Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live near Sydney?

Where to live near Sydney?

Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Meatbomb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live near Sydney?

I'm thinking of taking a job in Sydney, and moving out there with my wife and 20 month old son, but we don't really know where to look, can anyone give some advice please?

We would like a British suburb so my wife won't feel so out on a limb in the first few months (Mum being at home on her own could easily feel isolated) and she can start making friends quickly, we'd also like a garden for little Ben, 2/3 bedrooms and close to the countryside. We have a budget to rent of about £2000pcm - is this realistic? All the property websites I've found so far are for city centre apartments.

Any advice please? Thanks

Nick
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live near Sydney?

Unfortunately, in Sydney, suburbs tend to be Australian. If you must live in a British suburb, I'd advise staying in Britain.

However if you're prepared to risk an Australian suburb, your budget is good and should get you what you want in quite a few areas.

Checkout the Hills District, Upper North Shore or Northern Beaches on
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Choo...rent&state=NSW.
All those are to the north of the city and are good areas with proximity to either National Parks or the bush. South, east or west of the CBD is far more built-up.

Good luck
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the steer on locations. Am I right in thinking that if the website doesn't state it, that the rental is per week not per month?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meatbomb
Thanks for the steer on locations. Am I right in thinking that if the website doesn't state it, that the rental is per week not per month?
Yes, rents are always quoted as weekly.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:21 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of taking a job in Sydney, and moving out there with my wife and 20 month old son, but we don't really know where to look, can anyone give some advice please?

We would like a British suburb so my wife won't feel so out on a limb in the first few months (Mum being at home on her own could easily feel isolated) and she can start making friends quickly, we'd also like a garden for little Ben, 2/3 bedrooms and close to the countryside. We have a budget to rent of about £2000pcm - is this realistic? All the property websites I've found so far are for city centre apartments.

Any advice please? Thanks

Nick
With that budget you can get a good place in most decent areas.
When you say British I assume you mean caucasian? We live in Manly, beach, restaurants, great family town (apart from after midnight when the seaside idiots come out to play!!) ferries and buses into the CBD. Lots of UK expats here and lots of parks for the kids too.
Countryside can be further out and I am not an expert on that or the commute, but maybe northern towns like St Ives or Terrey Hills might suit.
Just think of the wildlife, its not all cows and sheep here ya know!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

If you are moving to Sydney you should really think about where the job is and how long you are prepared to commute each day before commiting to a location to live as commute times can be a nightmare.

On a purely unbiased basis the best combination is the lower and upper north shore - suburbs which appear cheap (generally west) are cheap for a reason - you need to really visit and take a drive around.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:32 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
With that budget you can get a good place in most decent areas.
When you say British I assume you mean caucasian? We live in Manly, beach, restaurants, great family town (apart from after midnight when the seaside idiots come out to play!!) ferries and buses into the CBD. Lots of UK expats here and lots of parks for the kids too.
Countryside can be further out and I am not an expert on that or the commute, but maybe northern towns like St Ives or Terrey Hills might suit.
Just think of the wildlife, its not all cows and sheep here ya know!
Hi Paddyo,

how long does it take to commute to the CBD from Manly? It's one of the first places I wanted to live when we move but reckoned it might be a bit far to commute?

ta!

Therese
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:05 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

The only british surburb I can think of is called Perth.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:36 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
Hi Paddyo,

how long does it take to commute to the CBD from Manly? It's one of the first places I wanted to live when we move but reckoned it might be a bit far to commute?

ta!

Therese
Hi Therese,

Its too easy to get to the CBD from Manly. 30 mins by ferry, 22 mins by Jet Cat, 40 mins by bus, hour by car!!!

I work in Potts Point/Woolloomooloo and its an hour for me door to door.

Compared to a lot of suburbs the journey is not too bad, especially by ferry/jetcat, relaxing on the harbour journey drinking a coffee, reading the paper and every now and then watching the whales and porpoises!!!

One thing I learnt here is that long commute times are common, Sydney is such a vast place and some of my colleagues travel from as far north as Gosford and as far south as Woolongong. I was used to a 15 min commute back in UK so even this hour was long to me, but I have got used to it and by and large public transport is not too bad. It costs me $46 per week for as many ferry, bus and train trips as I want and that covers most of the Sydney region.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the info, looks like north of the city is ideal then. I was interested to see if there was a British quarter, rather like the Greek, French Polish quaters in London and Paris for example, that way it might have eased the transition until we found our feet. Looks like Sydney is a good all round mix.

The ferry journey sounds a lot better than the M3 or London Underground!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:11 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Thanks for all the info, looks like north of the city is ideal then. I was interested to see if there was a British quarter, rather like the Greek, French Polish quaters in London and Paris for example, that way it might have eased the transition until we found our feet. Looks like Sydney is a good all round mix.

Mate, having done both very regularly I can confirm that 30 mins on the ferry is far far better than any time on the M3 between 0630 and 0930!!!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

We (me and the missus) live in Neutral Bay which is about 30 mins walk from the CBD. And it's a walk across the Harbour Bridge which still makes me go a bit gooey! We're 20 mins walk from North Sydney & Milsons Point train stations, the Neutral Bay ferry wharf is 5 mins walk and there is a regular bus to and from the CBD on our door step.

We regularly head out to the Blue Mountains or down to the Royal National Park for our fix of 'countryside', both are a couple hours car ride.

We currently rent a 3 bed house with a good sized garden. It's really too big for us but we like our space. We currently pay about $3k/month. It would be perfect for your situation Meatbomb. Try searching Domain and Real Estate for 2/3 beds in the North Shore, Northern Beaches, Lower North Shore area.

Are you currently in the UK? If so, don't expect to get something before you arrive. Rentals go *very* quickly and you may have to look around for a while before you find anything decent.

As for the "British suburb". I can see why you ask but, now that I've been here for over a year, don't see the point. Sure it's nice to have a few mates who can understand what you're saying but if you're serious about living here then you have to integrate at some stage. Get to know the locals, they don't bite!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

If i were you i'd pick the location depending on where the job is based as Sydney public transport is half-baked at best and pretty strained. If you are based in North Sydney across the bay i'd live that side of the bay as its not easy to get to from certain soughtafter locations like the eastern suburbs.

Additionally if i was moving to Sydney for work i'd live next to a beach at least to start with - may as well enjoy it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

give the search function a try at the bar in the top, I think theres been a lot of posts regarding places to live in sydney
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:29 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

We would like a British suburb
Why are you leaving Britain then?!

Australians are not aliens, they are good, bad and in between too.

No doubt you probably tut at the fact Asian people live in ghettos in Britain, and you're about to do the same on the other side of the planet!

Shame on you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.