Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in NSW outside of Sydney.

Where to live in NSW outside of Sydney.

Old Jan 12th 2020, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Archi_Lots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in NSW outside of Sydney.

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are moving to Australia from the UK and looking to live in a city in NSW outside of Sydney..any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 9:22 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in NSW outside of Sydney.

Originally Posted by Archi_Lots
Hi everyone,

My partner and I are moving to Australia from the UK and looking to live in a city in NSW outside of Sydney..any recommendations?

Thanks.
How far out of Sydney, how big a city do you want to live in, what will you do for work?
Old Jan 13th 2020, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is getting crazy.

Visa first, then come back and spam us with multiple threads about "where to."

You have a thread you started yesterday saying you were moving to regional Victoria and another one saying Canberra.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 1:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I think this is getting crazy.

Visa first, then come back and spam us with multiple threads about "where to."

You have a thread you started yesterday saying you were moving to regional Victoria and another one saying Canberra.
OP will not likely get an invite for 189 as not enough points so looking to regional areas that will sponsor their occupation as a pathway to a visa and making the move. They just haven't explained this well and rather than keeping it in one thread, they have multiple, possibly as people generally reply to threads about where they live.

From what I've seen, VIC is not likely to be a possibility so that will leave regional NSW or ACT. OP and partner are both architects.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 3:22 am
Asian nomad

scrubbedexpat019 is an unknown quantity at this point

No much work out of the big cities for architects in Australia nowadays. This from one who is, or was - I retired in 2012 after I sold my practice. We struggled at times for work over 20 years but somehow managed, usually with government contracts. Apart from the big name players, this is sadly the story for most architects here. There is an oversupply and the market is saturated, mostly at either end, the young'uns with a fresh degree but few skills or achievements who are willing to work for peanut wages, and the older set who've either been made redundant or hit by closures and can't get back into the field. A few architects I know in Melbourne work as courier-drivers. Much like lawyers...

I suggest the OP and partner should contact the relevant professional association/s in whichever state/s they intend to settle in for advice and information - so far it seems they have no visas but are poking their fingers in every state, which suggests to me that they are 'fishing' for whatever info they can get. Which is okay, but they have to be more realistic and plan well ahead.

If they can't make the 189 criteria there isn't great hope for work in so-called 'regional centers' - I really cannot see them making a great success in the profession in places like Bundaberg, Albury/Wodonga or Port Pirie. The capital cities, maybe. Only maybe. No-one will promise anything. Consider visiting first, traveling to the states they consider they would like to see and live in, and then making an informed decision, seems the sensible way to go. That is, if they can afford it. Living costs are high in Australia and about to go up again in view of the high probability of an economic recession here later this year.

Regrets if this pricks your balloons but post-bushfires stark reality is fast becoming the 'new real' in Australia.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Architects are a dime a dozen. The only money in it is if you own your own practice. This is not just Australia but globally. The reason why many architects career change.