live in Oz? Or possibly NZ?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...005961,00.html - Couldn't get much cheaper than this but it may be in demand.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by flip
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...005961,00.html - Couldn't get much cheaper than this but it may be in demand.
Humidity would not be a problem. Nor would spectacular mountain scenery.

It would definitely take a special type to want to live there.

Would suit reformed shopaholic

WW
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tim_the_taf
200 grand ???? 4 x 2 house round the corner from us in perth is up for 4.9million. In your dreams dude. Qld is humid, WA isn't, and its a lot bigger. I'm from rural Wales as well, and if you want something that looks like Snowdonia, go to NZ. If you want decent weather come to Aus. If Aus, because Perth's so expensive now, lots of people are going to Brisbane and Melbourne instead. The weather's crap in Melbourne, so its either Brisbane or Perth depending on your preference. Never been to Brisie so can't comment, but you can live in a bush block less than an hour from Perth quite easily. Just have to pay for it...

Oh, and of course Aus gets snow in the south eastern mountains in winter. More than the UK gets these days.
Hi Mate,

Dreaming?

The reason I recommended Southeast Qld and not Perth is largely due to cost. Perth is more expensive than Sydney now with an average property being 9.5x average wage. Who would want to live there? Also it's too far from anywhere...

Since I have lived in both Perth and the Gold Coast, I may be better placed to comment on both. And yes since the Gold'y is largely a tourism based economy, property prices haven't grown at the same rate as Melb/Syd/Perth/Bris and this is especially true once you move inland 20/25mins...

Stellios, check out www.realestate.com.au to see what's available for your money (whether buyin or renting). You will quickly see that you can indeed get a couple of acres with a 4 bed house for £200k (which is AUD$451,404 at today's exchange rate). Dreaming has nothing to do with it....
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

stellios is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the site we've been checking out. The 'Tallebudgera Valley' looks to be the kind of place that would tick all our boxes. Do you know of any similar areas we should consider? Obviously our biggest problem is me securing a job as I will be the main lead visa wise etc. At the moment it seems I may have to work in Brisbane.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stellios
That's the site we've been checking out. The 'Tallebudgera Valley' looks to be the kind of place that would tick all our boxes. Do you know of any similar areas we should consider? Obviously our biggest problem is me securing a job as I will be the main lead visa wise etc. At the moment it seems I may have to work in Brisbane.
Yeah Tallebudgera Valley is the exact kind of area I'm talking about...

Other areas are: Currumbin Valley, Guanaba, Nerang, Mount Nathan, Tallai, Advancetown, Gilston, Helensvale, Mudgeeraba....

As you say, Brisbane may be the best for work so Nerang may be your best option as there's a train to Brisbane (45min). You can also catch the train from Helensvale and Robina...

I found an amazing 15 acre block just the other day in Nerang with a gorgeous colonial style house for $879k (£390k)... That's the only kind of dreaming I'm doing!!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:34 am
Just Joined

tim_the_taf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by autorock
Hi Mate,

Dreaming?

The reason I recommended Southeast Qld and not Perth is largely due to cost. Perth is more expensive than Sydney now with an average property being 9.5x average wage. Who would want to live there? Also it's too far from anywhere...

Since I have lived in both Perth and the Gold Coast, I may be better placed to comment on both. And yes since the Gold'y is largely a tourism based economy, property prices haven't grown at the same rate as Melb/Syd/Perth/Bris and this is especially true once you move inland 20/25mins...

Stellios, check out www.realestate.com.au to see what's available for your money (whether buyin or renting). You will quickly see that you can indeed get a couple of acres with a 4 bed house for £200k (which is AUD$451,404 at today's exchange rate). Dreaming has nothing to do with it....
if you can find 2 acres in perth for 200k, good luck to you. don't know when you lived here, but you're still dreaming old son.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

if you can find 2 acres in perth for 200k, good luck to you. don't know when you lived here, but you're still dreaming old son.
Mate, don't know who's posts you're reading.

I'm talking about SE Queensland. I never made any claims about property in Perth except that is was hideously expensive (btw, if you actually own your place in Perth, hang on tight while your property price crashes!!)

I usually find it best to read someone's post before criticising them.

For the third time (all together)... yes, you can buy 2 acres with a 4 bed house on the Gold Coast Hinterland from £200,000.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stellios
There's a few hospitals on the GC. Gold Coast Hospital and Tweed Hospital both have pediatric departments. Don't think the others do.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

[QUOTE=tim_the_taf;6791504]200 grand ???? 4 x 2 house round the corner from us in perth is up for 4.9million. In your dreams dude. Qld is humid, WA isn't, and its a lot bigger. I'm from rural Wales as well, and if you want something that looks like Snowdonia, go to NZ. If you want decent weather come to Aus. If Aus, because Perth's so expensive now, lots of people are going to Brisbane and Melbourne instead. The weather's crap in Melbourne, so its either Brisbane or Perth depending on your preference. Never been to Brisie so can't comment, but you can live in a bush block less than an hour from Perth quite easily. Just have to pay for it...

Oh, and of course Aus gets snow in the south eastern mountains in winter. More than the UK gets these days.[/QUOTE

'The Weather is crap in Melbourne' hahahah

Have you lived here in Melbourne have you? and on what standards are you talking about! Another joker who is going of reputation of places without looking into the facts or even visting! Mate if you lived somehwere with winters like Spain or Italy.. on average even warmer than madrid and warm to hot summers, yes we get summer temps as hot as Perth, above 40 dergress, I would class that as pretty good weather compared any where in Europe, so how can you say the 'weather is crap in Melbourne', oh and to top it off i think there is a lot more happening in Melbourne and that crappy little isolated outpost you call home now on the west coast! What has perth got to offer in the lifestyle stakes that Melbourne cannot! Nothing my friend, miles behind and no sign of catching up!!! and also people are moving from Perth to Melbourne because of house prices? No mate they are moving cos there is nothing there!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:50 am
Just Joined

tim_the_taf is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=29palms;6796130]
200 grand ???? 4 x 2 house round the corner from us in perth is up for 4.9million. In your dreams dude. Qld is humid, WA isn't, and its a lot bigger. I'm from rural Wales as well, and if you want something that looks like Snowdonia, go to NZ. If you want decent weather come to Aus. If Aus, because Perth's so expensive now, lots of people are going to Brisbane and Melbourne instead. The weather's crap in Melbourne, so its either Brisbane or Perth depending on your preference. Never been to Brisie so can't comment, but you can live in a bush block less than an hour from Perth quite easily. Just have to pay for it...

Oh, and of course Aus gets snow in the south eastern mountains in winter. More than the UK gets these days.[/QUOTE

'The Weather is crap in Melbourne' hahahah

Have you lived here in Melbourne have you? and on what standards are you talking about! Another joker who is going of reputation of places without looking into the facts or even visting! Mate if you lived somehwere with winters like Spain or Italy.. on average even warmer than madrid and warm to hot summers, yes we get summer temps as hot as Perth, above 40 dergress, I would class that as pretty good weather compared any where in Europe, so how can you say the 'weather is crap in Melbourne', oh and to top it off i think there is a lot more happening in Melbourne and that crappy little isolated outpost you call home now on the west coast! What has perth got to offer in the lifestyle stakes that Melbourne cannot! Nothing my friend, miles behind and no sign of catching up!!! and also people are moving from Perth to Melbourne because of house prices? No mate they are moving cos there is nothing there!
I used to work in Dandenong/ Frankston. So check your facts before you have a go at me sunshine. Melbourne winters are crap. You stick to Melbourne, I'll stick to WA.:curse:
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

[QUOTE=tim_the_taf;6798532]
Originally Posted by 29palms

I used to work in Dandenong/ Frankston. So check your facts before you have a go at me sunshine. Melbourne winters are crap. You stick to Melbourne, I'll stick to WA.:curse:
So if Melbourne Winters are Crap, where the average temp for melbourne this winter was 14.9 degrees (June to August), plenty of showery days and plenty of sunny days, What would you call winters in The UK where you come from?? If you are basing that they are crap in Australian Standards, I guess Melbourne is colder in the Winter than most other capitals in Oz, but how can you say they are crap compared to the UK standards or even Spain or portugal?..What would you call Winters in the UK? My point is anyone who has lived in the UK all their life and moved to Melbourne in the winter would not call the winter crap! it would be a vast improvement for anyone! It amazes me that some brits come to Oz and all of sudden they turn there nose up and have high standards of weather. Anyway what would you do in WA if the weather was crap?? Nothing!, at least in the Winter there are tons of things to do in Melbourne without the weather!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is entitled to have their opinion about places, can we have a bit more acceptance and a little less of the "crap" throwing please.....
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=29palms;6814608]

So if Melbourne Winters are Crap, where the average temp for melbourne this winter was 14.9 degrees (June to August), plenty of showery days and plenty of sunny days, What would you call winters in The UK where you come from?? If you are basing that they are crap in Australian Standards, I guess Melbourne is colder in the Winter than most other capitals in Oz, but how can you say they are crap compared to the UK standards or even Spain or portugal?..What would you call Winters in the UK? My point is anyone who has lived in the UK all their life and moved to Melbourne in the winter would not call the winter crap! it would be a vast improvement for anyone! It amazes me that some brits come to Oz and all of sudden they turn there nose up and have high standards of weather. Anyway what would you do in WA if the weather was crap?? Nothing!, at least in the Winter there are tons of things to do in Melbourne without the weather!
Can't believe people would get this upset
because somebody "dissed" their weather!!

You couldn't make it up