Reload this Page >

Where to live in OZ??

Where to live in OZ??

Old May 21st 2009, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live in OZ??

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
OK so you can make yourself look fairly stupid with little help from anyone else
I take it sarcasm is over your head?
Old May 21st 2009, 12:24 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm
In Queensland and north Australia there isn't a traditional summer, autumn, winter and spring. Just the two wet and dry seasons. The wet season has just been extended as it hasn't stopped raining.
It may be raining but it well past wet season. I may have some idea due to living here.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:29 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
It may be raining but it well past wet season. I may have some idea due to living here.
I realise that, it is the changing climates; an Indian wet season if you like. A bit like Melbourne at the moment. 21C today in mid May and hardly any rain all year.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
I realise that, it is the changing climates; an Indian wet season if you like. A bit like Melbourne at the moment. 21C today in mid May and hardly any rain all year.
Not that it really matters but the wet season rain finished a few month back and then we actually had a dry spell - my lawn started to look a little dry and lunchtime football has been warm and dry for a while. This rain that has appeared is dry season rain, if that makes any sense, because it is cold winter type rain starting early in the day, unlike the warm stormy rain we get in late afternoons in summer. Has greened everything up nicely and hope it now goes away and our normal beautiful warm (21c) and dry (27 dry days/month) winter appears.

Last edited by fish.01; May 21st 2009 at 1:00 pm.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:54 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01
Not that it really matters but the wet season rain finished a few month back and then we actually had a dry spell - my lawn started to look a little dry and lunchtime football has been warm and dry for a while. This rain that has appeared is dry season rain, if that makes any sense, because it is cold winter type rain starting early in the day, unlike the warm stormy rain we get in late afternoons in summer. Has greened everything up nicely and hope it now goes away and our normal beautiful warm (21c) and dry (27 dry days/month) winter appears.

Ee's got a lawn - a LAWN I tells ye!

What's a lawn?
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Ee's got a lawn - a LAWN I tells ye!

What's a lawn?
Don't see em down there anymore heh...your drought has to break eventually....don't concrete them all and turn them into car parks
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:15 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

No, not many lawns left here. A guy down the road has even Astro-turfed his nature strip!
Old May 30th 2009, 7:54 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DrWho
and me...
and me
Old May 30th 2009, 11:31 pm
Banned

tester23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SJR
and me
"Where to live in Aus" is like asking where one should live in Europe. You have to remember that Aus is a continent as well as a country so there is every imaginable climate, and more!

The people are essentailly the same the country over though so there isnt really much you need to know from that side of things
Old May 31st 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sirbla
Guide to Australian cities:
Canberra - cold boring small no coast
Brisbane - humid beaches dirty
Sydney - lively expensive big
Melbourne - wet overpriced interesting
Hobart - cold wet boring
Adelaide - hot beaches relaxed
Perth - boring faraway hot

Hope that helps
Take it you have lived in all these places then!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UncleKev
I am a bit biased but I would suggest that Canberra is the best place to live in Australia.

Ideal size, lowest unemployment in Australia, easy acceess to Sydney without the hassle of living in that over-crowded rat race, access to the coast and to the alps.

Its one of Australia's best kept secrets. Most Aussies dont want to live here because it goes down to below freezing point in Winter and is not on the coast.
Its also bloody dead at weekends!!! I actually like the place but think it has its limits with family activities and expecially teens. You can get a lot for your money though and some pretty bland new builds are going up if you want a new estate home.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:17 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sirbla
Guide to Australian cities:
Canberra - cold boring small no coast
Brisbane - humid beaches dirty
Sydney - lively expensive big
Melbourne - wet overpriced interesting
Hobart - cold wet boring
Adelaide - hot beaches relaxed
Perth - boring faraway hot

Hope that helps
Isn't Perth only far away if you are on the east coast??? If you did this being based in Perth you might consider all the others far away themselves!! lol

They are of course generalisations and I have only limited experience of most of them but agtree with Sydney, Adelaide, Canberra and Melbourne somewhat. If the OP has never been to Oz it is a really really difficult decision and even taking a trip over here and trying to visit as much as possible to see what is available can only do so much. I would do extensive job search online. Then see what salaries/housing is available, then schools, then preffered lifestyle. The just bloody go for it, get over here and rent for a while, no need to buy until you have had a really good look and are truly happy with your choice of location. If not, then get hubby to work away for a few weeks in the other optional destinations and fly to them at weekends, can be fairly cheap at the moment, so all family can look at the areas.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mohogony
Thats obviously your opinion of those places ,l wonder if you have even been to most of them, theres plenty of people who actually live in those cities that find it nothing like you described, theres also hundreds of smaller cites in OZ, Newcastle, wollongong, Cairns, TOwnsville, Surfers paradise, Ipswich, Tamworth , Dubbo ,Broken Hill, Darwin, Wagga Wagga, Bendigo, Ballarat, Warrnambool, LAunceston, Orange, Bathurst, Albany, Bunbury, Horsham ,Hamilton, Moe, Mt Gambier ,Naracoorte and hundreds of others.

Some of those places are in the middle of no mans land!! Broken Hill = dust and errr dust!! Nice place to live if you like errr dust!! actually hot and more dust!!