Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Melbourne- good for kids/dogs

Where to live in Melbourne- good for kids/dogs

Old Aug 16th 2010, 10:07 am

Lily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really nice
Default Where to live in Melbourne- good for kids/dogs

Hi
We are thinking about getting a transfer for my OH and moving to Melbourne for a few years.
I have searched the forums but any advice about possible nice areas to live in would be greatly appreciated.
We have two dogs and a baby boy. OH would be working in the CBD so public transport would be good- upto an hours commute would be good and we used to live in Cornwall so love the beach.
Any help to point us in the right direction would be great as we appreciate melbourne is huge!!.
cheers
lily
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to live in Melbourne- good for kids/dogs

Cool, you'll get heaps of replies soon but just need to know what sort of budget have you got to play with / Are you thinking renting or buying / For the commute are you thinking driving or public transport?

This will help people steer you in the right direction
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently Mordiallic is the be all and end all of Melbourne,

ehhhhhhh, sarcasm aside, it does seem a good option for you
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:49 am

Lily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really nice

hiya
renting to start with and maybe buying later.
OH doesnt mind public transport or driving but probably public transport with the option of driving occationally.
i have been looking and trying to find rental prices and some seem incredibly expensive- i dont think we want to pay more than say $700 a week as we want to save save save!! (lost everything in uk crash so have to save deposit up!!)
i am a teacher so nearish (30mins drive) to good schools for me to teach would also be great.
and if anyone could let me know rough costs for homebased childcare that would be great aswell.
cheers
lily
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3

Quite a few places better than Mordiallic Margaret.... you just need more money to go along with them.

I couldnt live there personally too far away from anything buzzy for me. My favourite suburb is Fitzroy, plenty of families live there. Parkville could be the best for State schools amenities etc... but houses start there at 1.5 mill. No beaches close by either.

Brighton, Hawthorn, Camberwell, Surrey Hills, Caulfield, Albert Park, South Yarra, South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Fitzroy, Richmond, Carlton, Clifton Hill, Ivanhoe, Kew, North Melbourne, West Melbourne, East Melbourne, Prahan, Bentleigh, Ormond and Hampton are probably all in front of Mordiallic IMO. They all have good schools nearby as well.

Best of luck
Old Aug 17th 2010, 2:18 am

blimey!! thats loads to look at :-)
what are the house prices like in those areas for 4bed?
and commutes into cbd??
cheers
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:05 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Your income will decide where you live. If its not high you won't be choosing anything...you'll go where its affordable.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Brighton, Hawthorn, Camberwell, Surrey Hills, Caulfield, Albert Park, South Yarra, South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Fitzroy, Richmond, Carlton, Clifton Hill, Ivanhoe, Kew, North Melbourne, West Melbourne, East Melbourne, Prahan, Bentleigh, Ormond and Hampton are probably all in front of Mordiallic IMO. They all have good schools nearby as well.

Best of luck
I doubt very much you could find a 4 bedroom house for $700/week in any of the suburbs I have highlighted... Yes they are great, yes schools are good, but rents are pretty high as well.
For info, here's a post I wrote some time ago on my area (not near the beach though). Good luck
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:50 am

no - if we rent to start then a 3 bed would be fine but if we stayed for a few years then we would be looking at buying a 4 bed.
sorry for confusion
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where to live in Melbourne- good for kids/dogs

Originally Posted by Margaret3

There's plenty of other places I could live in Melbourne Margaret, it's got countless nice suburbs. It's just that in Mordialloc I can live in a nice family area, walk to the beach, easy pleasant commute to the city, good schools, and I can afford a nice house.

The combination of all those items make it the right place for me!

BB