Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Melbourne

Where to live in Melbourne

Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:11 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to live in Melbourne

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Hope this little map helps

Al
Yes it did! Thanks

My only concern is that the property prices are going to go up the farther North towards to CBD we go. Are the property prices reasonable in Bayside area & Kingston areas? We also need to consider schooling. My two kids will be 3 1/2 & 2 1/2 by the time we make the move.

I've also been told that Frankston is going to get some substantial redevelopment, including a Marina. If that turns it into the next St. Kilda, the prices around there are likely to go up still further?

Of course, I imagine we'll probably have to rent initially. I can't see mortgage lenders wanting to take on newcomers that have no local credit history?

- CDM
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:55 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
Yes it did! Thanks

My only concern is that the property prices are going to go up the farther North towards to CBD we go. Are the property prices reasonable in Bayside area & Kingston areas? We also need to consider schooling. My two kids will be 3 1/2 & 2 1/2 by the time we make the move.

I've also been told that Frankston is going to get some substantial redevelopment, including a Marina. If that turns it into the next St. Kilda, the prices around there are likely to go up still further?

Of course, I imagine we'll probably have to rent initially. I can't see mortgage lenders wanting to take on newcomers that have no local credit history?

- CDM

No offence but from what I have seen it is doubtful that Frankston will ever be the next St Kilda. I think you should look at Chelsea and Bonbeach-shops not gorgeous but huge new Safeway complex being built and beach one of the best and prices relatively reasonable.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:51 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Property in Bayside is silly at the moment, but when you look at the auction results it's a different story. Almost as if the real estate agents and REIV want to inflate the market... but they would never consider that would they... Something like half of the auctions get passed in and a lot of developers are stepping back from them too. I would suggest waiting for the downturn.

Further south along the Nepean is fine, but a little sparse. Beach side of the track (Apendale, Edithvale, Bonbeach, Carrum) there doesn't appear to be much socially or commercially. That said I have only driven past there a heap of times, not visited (which may be the exact problem the areas face).

Frankston is being lauded as the next big thing after the Eastlink opens, but mostly by the commerce in Frankston and a lot of people are saying it's wishful thinking. What I know for sure is that the Eastlink will open up the Peninsula and the "proposed" extension to the Mornington Peninsula Fwy towards Sorrento will open up even more. About time too.

Al
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Chap who sits next to me at work commutes daily by car to CBD in 1 hour. Wongstonn who used to post on here commutes from Langwarrin to CBD via Frankston railway station, takes 1.5 hours door to door.

The new road will not help you get to the CBD as it doesn't go there.

Buzzy
I drive from the city to Cranbourne, Langwarrin areas every day and it takes me 45-60 mins going pretty fast, i am on the road before 6am and on the road back again by 3pm and i can assure you those going in the opposite direction will be taking much longer, even that early the traffic is already tailed back from where the Gippsland joins the Monash. Comming home in the afternoon the it looks like one big tailback and this is even before the true rush hour traffic.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Sergio Lopez is an unknown quantity at this point

Living in Frankston and commuting to the CBD is a nightmare, period. You'll want to slash your wrists after 1 week - guaranteed! EastLink does not help as it is a link to Ringwood from where you still have to take the Eastern Freeway into the CBD. Your other option would be EastLink up to the Monash Freeway into the CBD. The Monash is called the "car park" for a reason. Of course you could simply take the Nepean Highway all the way from Frangas to the CBD. In all the cases above you will not reach the CBD in under 60 minutes during peak hour. I'd say you'd be lucky to take 75 minutes. My suggestion move to Mordialloc / Parkdale / Mentone. Cuts commute time down to 40mins in peak (Neapean Hwy or Beach Rd are best options from here) and only 20 mins to Frangas.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:25 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sergio Lopez
Living in Frankston and commuting to the CBD is a nightmare, period. You'll want to slash your wrists after 1 week - guaranteed! EastLink does not help as it is a link to Ringwood from where you still have to take the Eastern Freeway into the CBD. Your other option would be EastLink up to the Monash Freeway into the CBD. The Monash is called the "car park" for a reason. Of course you could simply take the Nepean Highway all the way from Frangas to the CBD. In all the cases above you will not reach the CBD in under 60 minutes during peak hour. I'd say you'd be lucky to take 75 minutes. My suggestion move to Mordialloc / Parkdale / Mentone. Cuts commute time down to 40mins in peak (Neapean Hwy or Beach Rd are best options from here) and only 20 mins to Frangas.
I'm not considering living in Frankston North. I thought that was clear from my original post.

The areas you've mentioned are some of those that I am considering.

- CDM
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

You've mentioned prices and schools which are obviously an issue.

Prices for properties auctioned last week are here:

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/week...AuctionResults

so if you can check back the property details in suburbs you like (if they're still on line) then you'll have a better idea than the original sale prices.

As for schools, we've found some excellent schools in all 3 categories - public (government), religious (usually catholic who will accept non-catholics if there are spaces, are fee paying but much lower than private) and private. Albeit these are in the Ringwood, Doncaster, Box Hill areas. I'm assuming a similar situation exists in all the suburbs.

Away from the coast and the city you get more for your money.

Finally I can't remember when you're thinking of coming but it may be worth waiting about 6 weeks till Eastlink has time to settle as some areas may become bottlenecks but no-one can be certain how traffic will settle once school holidays and the free introductory period are over.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, I just wondered if anyone could advise if the Eastlink has reduced commute times into the city (more specifically Preston) from areas such as Frankston South, Langwarrin etc?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:22 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milliewoos
Out of interest, I just wondered if anyone could advise if the Eastlink has reduced commute times into the city (more specifically Preston) from areas such as Frankston South, Langwarrin etc?
Journey time from here in Malvern to Seaford/Frankston used to be 40 to 50 mins. Now its 20 to 30 mins.

We are then 10 mins from CBD.

The east link is more busy from the monash north ie the tunnels near Ringwood.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Journey time from here in Malvern to Seaford/Frankston used to be 40 to 50 mins. Now its 20 to 30 mins.

We are then 10 mins from CBD.

The east link is more busy from the monash north ie the tunnels near Ringwood.
Thank you.

Would you imagine that other routes, instead of using the Eastlink, would be quieter too? Mind you, my husband will be starting work in Preston at 7am, so I'd hope it isn't too bad at that time?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:36 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Would you imagine that other routes, instead of using the Eastlink, would be quieter too? Mind you, my husband will be starting work in Preston at 7am, so I'd hope it isn't too bad at that time?
http://www.nowwhereroute.com/tourism...oButton=Create

Personally if you already know he is going to work in Preston I would be looking for an area closer. Even at 7am - the return journey is going to be longer - rush hour starts from about 2.30pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
http://www.nowwhereroute.com/tourism...oButton=Create

Personally if you already know he is going to work in Preston I would be looking for an area closer. Even at 7am - the return journey is going to be longer - rush hour starts from about 2.30pm.
Yes it will definitely be Preston for at least a couple of years. I keep changing my mind on where we should look to rent when we arrive! We want to check out areas around The Basin, but don't want to rule out beachside either, we can't afford Bayside prices though!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:03 pm
Has left the building

Yes it will definitely be Preston for at least a couple of years. I keep changing my mind on where we should look to rent when we arrive! We want to check out areas around The Basin, but don't want to rule out beachside either, we can't afford Bayside prices though!
My advice would be to initially rent for 6 to 12 months near the job. That way hubby does not get exhausted and you can then "freshly" evaluate suburbs over the weekends.

What looks good to you on paper may not be the same on the ground. And whats right for someone else may not be right for you and your family.

House prices are lot running away so time is not an issue.

The Basin does look like a good place but refer my points above.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your advice. We will definitely rent initially, I'm just worrying because I don't want to have to mess the kids about too much changing schools etc. after the big move. Will take your points on board though thanks a lot for your replies