Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Orange, NSW?

Where to live in Orange, NSW?

Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:20 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Orange, NSW?

Originally Posted by zakuro
Hi Ponyrama, do you happen to know any detail about the hospital's recent redevelopment? Is it already moved? Where is it moved to? I googled about this project and found some horrified result. Seems like the reconstruction is badly bungled and has even run the hospital down... Hopefully not as serious as I heard about.
Hi Zakuro

The Base Hospital is being completely rebuilt on the Bloomfield Campus which is on Forest Road to the south of town.

As far as I know its due to open early 2011 and the project is running on time as far as I am aware. Havent heard any horror stories but I'm sure the slightest little thing makes the news and gets blown out of all proportion - not much else happens in Orange. Which is not a bad thing in some respects.

Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:13 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Orange, NSW?

Orange is a nice town, one of the best inland regional centres in NSW (or Australia, for that matter) in my view, with a good housing stock and good amenities.

Owing to its altitude, its climate is unusually cool for inland NSW, and the very hot weather experienced in places like Dubbo and so on further west is usually tempered, and summer nights are generally cool enough to sleep. In can snow in the winter, and winters can be drab and grey, although equally there can be glorious winter days: sunny and crisp. Winter nights are sometimes not as cold as some other places in the area (e.g. Blayney, Bathurst), although the overall temperatures are probably lower than in any other population centre in the Central Tablelands except Oberon.

Traditionally known as an apple-growing area, much of the orchard area has more recently been given over to vineyards, with cool-climate wine production. Some of the wine is very good.

The area is a bit of a foody's delight, with lots of eateries and so on in Orange itself and in surrounding small towns.

The biggest drawback must be the poor access to Sydney: the road over the Blue Mountains, although somewhat improved in recent years, is still pretty ghastly, and train services are not what they once were. You can fly, though I have no idea how much that costs.

It's a place I've always fancied spending some time in...