British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Where to live in Orange, NSW? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/where-live-orange-nsw-647660/)

zakuro Jan 6th 2010 2:48 am

Where to live in Orange, NSW?

Will move to Orange by myself very soon. Where can I find apartment, house sharing and all those sorts of ads online for this area? Google gave me no satisfying result...

moneypenny20 Jan 6th 2010 3:27 am

Re: Where to live in Orange, NSW?

realestate.com.au

knockoff nige Jan 6th 2010 3:28 am

Try www.gumtree.com.au and search for orange

mulben Jan 6th 2010 6:22 am

Originally Posted by zakuro (Post 8222005)
Will move to Orange by myself very soon. Where can I find apartment, house sharing and all those sorts of ads online for this area? Google gave me no satisfying result...

http://www.homehound.com.au/rent/houses/orange/
or
http://agents.realestate.com.au/cgi-...A&_p=true&p=10
check Rental Stocklist

Orange has a Ag campus associated with Sydney Uni so rentals are available but may be difficult when Uni goes back.
(cheaper short term rentals)

seang Jan 6th 2010 6:36 am

I remember someone on here having orange in as their location maybe they can pick up on the thread and give some info. If i see the username will post it here.

btw - been through orange a fair few times. I like it. Can I ask what pulled you there? (gets very cold)

Scotty1 Jan 6th 2010 6:40 am

www.domain.com.au

is also a useful site. There is quite a lot of choice for lettings in Orange, and several agents do lettings. Most of them are online, although they can be a bit behind in removing property already let. We found somewhere without a problem.

Good luck
Scotty

zakuro Jan 7th 2010 1:05 am

Thanks so much everyone for the informative reply!!!
Those links are exactly what I'm looking for~

Seang, I just got a job offer from Orange Base Hospital, and will go there for work. Really glad to know it's a good place to live! Would you mind telling me more about the town, surroundings, and so on? Really appreciate it!!!

Swerv-o Jan 7th 2010 1:29 am

Originally Posted by zakuro (Post 8224737)

Seang, I just got a job offer from Orange Base Hospital, and will go there for work. Really glad to know it's a good place to live! Would you mind telling me more about the town, surroundings, and so on? Really appreciate it!!!

Stopped in Orange myself - I liked it too - There was a nice pie shop on the main drag in. It looks like the sort of place that is just big enough to have a reasonable social life. There isn't much after Orange apart from Dubbo - after that it becomes pretty grim little mining towns like Cobar.

I have always wanted to head back to Orange for a weekend to see what it's really like. We were planning to stay there so we were local for the Supercars at Bathurst, but we ended up staying in Lithgow instead. that really was awful - Orange seemed much nicer!

I hope it works out for you!

S

Scotty1 Jan 7th 2010 2:15 am

Orange Base Hospital is right in the centre of town. Orange itself is a growing town of about 38k people with a good variety of sectors to keep the economy stable. As well as the hospital, it has a really good selection of food/wine/restaurants, good variety of shops and services, and I have found it really friendly and welcoming. Its 3.5 hours to Sydney on a pretty good road, and so far I haven't found anything a problem to obtain.
Housing is relatively cheap, lifestyle is pretty laid back and it doesn't get too hot in summer. They apparently have cold winters, but it doesn't really get to freezing so that's not cold in my view!
Only problem is a lack of water combined with a lot of gardeners, which makes for unhappiness in some people. There are quite heavy water restrictions in place, and people obsess about how much rain they have/have not had.
Its a growing area for weekends away, with the vineyard tours and foodie places, and much much better than Lithgow!
Loving it so far!
Scotty

Swerv-o Jan 7th 2010 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Scotty1 (Post 8224919)
Orange Base Hospital is right in the centre of town. Orange itself is a growing town of about 38k people with a good variety of sectors to keep the economy stable. As well as the hospital, it has a really good selection of food/wine/restaurants, good variety of shops and services, and I have found it really friendly and welcoming. Its 3.5 hours to Sydney on a pretty good road, and so far I haven't found anything a problem to obtain.
Housing is relatively cheap, lifestyle is pretty laid back and it doesn't get too hot in summer. They apparently have cold winters, but it doesn't really get to freezing so that's not cold in my view!
Only problem is a lack of water combined with a lot of gardeners, which makes for unhappiness in some people. There are quite heavy water restrictions in place, and people obsess about how much rain they have/have not had.
Its a growing area for weekends away, with the vineyard tours and foodie places, and much much better than Lithgow!
Loving it so far!
Scotty

Awesome. I may have to get my act together and venture up for a weekend...

S

seang Jan 7th 2010 5:25 am

Well done on the job. Scotty1 seems to be local and have more info than me.
Like others been to lithgow , errrrr what can I say ..... wouldnt live there.
However Orange and Mudgee are lovely. Vineyards near by and they do some very decent wines and I found the locals very helpful. A real country town feel to it and you will get to know most people fairly quick.
Nice little nooks and crannies around to explore. (hopefully you have a car?).
Enjoy it - its one of 5 places on my "get a job and live places"

TiddlyPom Jan 7th 2010 5:28 am

Originally Posted by seang (Post 8222297)
I remember someone on here having orange in as their location maybe they can pick up on the thread and give some info. If i see the username will post it here.

Ponyrama.

ponyrama Jan 7th 2010 8:50 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom (Post 8225202)
Ponyrama.

You rang!!!!!!!

Hmmm......I think my opinion is best left out of this thread to be honest. :blink:

I guess it depends what you are used to but I can tell you one thing for nowt - the surfing in Orange is terrible. There's never a decent swell on Lake Canobolas and none of the sports shops sell wax.

And depending on when you get here, you may find that the hospital has moved! :eek::thumbsup:

ponyrama Jan 7th 2010 8:58 am

You'll find it difficult to find a rental until you actually get here. Estate agents are pretty unhelpful when it comes to renting. You need to view before they will even take an application.

The hospital will usually have some temporary accommodation to put you in when you first get here until you find something. There are a few areas that are cheaper but less desirable than others. People will be honest about which are the bad areas though so make sure you ask!

Good luck with your move!

zakuro Jan 24th 2010 5:52 am

Hi Ponyrama, do you happen to know any detail about the hospital's recent redevelopment? Is it already moved? Where is it moved to? I googled about this project and found some horrified result. Seems like the reconstruction is badly bungled and has even run the hospital down... Hopefully not as serious as I heard about.