Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live near Sydney?

Where to live near Sydney?

Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to live near Sydney?

Should move to Bondi lots of Brits there and after that city to surf thing they stalk the streets singing "who are you? who are you?"
Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

The Block in Redfern is very handy for the city, and the locals are very friendly. Tell them you're looking for a British suburb and they will give you a warm reception. If invited for cocktails, topics such as Captain Cook and the First Fleet are good ways to break the ice.

Last edited by michael_w; Oct 8th 2009 at 9:53 am.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:44 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Hi Therese,

Its too easy to get to the CBD from Manly. 30 mins by ferry, 22 mins by Jet Cat, 40 mins by bus, hour by car!!!

I work in Potts Point/Woolloomooloo and its an hour for me door to door.

Compared to a lot of suburbs the journey is not too bad, especially by ferry/jetcat, relaxing on the harbour journey drinking a coffee, reading the paper and every now and then watching the whales and porpoises!!!

One thing I learnt here is that long commute times are common, Sydney is such a vast place and some of my colleagues travel from as far north as Gosford and as far south as Woolongong. I was used to a 15 min commute back in UK so even this hour was long to me, but I have got used to it and by and large public transport is not too bad. It costs me $46 per week for as many ferry, bus and train trips as I want and that covers most of the Sydney region.
Brilliant, thanks Paddyo! I haven't even been to Manly properly but for some reason it appeals to me. One of my aussie friends used to live there and I have to say, the idea of getting a ferry to work every day is VERY appealing!

cheers,

Therese
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
Brilliant, thanks Paddyo! I haven't even been to Manly properly but for some reason it appeals to me. One of my aussie friends used to live there and I have to say, the idea of getting a ferry to work every day is VERY appealing!

cheers,

Therese
Apart from days like today (which don't happen that often but...)

Clicky
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Meatbomb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the guidance I think I know where to start looking, north shore looks good for families. In fact we're now thinking of renting a serviced apartment for 2 weeks and then looking around then.

(Wow! Danjones1 you've got some anger issues mate, take a chill pill, if you read my first post you'll see why I was thinking of moving to a place with other British people around, so it would reduce the initial worry about a pretty major move for us, and then move out once we've got our feet. Man I thought all the Aussies were laid back and accepting. I object to being vilified for no informed reason.)
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:34 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meatbomb
Thanks everyone for the guidance I think I know where to start looking, north shore looks good for families. In fact we're now thinking of renting a serviced apartment for 2 weeks and then looking around then.

(Wow! Danjones1 you've got some anger issues mate, take a chill pill, if you read my first post you'll see why I was thinking of moving to a place with other British people around, so it would reduce the initial worry about a pretty major move for us, and then move out once we've got our feet. Man I thought all the Aussies were laid back and accepting. I object to being vilified for no informed reason.)
I think you're right wanting to move to somewhere where there are plenty of British people, only because being at home with a very young child can be extremely isolating and, generally those British people will understand exactly what your wife is experiencing when you get here. We moved to Perth when my kids were very small (5, 3 and 1) and it was a very lonely first few months for me there, because although the locals were friendly enough on the surface, they already had their support networks and none of them understood what I was going through. There was no BE then though (lots of 'meet up's' for people with kids of varying ages) and, although I don't think there are any 'British' enclaves here, there are plenty of us around!
Good luck with your move
Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:42 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Meatbomb
I'm thinking of taking a job in Sydney, and moving out there with my wife and 20 month old son, but we don't really know where to look, can anyone give some advice please?

We would like a British suburb so my wife won't feel so out on a limb in the first few months (Mum being at home on her own could easily feel isolated) and she can start making friends quickly, we'd also like a garden for little Ben, 2/3 bedrooms and close to the countryside. We have a budget to rent of about £2000pcm - is this realistic? All the property websites I've found so far are for city centre apartments.

Any advice please? Thanks

Nick
Sorry if you want a British suburb you will have to move to Perth, sydney is the most multicultural city in OZ if not the world, you will have lebanese, greek, Chinese, vietmnamese, indian, Serbian neighbours no matter what suburb you live in. In will be a united nations suburb not a British suburb.

Last edited by mohogony; Oct 9th 2009 at 12:46 am.