Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live on NSW Central Coast?

Where to live on NSW Central Coast?

Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:16 am
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live on NSW Central Coast?

Hi,

My family and I are emmigrating in November and hope to settle along the Central Coast of NSW We have been looking at areas just outside Gosford, Terrigal, Wyoming etc, and wondered if anybody could give us some recommendations or advice on where we shouldn't move to!

We have 2 small children aged 2 & 3 so will eventually be looking for schools, so if anyone has any comments on a particular area and it's schools/pre-school I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

TOB
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:31 am
TOB
Forum Regular

Default Re: Where to live on NSW Central Coast?

Just wanted to push this too the top again! Surely someone knows something about the Sydney Central Coastal area?

Thanks

Originally posted by TOB
Hi,

My family and I are emmigrating in November and hope to settle along the Central Coast of NSW We have been looking at areas just outside Gosford, Terrigal, Wyoming etc, and wondered if anybody could give us some recommendations or advice on where we shouldn't move to!

We have 2 small children aged 2 & 3 so will eventually be looking for schools, so if anyone has any comments on a particular area and it's schools/pre-school I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

TOB
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:12 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TOB
Hi,

Many thanks

TOB
Hi I live North Sydney, but moved to Aus based on a holiday visit to Port Stephens 10 days!

Email me - I have a couple of colleagues I work with who live up that way. Woy Woy etc and work in Chatswood. They do not have kids but ask specific questions and they might have family etc to get the answers.

Personally I am not moving further North while I work in Sydney cause I hate the travel....so it depends on your work needs and all.

If you have Money ...then Port Stephens.........above Newcastle.....and the schools.........?Primary I need to ask more mates? Secondary........they start to come down to Sydney for the academic?

All this is only personal opinion, cause I moved over with older children.

Good luck with your search ..... also ask a few weeks from now and you might get a different lot on here

Cheers Sandra........fond of...........
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:57 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by TOB
Hi,

Many thanks

TOB
I lived for 6 months in Gosford, found it to be a bit rough and ready at times especaily at night but there are so many nice beaches and walks there it certainly outweighed the negatives. The fishing is great up that way to, plenty of places to do it. One of my favourite beaches is Patonga. Very secluded and beautiful.
Think this is where i will head when i go back.

http://centralcoast.nsw-australia.com/100977.php
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:58 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

Thanks Sandra,

How long have you been in Oz? Have you all settled?

We also chose that part of Oz based on a holiday and friends experiences too! However, we don't have any family or friends there to seek advice from.

We are going to organise a property to rent from the UK so when we arrive in Sydney in Nov we will have a base whilst we look for a house to buy. Our problem is we are not sure where to base ourselves on the Central Coast when we arrive!

Thanks for your advice.

Originally posted by Sandra
Hi I live North Sydney, but moved to Aus based on a holiday visit to Port Stephens 10 days!

Email me - I have a couple of colleagues I work with who live up that way. Woy Woy etc and work in Chatswood. They do not have kids but ask specific questions and they might have family etc to get the answers.

Personally I am not moving further North while I work in Sydney cause I hate the travel....so it depends on your work needs and all.

If you have Money ...then Port Stephens.........above Newcastle.....and the schools.........?Primary I need to ask more mates? Secondary........they start to come down to Sydney for the academic?

All this is only personal opinion, cause I moved over with older children.

Good luck with your search ..... also ask a few weeks from now and you might get a different lot on here

Cheers Sandra........fond of...........
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:32 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Have you work to come to in sydney, eg the centre bit? Or are you flexible. There are great places to rent for the short term and loads of people on this site will give great advice. My experience is North of Sydney living (in my own little bit). I live in St Ives and have been here coming up to two years. I like/love/loathe it depending on which day you get me!

My family are enjoying it very much, me hubby and two children, 11 and 13 now.

I rate the travel cause I work in Chatswood (apart from being in NZ for now) Hubby works in Gordon, all down the road (with a car or bus).

As for central coast - many many people I work with or husband travel in, (but not so far as we know to South Sydney jobs) so it is possible.

Please email me or PM with details or put them on the site and I can ask around as can others on this site!

Sydney can be expensive (as bloody st ives is) but can still be affordable if you do not make the mistakes we made!!!

Still.....centrl coast..if I did not hate travelling....I WANT TO GO!

have fun
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:47 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies,

Nicholls Clan: I have heared a few comments about Gosford being a little rough, then again we wouldn't want to settle right in the town but have thought about the surrounding areas. Good to hear that you like the Central Coast though! Any other advice appreciated!

Sandra,

My husband hasn't a job yet but would ideally like to find something before we get there. He is pretty flexible about where he works though and isn't too bothered whether he finds a job in the CBD or not.

Did you arrange your rental before leaving the UK? If so, did you find it fairly straight forward to organise? Glad to see that you and your family have settled in well. Did you have your jobs arranged before leaving the UK?

thanks

TOB

Have you work to come to in sydney, eg the centre bit? Or are you flexible. There are great places to rent for the short term and loads of people on this site will give great advice. My experience is North of Sydney living (in my own little bit). I live in St Ives and have been here coming up to two years. I like/love/loathe it depending on which day you get me!

My family are enjoying it very much, me hubby and two children, 11 and 13 now.

I rate the travel cause I work in Chatswood (apart from being in NZ for now) Hubby works in Gordon, all down the road (with a car or bus).

As for central coast - many many people I work with or husband travel in, (but not so far as we know to South Sydney jobs) so it is possible.

Please email me or PM with details or put them on the site and I can ask around as can others on this site!

Sydney can be expensive (as bloody st ives is) but can still be affordable if you do not make the mistakes we made!!!

Still.....centrl coast..if I did not hate travelling....I WANT TO GO!

have fun
Old Feb 24th 2004, 2:05 pm
Gone Senile Member

Hi TOB - I transfered with company, but full PR on husbands skills, to be honest I would not have considered living in Sydney had we not had the back up of my job. Melbourne was where we would have headed, but I am in IT and hubby in print so we have our own job priorities.

Rentals - you can easily arrange before you come over, short term fully furnished and also serviced if you have the money. But I also knew our 'stuff' would be over in 6 weeks. So we booked for a serviced apartment in Hornsby (not Sydney central at all!!). And arranged the long term unfurnished rental in that time - stuff came two days after (company move!).

Rentals - long term, cheapest are unfurnished and you have to be here to see them, really you have to know where you might be living long term.

Best advice on here is from hevs and HUP and Blue Robot - they have all done the travel thing with kids, and much cheaper than I did. If they are not on to reply to this - PM or email them.

Have great fun and ask away with questions - I might not have answers but there are loads of Sydnites (or is that Syshites) that have!

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2004, 2:24 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

Thanks Sandra your help is greatly appreciated.

Just out of interest what's the situation with printing jobs out there? Are they hard to come by. I have a friend who is a printer who may be interested in emmigrating.

Regards

TOB

Hi TOB - I transfered with company, but full PR on husbands skills, to be honest I would not have considered living in Sydney had we not had the back up of my job. Melbourne was where we would have headed, but I am in IT and hubby in print so we have our own job priorities.

Rentals - you can easily arrange before you come over, short term fully furnished and also serviced if you have the money. But I also knew our 'stuff' would be over in 6 weeks. So we booked for a serviced apartment in Hornsby (not Sydney central at all!!). And arranged the long term unfurnished rental in that time - stuff came two days after (company move!).

Rentals - long term, cheapest are unfurnished and you have to be here to see them, really you have to know where you might be living long term.

Best advice on here is from hevs and HUP and Blue Robot - they have all done the travel thing with kids, and much cheaper than I did. If they are not on to reply to this - PM or email them.

Have great fun and ask away with questions - I might not have answers but there are loads of Sydnites (or is that Syshites) that have!

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2004, 2:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by TOB
Thanks Sandra your help is greatly appreciated.

Just out of interest what's the situation with printing jobs out there? Are they hard to come by. I have a friend who is a printer who may be interested in emmigrating.

Regards

TOB
Print jobs for my husbands experience only (No 1 minder newspaper/books/mags) -

City - Sydney - who you know not what you know

City - Melbourne - stand more chance than Sydney

State - Victoria - go outaways and they give you a chance

City - Adelaide - I heard they are on the STNI (not sure I got the caps right - but the state might sponsor you!)

this is in our opinion only, I hope other UK printers come back on and tell me they got jobs in Sydney...........how?

Cheers Sandra